Yo-yos that were ahead of their time

Mention any down in the comments.

Protostar as previously mentioned, which I definitely agree with. First plastic that was on par with metals (of its time, and a bit beyond).

Also the 888.

2 Likes

Isn’t it a hybrid?

True, it was, but so was stuff like Dark Magic II and Hitman (metal rims), but Protostar still feels modern today in a way that those older models definitely do not.

Well, I just wondered if it was appropriate to call it a “plastic” yoyo if it is actually a hybrid. I’m getting confused on what is the proper taxonomy of yoyos around here.

the protostar basically has a plastic body, but with metal rings. it essentially is just a plastic with metal to give more weight & rim weight.

I’m not sure, but I think of it as plastic with metal weight rings. I guess the technical term would be “bi-material” since we call alu with steel weight rings “bi-metal”.

Okay, so then what is a “hybrid” yoyo, and how does it differ from “plastic with metal weight rings”? As in the category that yoyos like the iCEBERG fall under in the YYE webstore?

1 Like

I think it matters where the metal is actually placed. Hybrids usually have the metal on the side instead of the inside.

usually when i think of hybrid plastics i think of “plastic with metal rings” and not “metal with plastic body.” the plastic is the main focus of the yoyo

Right, well exception was taken to calling out “plastic with metal rings” in a thread about “competitive plastic” yoyos, so the distinction is apparently a very important one. A standard name for these “hybrids” would appear necessary.

1 Like

theres no hybrid option because the two main categories are “body material” and “rim.” the protostar would go under plastic body and aluminium rim.

1 Like

On YYE there is only a hybrid tag instead of an option.

In the context of this topic, it’s about being “ahead of its time” and I wouldn’t say adding metal to plastic alone is enough to accomplish that:

So I dunno if it’s relevant here, maybe there should be a dedicated topic for the semantics discussion of “when is a plastic not a plastic”? I dunno. Feels off topic to me, personally.

I realize that; I’m just trying to get some clarification of terminology. You called the ProtoStar a plastic yoyo, when in fact it seems that it is a hybrid yoyo (or whatever single-word term you prefer in place of the needlessly verbose “plastic with metal rings”). Regardless of specific context, proper terminology is always prefered, at least by me.

It just feels a bit pedantic and off topic, at least for this topic about what yoyos were ahead of their time. If you want to create a dedicated topic for the semantics discussion, maybe that’d be best?

As far as this topic goes, I think there’s plenty of evidence that “just slap some metal on the plastic” does not make a yoyo ahead of its time, necessarily.

2 Likes

Two that come to mind:

Ti-Walker
Draupnir.

3 Likes

The TiWalker. Eight or nine years later I still use it as a bench mark for how good a yoyo is.

2 Likes

NiNe DrAgOnS iS aHeAd Of It’S tImE!!

5 Likes

I don’t think there was a yoyo that was more ahead of its time than the Sleipnir. During a time when many didn’t really understand good yoyo design, the real importance of rim weight, low walls, and an angular design, the Sleipnir had all of that and more by using 7075 Aluminum. It was hailed as the best performing yoyo by many for nearly 5 years after its release and even to this day, the Sleipnirs design is seen as a guideline of how a great yoyo should be made.

The Draupnir and some yoyos prior to the Sleipnir were ahead of their time as well but I don’t think any yoyo held the status as the true premier benchmark as long as the Sleipnir did.

In terms of price though, I will agree that the Protostar is probably the tops or close to it. I don’t recall a yoyo that performed better for less than $35 until around 2014

3 Likes