Which Yoyo should I get? 888, Skyline maybe SuperStar

Hey guys. Which Yoyo should I get? The DNA, 888, or the Superstar. I don’t know a lot about either of them, but I have heard they are great Yoyos. Anyone feel free to tell me what style each yoyo works best for, which is really unresponsive, which has great spin times etc. Any info would help so fill me in. If anyone was wondering, I am learning advanced tricks now and that may effect which yoyo to get. So, give me your opinion! Thanks!

All of them are unresponsive, and all provide long spin times. If you could attempt to take a little survey for us to decide what yoyo it is you want, please do so. If there is a question you can’t answer, feel free to skip it :wink:
Here are the questions:

1. What size do you prefer? (Big, small, medium, etc)
  2. What shape do you prefer? (Be specific: Round Butterfly, Flat Rims, pointy shape, H-Shape)
  3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?
  5. Does color matter?
  6. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do?)
  7. What is your price range?
  8. What is your skill level?
  1. I havn’t tried small yet- I like the Idea. I feel like the DM is too big and my hands are really small
  2. Rounded or H-Shape
  3. Silicone or Pad
  4. Maintain
  5. Yes Red or Blue
  6. My Best trick is Kwijibo I am still learning
  7. Under $150
  8. Advanced (see #6)

So far I would see the DNA or Superstar to be great for you. The 888 is very undersized, so it isnt really good for you. But here is what I want you to do. It all comes down to this…Choose with shape you want. To elaborate, do you want more of an H-Shape, or a Rounded shape? Here are pictures to show you:

H-Shape:
http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyofactory/superstar/view/images/02.jpg

Rounded Shape:

http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyofactory/dna/view/images/02.jpg

Well, shapes don’t exactly do anything to spin times but if you count in physics and natural momentum, then yeah, it does spin longer not by much and maybe even not at all, but it doesn’t matter if your throw is decent. These shapes listed are all for string tricks. It’s all based on the preference of shape.

Rim weight does create longer spin times. I belive that if you test a Hitman versus LF in spin time, with both yoyos having the sam bearing, gap width and response type. You will end up seeing that the HM sleeps for a little bit longer longer. Rim’wieght also gives balance from what I’ve heard, which is kinf of the point with the G5. YYF made the SuperStar in a way that made the weight concentrate on the rims. But the rounded shape is also heavier on the rims. So all together you won’t get a major difference in sleep times.

Addment: Just get the yoyo you think looks the best. Unless you have a narrow shape preference that is.

I have to disagree with you there Pheenix. I think that would be a horrible thing to do.

I think its okay for plastics, because they dont cost as much, and are usually purchased for beginners. But if you are going to spend $120 on a yoyo, I think you should be darned convinced about what yoyo you want, and what suits you more/what you will be more satisfied with.

Alright then, Samad, let’s compare. DNA or Superstar?

SuperStar:

http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyofactory/superstar/

Diameter 2.22 inches
Width 1.61 inches

DNA:

http://yoyoexpert.com/product/yoyofactory/dna/

Diameter 2.18 inches
Width 1.68 inches

The bottom line is the shape, If you like the DM’s shape I’d go with DNA because of the butterfly. If you want to try something new get the SuperStar. Without slaying with them and mostr people will say SuperStar will have longer sleeps, but the shape is the only big difference between these yoyos.

Personally, I would go with the Superstar, but thats just me. I suggest listening to Evan’s advice. He know’s what hes talking about :wink:

Cool. I am sort of leaning toward the Superstar- I like the shape. Can someone explain to me the different response systems (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad)? Because the DNA is K-pad, and the Superstar is Silicone. What sets them apart? What do you all like the most?

I love then superstar A LOT more than dna.

Superstar is AWESOME! The gap is like a black hole sucking in the string with its greatness. I thought about the DNA and 888 before buying it, but the H shape intrigued me. I will never regret it. I have a DM and a metal zero, the gap difference is HUGE! Tiny vibration with the hub bearings on but barely noticeable.

But as a beginner, you don’t know exactly what type of yoyo suits you best. I don’t undestand how a beginner could be darned convinced about what shape, size, width,…yoyo he prefers. You can only know what type of yoyo suits you best when you are more experienced.

When I started I thought I liked undersized yoyos, because I bought a skyline and loved it. Later on, I bought a hspin cut and was a little worried because I thought it would be too big. When I got it I realized I like it better than my skyline. At that time I wasn’t sure whether I like it because of the size or something else. So, some time later, I bought a peak. It’s even bigger than my cut and I love it. I am now sure it’s because of the size, among other things.

So now I know that I prefer bigger yoyos simply because I tried different yoyos. I think that would be the best idea for beginners. Try as many different yoyos as you can. Don’t just buy small yoyos because your first yoyo was small and you liked it.

Try different sizes and find out what your preference really is.

Yeah, but I dont think he should by the yoyo “just cause it looks cool”. I think he should at least feel he should want it. I was disagreeing to Pheenix’s point, and my reasons werent “How he should choose” but to support my reasoning.

Also, you bought the Skyline, and you liked it, right? I wouldnt want to spend $120 on a yoyo and hate it, which is what I’m trying to help the OP avoid.

if the superstar plays anything like a g5+ i want one

How do you try different ones?

[size=10pt]THINK IT VERY THOROUGHLY!![/size]

You don’t want to buy a yo-yo just to find out you hate it. This happened to me with the Skyline, I bought it because I liked the gold anodized color, used it, and I found out I hate anodized glossy yo-yos and hate very light yo-yos (63g), so I returned it. Now I lose the shipping and have to pay about $20 more for return shipping plus the new shipping if I buy a new yo-yo with the refund.

Just please evaluate all of your choices, and [size=10pt]remember you’re spending $120 on a yo-yo.[/size]

Superstar is a gnarly yoyo, and the H shape is not to big, but deffinetly noticeable, the kpads in a superstar are the best response, hands down. The new ones are bead blasted, for awesome grinding.

did you read dryoyo’s review on the DNA?