who is your roll model in the yoyo world?

i look up to alot of people in the yoyo community…mostly cause im short

2 Likes

Cha-ching!!!

In a world of numbers that we strive to achieve one person comes to mind!

LL

Aaron Davis x1000
He is probably my absolute favorite player ever!

1 Like

Easy, Jensen Kimmitt! Knows how to throw, and I really dig that smooth flowing style. He understands that in the end, yo-yoing is for fun and that’s the most important thing

This dude.

https://facebook.com/TheLegendaryAwesomeChrisBarnes

But some days it’s

http://iamawesome.com/

Mad truth^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^°°°

Shinya Kido, Hiroyuki Suzuki, Christopher Chia :slight_smile:

I am the only role model I need.

Other than that, I do not have a single yoyo role model anymore.

I used to, but after seeing their true colors…nope.

^ Bang Bang.

recent-Jensen for the attitude and of course skills.
I like the movements of Zach Gormley a lot though. Good body flow.

oldschool- Ed Haponik

not sure if I’d call them roll models… but people I have a lot of respect for? There are quite a few, so I’ll throw out a few that aren’t probably as often thought of as the current contest kids… Dale Myerberg, Ed Haponik, Doc Pop, and countless others.

Kyle

There’s quite a few people I look up to, but the one person I look to the most would probably be Alexis JV. There aren’t many lefty front throwers in the yoyo community, and he is great at what he does.

I discovered him at a time when I was a bit self conscious about the way I threw (I am also a front thrower), because everyone else threw breakaways, and I was told a few times that I was doing it wrong. When I saw that he was sponsored by SPYY (my all time favorite company at the time) AND he was doing all his tricks from front throws I started to feel more comfortable with my yoyoing. It didn’t matter how you got your yoyo spinning. All that mattered was your skill, and what you were giving back to the community. Now I couldn’t care less what people say if they don’t like my yoyoing, because I “throw it the wrong way.”

Spencer, Takeshi, Ed, Drew, Chris M, Steve, Seth, Dave, Rashad, Bryce, Blake, Greg P…
There’s definitely a list. Some are more like “peers” than role models…

But I see qualities in them all that I would like to emulate.

Hopefully as I get to know people better, I can find things in all people that push me to be more passionate, genuine, thoughtful, creative, diligent, caring, gentle, honest, etc. etc.

definitely easier when you know someone “In real life,” but not always the case - and it’s one of the reasons why I’m grateful for the online community.

and now to put the kibosh that heartwarming sentiment and say…
REALLY YOU GUYS?!?! PAGES OF RESPONSES AND NO ONE REALIZED THE SPELLING ERROR?!?!

I take it all back. I’m disappointed in everyone.

#OhWellTheInternetz

For me it’s Ed Haponik

Not only is he crazy at fixed axle but his 1a stuff is always pushing the boundaries of yoyos
Just always thinking of new things to do with yoyos!

man… kind of daunting to be mentioned in this context. maybe i should rethink my plan to steal that truck from the convent. f-250 super duty though. they don’t need that towing capacity.

there are so many people. i could write a book covering the incredible people i’ve met and looked up to in yo-yoing. maybe i will someday. if i tried to cover them all in a post, i’d leave people out and that would feel awful. so here’s just 5 folks i legitimately want to be more like:

takeshi. just a genuine person who sees people with a clear and compassionate lens. we’re about the same age and like a lot of the same stuff (most of which he does better than me). always tries to see the best in people (which he also does better than me).
drew. one of the most universally creative people i’ve ever met. a lot of the naivete i have regarding things i believe i can do (not just in yo-yo) has been absorbed by watching and hanging out with drew.
steve brown. always looking for ways to improve upon what we do, and then he actually takes steps to make it happen. also a fiercely loving dad and a good friend who will give it to you straight. i’d have never expected him to reach out to me, but anytime i hit a rough patch, i get a text or a call from steve. and i know he’s like that with tons of other people too.
andre. the store’s tagline is “make the simple amazing”. i feel like he recognizes the “amazingness of the simple”, which i respect. in playing with toys, sure, but also with family, his relationships, his conversation. just a happy, understated guy with an awesome work ethic.
higby. he lives in our world, but i feel like he makes every aspect of it his own. maybe it’s his frontier-alaskan background, but he doesn’t seem to trust anyone else to make the world incredible FOR him.

2 Likes

I agree with Dr Awesome!

As smart as Ed Haponik, John Higby, and Andre Boulay.

As good as Jensen Kimmit, Charles haycock, Janos Karancz.

And as nice as the smart ones.

Well, that’s why I posted the picture of the Roll Model.

Harold Owens III
Tyler Severance

Paul Kerbel. I love how he uses the music to make his performance better and how he integrates his whole body.