Why are freebird prices so high?

I noticed recently that the new Duncan freebirds are all quite pricey, despite them being 6061 aluminum, which doesn’t make sense to me since there are yoyos significantly cheaper for the same material, such as the yoyofriends shortcut. What makes these yoyos so much more expensive?

4 Likes

I feel like they’re kinda middle of the road in price, but maybe it’s cause I’m used to things being more expensive. I mean if you look at the Markmont P2, it’s 120$ and 6061.

1 Like

Duncan’s just milking Hank’s name, just like how they milked freehand nostalgia.

2 Likes

As far as I know, prices for most metals have seen a slight hike. I know unprld mentioned that they had to add some money to their new throws due to manufacturing cost so maybe that’s the same with Duncan?

1 Like

There are multiple parts and pieces that are press fitted for the body . I would imagine this would drive up labor and cost as well as add expense to the design process. On top of all of that it also is a signature yo-yo , and I have noticed a lot of signature releases are slightly more expensive. possibly for compensation purposes ?

Edit : it is actually doesn’t seem that high compared to other mono metals

12 Likes

I think the press fit metal cap has got to add significantly to cost. Plus its a signature so those are more expensive yeah, I agree with most people that this is middle of the road pricing.

3 Likes

Seems like there are three separate designs, which can’t be ideal for economies of scale.

I don’t really look for alloys to determine price point. There are $50 7XXX yoyos and 6XXX yoyos at twice the price.

1 Like

I bought it pretty much so I’d have something with his name on it. :joy:

But also, cool to know that Sean Perez was involved and it looks like a nice shape with caps (which I don’t think I’ve tried before aside from the Freehand AL).

If I had to guess these went through a few prototyping rounds as well.

Nothing wrong with buying something associated with someone u like. Also I got to know press fitting was involved so its a bit more justified now.