Why are CLYW yoyos so popular?

No, people complain because… People?

2 Likes

I just like good yoyos

Still a better love story than Twilight™

OT:
To best understand why CLYW are so ‘Popular’ let’s look at the Wikidefinition of popularity:

"Popularity is a social phenomenon that dictates who or what is best liked, sometimes referred to as in vogue. Through [b]peer influence[/b], target objects can quickly skyrocket in how pervasive they are in society. The more pervasive something is, the more people have access to it. Since [b]popularity is judged in a social context[/b], the more people who [b]support or know something or someone[/b], the more popular it will then be judged. "

So, I've put the important parts of that in bold. A lot of the members on CLYW, are also active members of the yoyoing community, worldwide. They have been around longer than a lot of the companies that exist, and have proven themselves to the community via competitive scores, helpful insight and in general being contributive. Yoyoing is a very social hobby, with meets and competitions and forums, etc. People know the players. They know the company. Because of this, it is popular. 

To further expand on this, however, it is worth defining a form of popularity; Perceived Popularity.

Perceived popularity is a characteristic used to describe individuals who are well known for being popular.”

Everybody knows CLYW is popular, and so because of that, CLYW is popular.

My personal opinion is that CLYW makes quality throws. I hate the Peak and Gnarwhal, but I LOVE the Summit, Chief, Sasquatch and Yeti. Every ‘return top’ they make is unique and plays to different preferences.

It’s mostly hype it’s always has. I know this at a Yoyo club I used to go to a kid that could barely do rewind said and I reenact:

Yoyo kid: now the the best brand ever is CLYW

Me: have you tried one of their yo-yos before? (mind you I have)

Yoyo kid: no

Me: then why do you think there the best if you never tried one?

Yoyo kid: cause everyone else talks about them.

So yeah when everyone else talks about them people believe it even when they haven’t tried any of their yoyos. that and the company
Makes lots of yoyos and such a big deal.

well first off the clyw yo that disappointed wasn’t yours was it?
And yeah it may be overhyped but i don’t feel there overpriced and there splashes are awsome idk why your being negative
if you ever played with more then 1 CLYW you wouldn’t have posted this thread
maybe you rather spend $150 on a YYR then A Clyw
clyw is all I throw. Not to brag or nothing but it’s the brand I stand by
And I never touched a yo you said that’s better then CLYW
Because I support CLYW to the Fullest ;D

Oh hey, this thread again.

10 Likes

Personally I think while the prices are on par with high-end Japanese throws, CLYW yoyos are not. And that’s the issue. If they were sold for $80 - $110 they’d be on par with their competitors. They’re all just good 6061 yoyos. And you can find good 6061 yoyos (possibly better) for $80.

My issue is why they are so popular given the prices.

I agree with most of what JaredOverstreet said. They’re so popular because of marketing and social contagion.

And yeah, they’re good throws. But so is almost every yoyo priced over $100, and many priced under.

Anyway, I didn’t mean to repeat past discussions. I’ve only been posting here a month. Therefore I won’t push the thread any further. I was just curious, but I realized before even making the thread I would have an extreme minority opinion, by definition.

“Better”, as most people are aware, is utterly subjective.

I can afford “high end Japanese throws,” and I am interested in many of them! But I’ve played several of them and have made my choices based on what I enjoy. As it happens, there’s not a YYR or TP in my collection (yet), while there are 4 CLYW yoyos.

So called “high-performance” yoyos can sometimes be boring. Solid, amazing spin time, incredible stability. Bland. I don’t need bland. I play with toys for fun. :slight_smile: That said, Puffin 2 in particular shares a lot in common with “high end Japanese throws,” which maybe explains why a lot of the time I will still reach for the original Puffin instead of the 2!

Don’t worry about it. If you don’t get it, then you don’t get it. No one can teach you to “get it”. It’s preference. Not everyone is looking for Turning Point. While performance beasts, they often lack personality. CLYW has personality in spades.

CLYWs speak for themselves.

