Wherein I declare war on the DV888

I say crap to that. The dv8 was a bad copy of the project. I was there. I remember. But beyond that it didn’t live up to the hype. Yes you can’t buy a project but man. C’mon. Sir.

I went ahead and moved this to its own topic so the poor yo-yo holster topic could have its own life free from my petty wars :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

He sometimes even scorns newer, quality designs that serve the purpose for which they are designed such as modern wooden fixed axles.

Having said that, I do understand what he is saying. I just took a good look at the DV888 in the store page and it could be said that there are better offerings for the same purposes it is designed for. I certainly don’t have a problem with it, though.

Rebirth is pretty close!

I never said the Dv888 was original… lol. :wink:

It’s good for people starting out learning rock the baby and trapeze that want a metal yoyo to learn those completely beginner tricks on.

2 Likes

I put slim pads in mine the day I got it. Two weeks later I put in a large C. It’s fun to keep in my rotation. I get bored of looking at and feeling the same color and shape/weight. Okay, thank you all for participating in this lively conversation which will be dug up and reactivated in 5-6 years.

2 Likes

One of the best feelings is when you dead center a DV888 on your finger for a fingerspin :+1:

1 Like

I like to try different yoyos and some I like more than others. The ones I don’t care for I don’t play or get rid of. Obviously I’m going to find some I like really well and some that I don’t. There are to many great ones to waste my energy focusing on the ones I don’t care for.

It’s kind of like enjoying a variety of food, but hating liver and onions. I don’t waste my time thinking about liver and onions I look forward to my favorite dishes. When I get hungry I think about the foods I like and what restaurant I will go to or if I’ll prepare the food myself. Just saying, War on a yoyo? lol that’s a lot of emotion! Scones! Raspberry and white chocolate scones, yuuuuum, emotion I can live with! :yum:

2 Likes

Daydream is actually a favorite of mine when I’m just looking to have fun. Took one pad out and it plays really fun.

3 Likes

27cfcc0e7c3dc681820960fd3b827ef559993cf969e3c7106298e61b46217a99

5 Likes

I actually have a dv888 and just last night I got my upgrade kit in the mail, I can only get it to bind when it is going at very high speed and I bind with the Yoyo going in the opposite direction of the string. I’m sure a lot of it is lack of technique, but I’m also using the YoYoFactory red and black pure cotton string. Is this a factor or is it probably strictly my lack of experience in binding?

2 Likes

Does the “DV” in the DV888 stand for De-Valued?

3 Likes

Or DV8, as in a deviation from the original 888

not a very good one…

Everything you said here is perfectly fine. Everyone has there own opinions😉.

For the cost of a DV888 a beginner could, for example, get a MYY N12 Shark’s Honor in two colorways (allowing two beginners to learn together, say). While I’m sure the DV888 functions as an unresponsive yoyo reasonably enough, I’m not so sure you really get $30 of value from it.

1 Like

I’d say you do get thirty dollars value from it when you consider how many hours it will last. However to your point @zslane, you might still better spend the thirty dollars to try more yoyos or as you put it to learn with a friend.

1 Like

I’m having a slight difficulty grasping the value of establishing a significant functional/cost/factor of the DV888 in comparison to other yoyos?

…You go into a Pizza place to buy a Pizza. They have 30 different choices. The cheese Pizza is the same price as several other choices. 5 Pizzas in total; cost $8 each. The other 25 options increase in value and tasty Awesomeness.

Instead of everybody just making a selection and enjoying their Pizza; a certain percentage of the customers; sit around and whine about how the cheese Pizza is not a good value in direct comparison to the other Pizzas sharing the same price point.

They tell the owner the cheese Pizza should not even be sold or at least not at that price; because it is not a good value. Several people at the very next table are enjoying their cheese Pizzas as they listen to the amusing totally worthless banter.

What’s the point? Easily made… Why whine about if the current
worth/value/performance/substance of a said yoyo justifies a validation?

Why not just focus on making your educated choices as opposed to slapping around the reputation of a yo-yo that Nobody is forcing you to buy or own?

Personally I never choose the cheese Pizza. But I also never whine about the ‘existence of cheese Pizzas’.

…I’ll take a medium, thin crust, pepperoni Pizza; easy cheese, please.

6 Likes

This thread makes me want a DV888! :smile:

1 Like

…so you can punish yourself? :wink:

2 Likes

It’s interesting that this thread cropped up. I recently stumbled on a conversation in the YYE forum archives about the DV888 from the early 2010s and the tone was wholly different. There was quite a bit of love for the DV888 as a great gateway yoyo into more advanced yoyos and tricks. It didn’t quite measure up to the YYJ Dark Magic 2, but both were regarded as must-haves for anyone going deeper into the hobby.

We must remember, of course that at that time, it was perhaps the only main stream all metal under $40. I agree that it was a bit heavy and feels a little clunky with the flat rims. It limits the catch zone too, but if you put a decent bearing in it it will spin for a long time. I still pull my DV888 out from time to time for practicing with a smaller catch zone, same reason I play an original YYJ spin faktor or clessiah. It helps me keep plane when I’m practicing.

I will also agree that for the price it is possible to get much better yoyos, but remember that at the time, you really couldn’t. It was as Andre put it: a simple, “no frills” yoyo. There are now yoyos that are easier to work with for the same price, but if it still competes with other yoyos in that price range in the free market, then, so be it.

1 Like