where do you work?

It’s good starting out. I’m making 12 but if I haven’t fractuted, sweat, or bleed all day, I didn’t really earn it. It’s hard work. XP

Corporate law attorney–mostly mergers & acquisitions, some securities work. In short, I help corporations and individuals assess and reduce liability (and to an extent, maximize profit, though the bankers help more with that) when buying/selling businesses. Definitely nothing like a lawyer show (they are almost exclusively about litigators, in a court room, etc.). Surprisingly fun, if you don’t mind reading a lot and thinking analytically, but the hours can be killer.

My first story is kinda true in some parts. I have some health problems (not due to burritos, but I sure did eat a lot and that is kinda like science so who knows) but the other rendition is a lot more fun to say.

I’m a home dad currently. Kids are home/charter schooled. Used to be a code monkey/analyst. Big. Small. You name it. All kinds of software, son. For a while I worked with some people that your company contracted to report on all your digital communications because you were being naughty. FOR SHAME!!! I also fixed computers and networks, desktop support and junk like that. Before that I drove a forklift and other jabs like that.

We did just recently get audited by Eco Sure and we got an 87. In all honesty, I’m happy with it because the last one we barely passed. Eco sure is crazy, I accompanied the inspector around the whole time and most of our dings are R&M issues, which is also why I’m happy with that score because no one did anything stupid while she was there. Our prep has changed drastically in the last year due to the new menu roll-out. Not only that, but so many items are becoming speed scratched and RTU that it’s hard for me to give my preppers the hours they need to support their families. We have the third slowest store in the country, so we’re kind of a little fish in a big pond. We run a good restaurant though, all our reports stay green and we have a low turn over rate, so all in all we do all right.

1 Like

XD i figured they rolled in,thats why i asked, yea they got us on 2 points cuz of FOH left a ice scoop out of its correct spot >_> ya know how they work XD. ANd my darn cold side unit was 5 degrees off due to this extra pan underneath X_X. nd one hood on hot side doesnt come off X_X they didnt like that too much. but yea we chill in the green pretty much at all times. Yea that “new” stuff, it has cut all of us back as well, just open it X_X i hate it, all of my prep cards got throw away and it still makes me sad, that when we get a newbie now you cant teach them how o actually prepare the ingredients. it is quite a struggle with the hours because of such “prep”. You said your the KM? do you have to make the sched? or does your proprietor? i feel for my Proprietor at times, cuz i know he feels alil shoved in the corner on those hour bucket slices. and yet again,this is why i made this topic. ;D

XD yea it is man. but hey atleast you know if you ever move around here, i got ya :thumbs up:

dude i used to do landscaping for summer and fall. working outside and being able to smell fresh air all day, its alil priceless at times. even though obviously the price is 7.50. But i think i would love to have that job. sounds really rewarding as stated previously by another.and ima vegetarian, so produce is my shizznizz

I like out door work too, and that’s what I mostly do now, but it’s starting to get cold and that dampers the nice outsideness…XD

Yea it can be pretty fun sometimes :smiley: I just wish I was making a bit more money.

I am retired/disabled, but some of my professions included Truck Parts Sales Accountant/Tax preparer, Professional Musician.

Haha one of our hood vents was busted up and we got that as well as our sashimi freezer not working. Got the hood, but not the freezer yet. Our FOH had some wet nesting on a few pint glasses :-\ Yeah I’m the km there, just over a year now. Started on fry and learned every station from there. The old km quit so I got his spot. I make the schedule for the kitchen, our floor manager gets foh employees and proprietor does the manager sched. Are you considering management?

haha nesting X_X i hate that shiz man, ant run anything through the tank or prep correctly when they are around due to fudgin water, yea our hoods broke yesterday on cold side X_X, nice and smokey XD. atleast the schedules are spread like that, so you can actually pay attention to your line and preppers. Thats good that you care enough to acknowledge the fact that hours are hard to spread around. most bosses wouldnt give a shiz. I used to be the AKM at another store 2 years ago, but i had an accident, painting my house, and was left with a huge sciatica problem, so i basically got fired X_X,i shouldve tried to sue that proprietor. but im above that law crap,and i hated him anyways XD. so i eventully just went to the more higher volume store in the county, and work the line and prep all over again. but i get paid the same thing i did when i managed. so thats always good. I heard bonefish can get pretty crazy at times though, you said you guys were a slower store compared to the rest around you,whats your area/region? yea i went from bussing tables 6 years agao, went to the tank, then bloom all the way to grill, to AKM, back to the line. XD good ole OB steak house XD

what kind of music do you play man?

I am an HR professional for a group of retirement communities in Western MA. Been at it for almost 15 years…

One of the best years of my life (I think it was about “73”) was spent as a home dad (a.k.a house husband).

1 Like

I play with yo-yos work at YoYoExpert.com! ;D

4 Likes

I have played Classical and Pop Orchestral, big band, rock band, jazz combo, and all around combo (this is where I worked full time). I am a drummer/concert percussionist. Thanks for asking.

Awesome! I was -4 in 73. :smiley:

How old were your kid(s) when you were home with him/her/them?

I’m definitely loving the time with them. I do however miss my morning ride to work on the motorcycle, and bonuses. :wink:

I am a software developer. Mostly I do work in the web stack with limited server-side stuff. I let the smart people write the server-side stuff and I just consume their data with a REST API. Not saying my end of things is “easy”, but I certainly hope they don’t catch onto the fact that I am really an artsy guy (former English teacher, even) who has infiltrated their ranks. God forbid they ever ask me to do anything in Java or C++…

I also do a lot of marketing work there. We only have one other full-time marketing person and she needs support from someone who can write and who understands the product on a technical level. :wink: I used to be the Marketing Manager there (muahaha, infiltrated that department as well!), so I guess I’m qualified to help somehow.

Hah! You are plenty smart! It is just a different skill set. How did you end up going from English teacher to coder?

I couldn’t make a pretty and intuitive GUI if I actually wanted to, which I don’t. Although I still have nightmares about some of those SQL scripts for some of those colossal reports, which makes just about any other task seem attractive.

I was an imposter as well! Had to learn how to code and math on the job. Failed pre-algebra in 9th grade and decided I’d never do anything in life that involved more math than what was required to count the beats in a measure, in a song. My teenage wisdom at its peak. I got my first programming job by offering to prove myself for free. No college? No experience? Sure! Come tinker with our business critical processes! Its fun! Somebody actually didn’t take it as a joke, and gave me a chance. The crazy was strong on that day.

Another thing I cannot do! Give me technical specs and I can write the software. Ask me to talk about it and I can’t explain it any better than the process/logic flow charts I make as part of a design.