Why are colorways so important?

I told the sales guy at the dealership, that I wanted a silver car to match my grey house. He was like what? ??? I said well, yeah, I don’t want to have a car parked in front of my house on a regular basis, that makes the whole front of my house clash. He didn’t get it. :-\ But, I got the silver one, and I was happy. ;D

I’d never have a brown house and a green car. :stuck_out_tongue: When you spend a lot on something, it should be a color you like…and for whatever reason. There are some things I will not buy with color on them. For instance, almost all of my guitars don’t have paint on them. I think they look better in natural wood.

So, I don’t care how ridiculous stuff sounds to other people. It’s my money, and I’ll pick and choose how to spend it, and for whatever reasons.

1 Like

Sometimes I feel if the yoyo is just an ugly color while it spins I just don’t have as much fun with it.

There’s just something nice to me about a good looking throw.

With this said I probably wouldn’t turn up an offer for an ugly color yoyo I want.

When I buy from the BST, the awesomeness of the deal completely obviates colour selection. “Oh, a Puffin for $40 with almost no vibe or scuffs? Yeah, I don’t care what colour it is.”

When buying new, it’s a consideration of course. As TA says, I wouldn’t go into a store and buy a shirt without considering colour. Heck, sometimes colour is the MAIN concern-- “I really need a new blue button-down.” However, if I went into a mountaineering shop to buy a new backpack of a certain style and with certain features, I won’t pass on it just because they sold out of the “rust” colour and only have “olive” left. I’ll just buy the olive.

I can’t say I was over the moon about most of the Pride colours, either. But I got that pink, black, and red one because at least it was bold and risky…and I’m loving it! Turns out to be quite a looker while spinning!

For me, not only do specs and features outweigh colourway by a decent margin, but when I’ve ended up with yoyos I was “iffy” on for the colours, I’ve typically learned to love them.

I agree with Greg that playing with the yo-yo is more important than looking at the yo-yo to me. I look at specs first: size, shape, weight, then I look at color. I do try to take into consideration how it will look when it’s spinning, because that’s the state in which I want to see it most. Not just sitting on a shelf. But, it’s way down on the list of concerns.

But threads like this always die for the same reason. And it’s already been said by other people already, but everyone has their own preference and everyone has their own money. So they’re free to express it and spend it the way they want.

1 Like

Actually, I did see that post before I posted this thread. But I have been wondering this question for quite some time. And believe it or not, I actually read your posts on that thread and I thought they were all good reasons to pass on a yoyo. Although you mentioned colorways a little bit, I took yours (and everybody else’s) reasons other than colorways as well. I don’t just go “Ooh they are talking about colorways, their not buying it and their crazy”. Even though you did talk about colorways, what you said is totally not enough for me to think you’re “ridiculous”. Also, I have seen other things on colorway stuff around the forums, not just that forum post.

And I actually agree with everything you said, Mike.

^ Yeah, I can understand your curiosity about it. Because I met a few other people, like the sales guy at the dealership, who also didn’t see what was the big deal regarding colors. But, you lucked out and had a such a fun group of people to ask about it. ;D

I think some people out there think all colors are nice…in their own way. Then, there are those of us who really like some colors, and not others. That’s probably the difference.

Because some colorways are ugly. :slight_smile:

^^ TotalArtist Yeah, I totally understand where everybody here comes from, and it is totally fine to like different colors over another. I prefer certain colors over others. I just don’t see how to some people they are important as… how they are to some people. Taking things to higher extents such as skipping out on something they would get if it is a different color (assuming they know the specs ;)). BUT THOUGH I am not here to judge, that is just me. Go ahead and do, or say, or buy anything you want, but this is me. If you don’t like me, please ignore me. And yeah, if you are going to spend a lot of money on something, it might as well be a color you like, I understand that.

Uh…I think we’re still cool. :wink:

Because ash berry is 1 gram lighter then gravy boat.

http://www.colorcom.com/research/why-color-matters

No doubt more comes into play than many realize.

Obviously, the link above Is about 'color in marketing. But the relevance is the ‘Power and Importance of Color in the human mind’.

1 Like