Why do you buy new yo-yos?

• To help find my preferences
  • To get more yo-yos that fit my preferences
  • To have a variety of different playing/feeling yoyos

0 voters

I was curious to see what everyone’s primary motivations were when buying new yo-yos.
I’m at the point where, because I’ve been out of the loop for so long, I’m just trying to nail down my preferences given that yo-yo designs have changed a decent amount since I was last around.

Once I do know what I really like I’ll just be looking for stuff that fits the criteria but is made by different manufacturers or with different materials.

I made the poll single choice because I’m really just looking for your overall philosophy and I’m sure people that only buy yo-yos that fit their preferences will buy something else just to have a different throw every now and then, just as those who buy a variety of stuff will inevitably have a shape/specs they lean towards more.

7 Likes

My answer isn’t up there. But I have two reasons…

1. I like yoyos.

2. I buy new yoyos from companies that I like to continue to support them.

22 Likes

@Durfee Durfee, Durfee, my friend, the answer is always it makes one smile. That’s why! Now for the real question. Why wouldn’t you buy a new yoyo? If you have a reason not to buy a new yoyo you need a life change! :laughing:

13 Likes

Can’t really argue with that.:wink:

4 Likes

I should have put other as an option I guess.

2 Likes

Never need an excuse to purchase a new yoyo, just the opportunity!

5 Likes

Before I liked having a variety of yoyos of different shapes and styles. As the years went by I discovered what I liked and that I wasn’t playing with the yoyos that didn’t fit my preference that much. So I’ve since narrowed my scope of what yoyos I buy to the ones I know I’ll probably like

So I guess I generally get more yoyos that fit my preference but within that range I like to have a variety of different feels.

3 Likes

Missing option:

• Because buying yoyos is an addiction I have not yet kicked.
16 Likes

Because I have low self control.
:roll_eyes:

11 Likes

Also…it’s got a LOT to do with the thrill of the hunt for me. I’ve spent hours in the past couple of months researching different throws and looking at photos and watching videos. I love the search for the next yo.

I also love collecting things though too. I rarely truly regret buying things for my hobbies…even if I don’t really use them. I like owning them and holding them and admiring them.

10 Likes

That and its a pretty cheap midlife crises

5 Likes

It hasn’t been cheap for me!

10 Likes

I think I actually went through a progression of all three options.

5 Likes

Yeah I’d only be picking up stuff I knew I would like if it weren’t for the fact that there’s a lot of yo-yo types I haven’t tried because those trends didn’t exist before.

I had my fill of trying different stuff so I would have different yo-yos to throw last time around and I ended up getting rid of almost everything that didn’t suit my preferences.

3 Likes

I really only buy something if there’s a specific person behind it whom I want to support and a specific idea which resonates with me. So yeah I don’t buy much the past few years.

7 Likes

I’m with Aaron on this, especially for small companies where I actually know the owners. That doesn’t stop me from buying from the big companies, but, there is something I like about feeling like I’m helping a friend.

3 Likes

I voted for “variety”, but in reality I am already starting to peg down my preferences more definitively, so I will soon gravitate more towards “fit my preferences”. Im already at the point where im avoiding new V’s because quite frankly the market is saturated with them and ive already found a few grail-types for me. I still need to get a true H shape, and I don’t think I have found a W that has yet to wow me into submission (could just be not my type). I will still probably shop for variety because I still believe in innovation. I don’t have any oversized throws yet, nor anything smaller than 50mm diameter. Still so much variety exists to fill out my collection.

Buying new yoyos is great for enriching your tricks with a new feel, and is the kind of thing that has yet to get old to me.

7 Likes

I buy new yo-yos to deny rare yo-yos to others! YEAH!

8 Likes

You’re probably holding onto a nickel Benchmark W, you diabolical fiend!

3 Likes

tenor

6 Likes