Yoyo Trends

I am amazed at how much yoyos changes in such short amounts of time. Like does anyone even throw undersized yoyos anymore?? :wink: Also modding fhz’s and whatnot. Where did the time go…

Although I prefer full sized yoyos i still love the feel of an undersized one. Something about the cute tinienes tinynes tianeynesssss. whatever, but my first yoyo was also an undersized one so maybe that has something to do with it

Personally I love undersized. Six of my ten throws are undersized and organic, they’re my favorite. But there is something to be said for full sized throws, they’re more geared for competitive play.

Undersized yoyo’s are fun every now and then but full sized are so much better for competing

Yeah I think performance vs. fun feel is the most popular in yo-yos nowadays.

Why yes…
YYF Hectic, YYF Frantic, YYF 888 (original), YYJ Mini Motu, YYJ HM, Anti-Yo eetsit, Dif-e-yo Bare Bones. Some of those may be on the high end size wise for undersized.

I miss when people like Vader used to mod fhz’s into unbelievable beast.:frowning:

anyone care to explain why they think ‘full’ sized yoyos are better or more geared for competition?

Longer spin, more stable, easier to hit strings, horizontal usually is nice.

In my personal expriances I am much faster with an undersized throw. But I can’t get nearly as techy with them as a nomalsize. So I would say that has a lot to do with it. And the obvious larger landing gap for increased accuracy. But hey, I’m no professional either. So I could be completely wrong.

RecRev Neuae for the funnies

Biggest trend I see, everybody seems to go just for best performance. I started 4 years ago and at that time, many people had both some good yo-yos for contest, but also many yo-yos focused more on fun play. You dont see that too often anymore.

So its been 4 years since this topic was first discussed, and I think maybe it’s time to talk about current trends.

Two trends I’ve observed are increasing width and decreasing weight (not necessarily in the same yo-yo though). It remains to be seen how far-reaching the design of the Edge Beyond will be, but ever-larger weight rims is something it appears to have inspired in others.

What other trend tracks do we seem to be on at the moment?

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say either of those are new trends. I actually don’t think those are even current trends anymore. 63-65g and 43-45mm has been the popular weight and width for the past 5 years. The Draupnir is 64g and 44mm, released in 2013 and those general specs have been very commonplace since 2014-2015ish. It’s not like we’ve been seeing sub 63g or +45mm yoyos much more frequently than we did 3 or 4 years ago. Yoyos that are beyond those ranges are still very much the outliers today just like they were 5 years ago.

I think we’ve kind of been at a plateau for a few years now. There’s been more emphasis on fun/chill + performance but at a competitive level, 56/43/64 has been seen as the gold standard since 2013.

Edit: going back to the previous response by bina in this thread though, I think people are starting to revert back to buying more throws for the fun factor rather than pure performance. Back when he posted that yoyos were really starting to get good so people were really focusing on those but nowadays it’s nothing special anymore so people are starting to enjoy more unique and quirky yoyos more again

4 Likes

Sounds like maybe there is a “performance -> fun -> performance -> fun…” trend cycle?

1 Like

I like throwing undersized yoyos for fun a lot. I especially like the 66 percent ones from Spingear.

1 Like