Where do you yo?

I was wandering the library after finals today and tossed a few tricks in the back corner. The old library on campus is getting moved to a new building soon so not only will all the old smells be gone but I’ll have to walk about a block farther now.

It got me thinking, What’s your favorite spot to throw? Is it still here?

I’ve been looking for spots like I used to look for skate spots growing up. Rather than smooth run up and fresh ledges, though I look for lines and light that align with the plain I’m throwing on.

7 Likes

I can’t find the other thread that’s just like this one - they can be combined. Where are you throwing? Not coming up on my phone. It had tons of responses…

2 Likes

mostly in my room but other places include

my job (during and after business hours)
the subway station while im waiting for the train
this one bar i hang out after it closes and im waiting for my friends to finish working (my brain is the most creative and fluid in there for some reason)
3am walks home
my front porch early in the morning

4 Likes

Work and in my bedroom

4 Likes

Anywhere I can.

5 Likes
3 Likes

I generally like to throw in private. I’m not really into showing off and people watching makes me nervous and I mess up more. Usually I stick to my room or our family room has a vaulted ceiling so I can do anything in there.

6 Likes

I mainly yo… in my mind.

There is certainly a lot of empty space in there.

I guess my decision was a No- brainer…

11 Likes

There’s a little unused, untravelled picnic area outside one of my college buildings, it’s a personal favorite. Otherwise, just wherever I’ve got time. I like to yo on the go.

3 Likes

I just bought a cheap 4’ by 8’ straw mat and threw it out on my back porch, a couple of tests showed that it was enough to prevent major damage (compared to concrete atleast) and it’s been working just fine.

3 Likes

Inside around my apartment usually. 4a and5a out at the park by my apartment or a little bit of 5a inside but I can’t really modify my play like I suck at that and hate having to try like I just wanna play how I play so outside is best. This is also why I always go over carpet or a mat bc I play the same way always like idk how to play cautiously.

Been playing on the beach while on vacation and tbh it kinda sucks for yoyoing like it’s incredibly beautiful but the wind is killer and takes out a few of my comfort elements and favorite tricks. Trying to do a suicide in really strong wind is a joke and classic suicide is one of the go to subconscious tricks I compulsively throw. Also it’s been exceptionally windy here and my responsives don’t respond right like the wind literally pulls the string out of the gap so I gotta have a ton of spin left if I want them to tug respond.

I thought I wasn’t going to do all that much playing at all but my wife got sucked into a good book and the opportunity to toss it keeps presenting itself. I think I just gotta do it more like I did figure out this cool wind assisted bind so maybe I’ll feel different later?

6 Likes

100% agree beach yo-yoing is rough. I usually only take fixed axle to the sand maybe a transaxle plastic sleeve. I leave the wood at home cause they swell in humidity and I’ve got sand in bearings and a metal yoyo rusted to hell from salt water. I would be tempted to drag a cheap plastic throw to the beach but it would have to have some heft to it.

The wind though. Man the wind is brutal. Makes a competent player look like they are just throwing a brick on a string in circles. I feel for ya. Having fun is key just enjoy your time.

4 Likes

I mostly throw at work during lunch. Our office has an old warehouse that we converted into a meeting/rec space, and it’s always nice and quiet in there.

3 Likes

Lol yah it’s amazing we’re having a blast! Definitely shoulda brought more yo-yos tho…….

2 Likes

at home, standing in line places, walking around in public, pumping gas, mostly anywhere if I have room and a yoyo in my pocket which is almost always. we can’t all be disco Stu’s and not advertise and keep it alive past ourselves. yoyo hangs by a thin string…

5 Likes

Does Grendel throw in the woods???
Yes, yes he does.

4 Likes

I yoyo in my room alot but when I have free time at school I am always yoyoing.