Wherein I declare war on the DV888

The pizza analogy doesn’t seem quite right to me. I think it would be more like questioning the selling of new 1st generation iPods for $200 today. Would the iPod work as an audio player? Sure. But how many folks would feel it is worth $200 in today’s consumer electronics market? :thinking:

3 Likes

ddf6463a6af0c67a10ab7b8ae8ae8b7ecaba7a141c4b3b2d4f4e3c8261075b8a

1 Like

Are we even yelling? I mean it seems like a reasonable discussion to me…

No, but it does seem like you’re all just speaking into echo chambers.

Really? I posted actual pics of the gap issue with the DV888 which makes it problematic as a responsive. And others have contibuted some interesting and informative posts, look at @Yoyosampler a few posts up for just one example.

:man_shrugging: seems fine to me!

What especially chaps my … organic yo-yo curve… is that if YYF had continued to make and sell the 888 as its beginners yo-yo, which is a real classic in everyone’s book, none of this heartburn would be necessary!

2 Likes

Completely agree.

Might as well throw the replay under the bus too. The one I bought came with pads exactly like that, and it really was the worst

3 Likes

Oddly enough… Me too!:rofl:

2 Likes

Would you send your DV888 to me, Jeff? :laughing:

1 Like

I was even thinking about the possibility that modernizing the DV888 or maybe even making the DV888 look just like a miniature 888 would be a great way to improve the DV888. I have never tried the 888, but I always thought it odd that two yoyos with such similar names and coming from apparently a similar line would be so different. The thing is, both yoyos were well loved by this community.

Now, something else that we might need to consider: low cost metals are more widespread than they were when the DV888 first emerged, but full sized metals can be found all over the place now. I wonder, if things played out the other way around, so that the 888 was kept and the DV888 was discontinued, would it be possible to keep the 888 relevant to today’s yoyo community or would it get lost in the crowd? I don’t know for sure, but I wonder if the DV888 has not disappeared from the market simply because because there is still a niche in the yoyo community that it can fill: that of an undersized all metal mainstream budget throw.

It has my avatar laser etched on it plus it was a gift from a famous person who I admire, so I… can’t.

While I am here I should point out that I bought old stock of a yoyojam Eneme which has a similar shape and size, though it was shipped unresponsive and a bit more tolerable. Still not great. But the operative words here are OLD STOCK :slight_smile:

That Eneme I could send you.

Sure! I’ll give it a shot! Looks very much like a DV888.

Replay responsive plays great with thin pads!

1 Like

To be fair, the DV888 was far from the only yo-yo from that era that felt chunky on the end of the string.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, how many of them (the “chunky on the end of the string” throws from that era) are still being made and sold today?

Probably not very many, but I know what you’re getting at. This situation is one of two scenarios- 1) it’s a legacy product that YYF wants to keep making regardless of what the internet thinks or 2) it actually still sells. Couldn’t tell you which one is reality, but either way, it’s kind of a head scratcher for me that it gets bought up at all

2 Likes

Makes me want a medium, thin crust, pepperoni Pizza.

4 Likes

We should go get one before the dv888 hate ruins the appetite. Get the gang together!:pizza::pizza::pizza::pizza:

2 Likes

Ooh! I’m in!

2 Likes

Only if the pizza has pineapple on it, the BEST and ULTIMATE pizza topping!

1 Like

I’m headed out the door as we speak. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes