what yoyo should i get

I am trying to get a yo-yo that sleeps really good. I need a lot of help.

Luckily, you’ve narrowed down your choices to the several hundred currently-available yoyos. :wink: The all sleep really well.

If you only care about sleep time and no other factors, you’d be hard-pressed to beat this one:

(note: I’m joking… it’s literally ONLY for sleeping. You wouldn’t buy this to learn any tricks)

i need a butterfly yoyo that sleeps really well and is good for string tricks

There are literally hundreds that fit that description. A lot of modern yoyos aren’t strictly “butterfly” in the original sense of the word any more… many are “H” or “V” shaped, but fill the same role.

What price are you looking to pay? Do you know about bind returns yet, or just starting on a new yoyo journey and getting your toes wet? What material should it be made with (most yoyoers who decide to stick to it move to having at least one aluminum yoyo before too long; depending on budget you might just jump right in!)

I suspect you haven’t been introduced to the huge world of modern string trick yoyos yet… otherwise you’d realize that the question is far too broad to get a good answer. But let’s work towards narrowing it down. :wink: Budget is a good place to start.

The hunt is now narrowed down to…
90% of the yoyos on this website.
I assume that you are a beginner, so I suggest a YYF Protostar. Can you bind?

The YYJ Theory sleeps for a long time, great for string tricks.

Or the C3 Capless is also amazing.

Considering that it sounds like you don’t own any butterfly shaped yoyos that utilize a bearing I’d say go for a yoyojam kickside

I’ve been throwing for 6 years and still come back to this fun and awesome yoyo and it’s hard to beat for it’s price

you could also take a look at the yoyofactory whip, onestar, and one

Just go for a legacy/ DM2 at this rate there both great for learning on.

I’m sorry but I can’t really tell if you’re new or not. But I can make two assumptions.

1(You are new to yoyos and are looking to get in to it)
A great yoyo for this is either a YoyoFactory Velocity or F.A.S.T. They both have adjustable response systems (how the yoyo goes up and down). You can make it so that if you tug at it, it will return to your hand like traditional yoyos. Or, you can make it like modern yoyos so that you will have to do a trick called a bind return to get it back up. Switching will make you be able to start out with basics and be able to do intermediate tricks too!

2(You can do intermediate tricks)
I think this is the case because listed on your profile that your favorite trick is double or nothing. I recommend a DV888. I own it and I LOVE IT. I still use it for all my tricks. It can handle pretty long combos as well. And it’s price is GREAT for a metal yoyo of this caliber.

Note: All the yoyos I have recommended are YoyoFactory yoyos because I have not bought any other brand haha.

Links:
http://www.yoyofactory.com/velocity/
http://www.yoyofactory.com/fast-201/
http://www.yoyofactory.com/dv888/

thanks alot you guys i cant bind i am learing a lot more.

I suggest a YYJ Classic. It’s only ten dollars, but don’t let the price fool you: It’s great for beginners and experienced players. It comes responsive, but with a full sized C bearing, it can take you as far as you want. New pads are optional, it’s just that the rubber o-rings turn the string grey.

im not a noob i know kind of what im doing i own a metal zero freehand mesquito butterfly imperial and sattalite i can do tricks im just trying to learn split the atom and i need a yoyo that will work i have been recomended the dv88

There’s still a lot of love out there for the dv888, and I’ll probably get one myself some day, but for the most part the niche that it used to fill (low-cost metal) has other players in it. For an additional $10-20, you can get some exceptional throws.

Can’t say anything bad about the dv888 myself, not having tried one, but I’ve seen enough of these recommendation threads to know that it’s not considered on par with many other yoyos in its class.

The DV888 will get you to the most advanced tricks.

What’s your price range?

I dont have a price range

If you are still learning to bind, I suggest getting 2 cheap yoyos. 1 responsive and 1 unresponsive. That way you can practice binding, and then switch to the other if you want to just mess around and do tricks. Perhaps a stock YoYoJam Classic (Responsive), and a YoYoFactory Protostar (Unresponsive).

If you don’t have a price range I would go with the Anglam it’s only $289 I think? But I would get a OneStar if I were you they are supposed to drop this week I think?

You’re gonna recommend the $289 Anglam?

Let’s dial it back. WAY back. We’re talking someone who is essentially a progressing beginner. Let’s not go nuts here, OK?