I’m sure if you tried a bunch of raw unanodized yoyos, from many different manufacturers without knowing which were which you would probably have many of your favourites be CLYW. To me, it seems the original post has a predisposition to dislike caribou lodge.

Monitoring trends in preference and well engineered marketing equals the machine that is CLYW. Many other companies that were ahead of the curve I machining without the hype have since died. GeneralYo is probably the only company that sells out as easily. Obviously is different as it is driven mostly by passion (not that the Canadians don’t have passion). SPYY made some of the greatest yoyos that future players may never throw.

The lodge makes really dope yoyos, whether you think they’re “competition ready” or not. Like Palli said it’s all about the skill of the player.

I think clyw is popular because their team is full of super cool guys who do super cool tricks. That’s a winning combo for sure!!

They’re good yoyos. The only thing is maybe a little over priced but I like their quality

To me it sounds like instead of making this a thread discussing CLYW’s popularity, as the title would suggest, you created this thread to start a conversation in which you could exhibit your own personal opinions and contest with others about who is right and who is wrong. The title of this thread should be, “Do you like CLYWs? If so then listen to me about why you’re wrong.”

I’ve wondered the same thing for a while. I’ve tried most CLYW’S now, and have just, today actually, found one I really like. I keep trying them for a few reasons:

1. There is hype there for some reason. Plenty of people have said they like this CLYW or that CLYW for some reason. 8 felt like I had to find one I liked eventually.

2. If you keep your eyes open, you’ll find most of them, eventually, for a good price in the bst, and you can always get your money’s worth back if you don’t like it.

3. You can’t deny that they have character. The throws themselves, although not my favorite so far, are fun, sometimes even just to look at.

Now, up to this point, I have owned multiple Yetis and Chefs because they seem to be the most hyped, and the easiest to get for a good price while guaranteeing you can get you money back. I really haven’t liked them much. Actually, my favorite was a Fools’ Gold Cheif. I’ve also owned a Cliff, Glacier Express, Avalanche, Gnarwhal, and now a Puffin. All have been ok, but the Gnarwhal was the first that I really enjoyed, and finally today, the Puffin is a throw I plan on always having in my collection.

That went on way longer than I had planned. I’ll stop now. Sorry.

No…to sum up what I said, I thought they don’t perform as well as similarly priced yoyos from other companies and have uninspired designs. I admitted it was an opinion and knew it was a minority opinion by definition.

How can it be “wrong” to like a brand of yoyos? I never said anything like that.

I just wanted to figure out why they’re so popular and I think I have. The End.

People waste time hating on companies they don’t even play.

#CheckYoSelf.

Yeah unfortunately, but the OP was not stating hate. He simply just wanted to know what made them so popular.

1 Like

I wasn’t addressing the OP directly, but after re-reading the OP I think my post applies. The OP uses the guise of questioning popularity to unleash some loaded criticism. I don’t play CLYW. So I don’t go around criticizing there colorways, marketing, or lack of dedication to ultra-competition friendly yoyos.

Thanks for being one of a handful of people to not vastly misconstrue my posts.

Also, to most everyone else… I’m a fair man. It’s possible I judged CLYW as a company too quickly. That said, I’m planning on buying a CLYW yoyo to see if I can understand the “fun” aspect better. Of all the ones I’ve looked at I like the specs on the Cliff the best. I like H-profiles more than organics and the Cliff was built for a 5A player so I figure it would be a good choice.

What do you all think? Is there a particular yoyo that epitomizes the CLYW experience?

EDIT: @ GCFY, Maybe I stepped over some social bounds or courtesies held within the yoyo community or something. I have a hard time understanding such things, or why people take umbrage at light criticism of their favorite products, etc., because I’m autistic. It was not my intent to “pick fights” but merely to ask a question and engage in light debate, but some people seem to have taken this personally. I’m not a “hater” and don’t appreciate the perhaps dozen or so times it’s been said in this thread based on distortions and exaggerations of what I actually have said.