When to replace silicone response pads?

How do you know it’s time to replace your pads? I’m throwing a shutter and am noticing that it’s getting a little lazy when returning after a bind.

When you start to get consistently slipping binds. Note the importance of ‘consistently’ in that sentence please :wink:

Some people will do it when they start to break down and start angling in and down towards the bearing, but I don’t take my yoyos apart enough to notice that, just the binds for me. Also if I know this particular yoyo can do a quadruple-on trapeze without any issues, but starts to get sketchy at 5, but now all of a sudden can do 6 no problem, it’s time (just kinda random numbers, but you get the point)

1 Like

Yea I always change mine when they start slanting down towards the bearing.

1 Like

Also, when you feel more of a thunk on the throw or when spin times are noticeably lower (spin times are hard to gauge though). You need those pads to give power to the throw!

Replace string first of course.

Yes, dead string cause a lot of the thunk on a throw.

agreed. always try a new string first. if after that its still real slippy on binds, then its probably time to change the pads. pads can normally last quite awhile so once you put the new ones, you should be good to go. :wink:

1 Like

Aha that is exactly what happened on that CLYW Canvas!

Hard to take a pic of the phenomenon but I tried

1 Like

I gotta say, it’s quite remarkable to see someone quote a post that I made almost 5 years ago. Dang my grammar though, …what was my problem?

2 Likes