When is a plastic a plastic?

they dont really need to remove the hybrid category per se, they just need to update it regularly.

1 Like

Is that “crap” or “good”? It’s still ambiguous… :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Since YoyoJam is one of my favorite manufacturers, I wanted to ask a couple of questions that occurred to me as I was reading this thread: Is it possible that this distinction between a “hybrid” plastic with metal rims and a plastic yoyo with metal weight rings is just a legal term used simply to prevent copyright infringement? I ask because I remember seeing a thread here from around 2016 after YoyoJam closed where someone was expressing curiosity about the kinds of interesting “hybrid” yoyos other companies might be able to put out because YYJ held the patent on such hybrid designs as plastics with metal rims. This got me to wondering then about what makes the distinction between a hybrid and a plastic with metal ring weights. It looks like this has to do with how the weight ring/rim is attached.

If the “plastic with metal weight rings” terminology was just a legal term to avoid a lawsuit from YYJ, do you think it would be appropriate to define a “hybrid” yoyo as one where the second material, (whether an integrated rim or an inserted weight ring) serves a specific purpose for the yoyo’s performance? That could make yoyos like the YYF Protostar hybrids because the metal rings serve a specific purpose for improving the yoyos’ performance, while the plastic caps on metals like the YYF Role Play or YYJ Phenom or the metal used in parts like YYJ’s solid spin axle would likely not qualify as hybrids because their purposes are for asthetics or to improve durability. It’s just a thought I had about it, but I could be off the mark.

3 Likes

Plastics are pretty neat, especially the Skyva

1 Like

I ended up buying this one because I was quite curious about it, and I also like the parent plastic model a lot:

Nylon Linkx

Japan Technology

Super light and super quick, this Linkx is a rare, all-nylon full plastic yo-yo!

This variation on the Linkx is machined from nylon plastic, a rare choice for yo-yo bodies that gives it an even more heavenly soft catch. The Linkx was already a light and fast model, but the change in body material has breathed a different kind of life into it. However, we wouldn’t say that it is meant specifically for speedy play, it feels more like it was designed to give a decent spin on the softest throw, for fun casual play. With its feather-light playfeel, the Nylon Linkx feels like a whole different genre of yo-yo.

Nylon, who knew?

Also still super crazy that the only 6065 yoyo ever made is the CLYW Igloo :wink:

When it’s any material that is not metal or wood :slight_smile: