When Is It REALLY Time For A New String?

I know this has been addressed before, however my goal with this thread is to see if we, as the YYE Forum, can create a defined set of parameters to ‘officially’ determine the point where a string has become a detriment to one’s playability. I realize this is extremely subjective, so this is really an experiment to see if we can maybe just make a checklist of testable qualifiers that one can perform prior to replacement. Whatcha think guys? Can we make this a bit
more objective?

3 Likes

The first 2 or 3 months I threw I played with the string til it snapped

7 Likes

Just buy some Airetics and you won’t have to ask yourself this question hardly at all any more. They last soooo long!!!

6 Likes

For me it’s when it hardens & feels like I’m using a steel cable.

2 Likes

It is extremely subjective indeed. After all, you change your string when you no longer like the feel of the current one in your yoyo.

For me, i tend to use my strings a little bit longer than most throwers (as far as i’ve gauged the general opinion, people tend to use a single bulk poly string from between 2 days to a couple of hours). The parameter i follow is:

• Have the string lost it’s capability to hold tension properly? (e.g. The string keeps tangling and twisting after just two or three throws) Change it.
  • Does the string look dirty? Change it.
  • Ultra impossible knot? Change it.
  • Did the string thin out, to the point the response is not as snappy as i remember? Change it.
9 Likes

What is it do you think that makes them last longer?

1 Like

Because they’re made from nylon not polyester

3 Likes

then why isn’t all string nylon?

1 Like

It’s less consistent with whips and string tension. It’s also much more expensive.

2 Likes

So it’s more expensive and not as good? But it lasts longer…

1 Like

It really just comes down to preference. Most competition players are going to stick to poly because of performance, but if performance isn’t really a big factor then you might like nylon. The best way to find out is to try them both!

3 Likes

I have a related question:

When is it REALLY time for new underpants? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

Maybe @smileypants707 has some insight :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Wait…I’m suppose to change my underpants!?

3 Likes

If they’re brown, take em down :100:

2 Likes

Okay phew! Mine aren’t brown.
They’re yellow. They should be good to go then!!

1 Like

If you are @Egon after every throw when he is trying to get a high RPM on his Yomega. :rofl:

I usually replace mine when the tension seems to be completely messed.

2 Likes

If you have to ask you’re already too late.

2 Likes

Nope, I know nothing :speak_no_evil:

What are strings?

2 Likes

I like to change my string right after it breaks, giving my yo a cool new war scar.