There’s a zillion ways to go. When I was before your stage, I went ahead and got a DM2. I can’t say I have any regrets. I love that yoyo. Should you spend that kind of money? Maybe. There’s other comparable models by YYJ in the same price range, so it depends on preferences.

There’s so many choices. Someone mentioned getting 2 yoyos: one responsive and one unresponsive. This isn’t a bad idea. I think their suggestions were a Classic kept stock and a Protostar, which I gotta say is some pretty good advice. Or you could substitute the Protostar for the YYJ Trigger. However, you can get the DM2 for less than the 2, BUT you give up variety and variety can be a good thing. You could also get 2 Classics and one YYJ Speed bearing and one set of YYJ response pads.

YYJ also offers other yoyos with 2 bearings: The Legacy II and the Chaser pop in mind, but there’s many others. They ship stock with the slim bearing installed and when you’re ready to learn to bind and go unresponsive, pop in the wider bearing and you’re ready to go.

Now, you may not have money as an issue. Regardless, I’d suggest you come up with some sort of spending limit. This isn’t the time to go nuts. I’d say learn your bind.

Now, before you start spending all sorts of money, there’s some cheap things you can do. You say you have a metal drifter. Want to make it unresponsive? Clean that bearing out using acetone. Remove the shields, soak and shake it up, thoroughly dry the bearing back out after you’re done, pop it back in and for me, it goes dead unresponsive. I did this with my older metal drifter that uses spacers, and my son’s newer metal drifter that does not use spacers, and it worked flawlessly. No, we did NOT remove any response stickers.

Now, some yoyos to avoid for the time being. This is not because they are bad, it is because they are too light in my opinion. For you, they are items to skip over, then when you get a bit better(say, a couple of months of binding and some more forward trick progression), you can consider picking them up: YYF ONE, WHIP and ONEStar. Note, so Ben doesn’t get his shorts in a knot: I have all three of those, including a 2011 and 2012 ONE and I really enjoy these yoyos. I just don’t feel these are good when you’re starting out. My son who is 6 now, started with a ONE, and he was just doing basic stuff, he upgraded pretty fast. At CalStates, I got him a WHIP from the YYE booth, but I also know his skill level and I know this yoyo will help challenge and push him and so does he.

You already have my number. (so does everyone else who wants it, it’s in my signature). If you need to talk about this, send me a text first. I can call you back if you’re fine with that, which you’ll indicate in the text message. Just be aware that I put my “YYE friends and contacts” on a low priority basis(sorry, it’s not pesonal), so when you call or text, my phone doesn’t let me know with an audilble, I check my phone from time to time and it’s “Oh, I gotta a text to deal with…”

Then again, it’s your money. If you want to go nuts and get a CLYW Avalanche or a One Drop Code 2, I can’t stop you and these are amazing yoyos, but you’re not quite there yet.

Stages.

A note about the Classic: $10 stock, upgradable, works for 1A, 3A, 5A. Super affordable, rugged, reliable, modifiable, adaptable, loads of fun… what’s not to like about it? Serious! Sure, not everyone will like it. That can be true about every yoyo. Just consider it as an model to strongly consider. I have 2, I want a few more. I could also easily recommend the Legacy II or the DM2 in an instant. If you can bind, I can recommend unresponsive only yoyos.

But if you’re ready to get into modifications, cleaning out the bearing of your Metal Drifter would be a cheap way to go. If you don’t want to spend any money, I’m cleaning bearings at the YoLex meet in Roseville this Saturday, so bring it by and I’ll clean it out. Free!

Haha studio 42 I was just kidding about the Anglam ! :smiley:
And Onestar drop soon so I would go with that probaly the best $15 throw out there right now

I know you were kidding. We just have to keep in mind the new people are easily confused and overwhelmed. We don’t want their bank accounts to explode!(yet)

The OneStar is a bit too light for me, but it is very smooth and stable.

I would prefer a Classic with a YYJ Speed bearing and silicone. I also recommend a Lyn Fury with silicone and a cleaned bearing. The PSG and PSG Gem are great, but the GEM I like better because of the added weight. Like the Classic, it has a good shape for 1A, 3A and 5A, but tends to suffer from vibe issues just due to how they are made. The Asteroid is fast, kind of over-sized and loads of fun, but like the PSG, can be another model that can have vibe issues.