Reminder to change your response pads

There are people on this forum right now who own a large collection but never changed response pads.
I assume that as collector you want to enjoy the quality of your yoyos like you’d enjoy a fine wine. You admire the build quality, the creativity that went into its design etc. But if you don’t change the response pads then your yoyos will diminish in quality. Binds will become less responsive and less tight binds also mean reduced spintime on your next throw. Don’t let your precious throw lose its fresh feel! This also goes for strings, strings are meant to be replaced.
And if you can drop more than 100 dollars on a yoyo then I’m sure you can also afford response pads :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I wrote this post because when I got into this hobby I neglected replacing response pads. Only when my pads popped out I started to replace them and I was blown away by how good my shutter wide angle felt. I also felt pretty dumb for not having done this earlier. I also read a lot on this forum that many people don’t bother changing the pads and I think it’s a shame because it doesn’t take much time to change the pads. I think it’s absolutely worth it to invest the 10 minutes and 2 dollars into replacing pads. In return you will get months of fresh binds!

2 Likes

comeon man there was a guy on this forum who admitted that he has been throwing for three years but he never exchanged pads. It may seem obvious to you but some people really don’t change their brake pads

:skull_and_crossbones: :skull_and_crossbones:

I didn’t used to change them until I absolutely had to, but I recently had a throw that was noticeably slippy on some binds and I thought it was just because it has a wide gap. I changed the pads and was like “oh, damn.” I’m gonna buy more pads and swap more often now.

1 Like

Taking this response pad check as an opportunity to check tbe entire forum’s posture and hydration levels.

Change your pads and string often, but also stay hydrated and sit up straight!

4 Likes

Yes. Because I they didn’t feel different. I don’t throw for long and I’m doing anything taxing on the pads. Until the last couple of weeks or so they felt new because I’m not at it for very long every day.

1 Like

In your other post you admit that they start to feel weird with response and now you say that they don’t feel different… That’s kinda suspicious :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway you should just give it a try! Response pad stickers are so easy to apply.

1 Like

Sorry, I meant for the longest time they didn’t feel different. In the last couple of weeks though, the ones I still have are getting a little uh, quirky let’s say. In response (see what I did there?) I will now fill my cart with pads for the throws I’ve had the longest! I got so locked into string type and tension and thickness I guess I had forsaken the thing that ensures the yo-yo actually gets back to me.

1 Like

Back on topic though, I’ve only been playing yoyos since January and I’m not sure I’ve even played one yoyo long enough to burn through response pads. I’ve picked up a solid 15 so far, and the only one I think I might be nearing time to change on is my Day Tripper, and I think that one might be going because I play it the most, and the nature of the tiny gap and thick string I use on my responsive throws. They’re becoming noticably smooth and shiny instead of the matte color the core co pads start out as.

2 Likes

Motorsil-D is :crown:

2 Likes

Have you lubed the bearing on the Day Tripper? If not then that’s probably the issue. Responsive bearings need some thick lube every so often to stay snappy, and it wears off quicker than the pads do.

I regrease the bearing on there every other week. I like the response really really snappy lol

1 Like