Whats Your Thoughts on M-Shaped Throws?

Would the mowl m and mowl m+ be considered m shape or more of a W ?

I was thinking that but the description they put out for it called it a rounded H-shape

Another one I don’t see mentioned here is the H-Spin Gorylla/Tigorylla series

5 Likes

The samurai is my easy favorite of these.

3 Likes

It’s a H shape. The rims are flared out unlike M shapes which have rims that shrink.

1 Like

MonkeyFingeR Evil Yo is super stable and has a catch zone the size of a Buick. Really fun for certain tricks.

5 Likes

nice! how does it look from the side? is it as extreme as the samurai?

3 Likes

the catch 22 by yyf was the first M shaped yoyo i’ve seen. never yoyoed with one - but have been wanting a similar form factor since.

i remember FNG gettin’ one and was quite impressed.

mgodzilla

partly cloudy…

2 Likes

I’ve just been watching this video on yoyo design and some of the limits there are when it comes to machining

Sounds like its quite difficult to get an M shape machined. Which is probably why we don’t see to many of them. Does anyone know more about how you could machine a mono-metal M shape without having to get a custom maching tool for the job? I assume it varies from machine shop to machine shop but I’m curious to see how you would go about getting one made

The undercut doesn’t need to be the same shape as the rim above it, so you can design the clearances you need.

1 Like

Yeah, I was thinking you could spread out where the bulk of the metal would be so the undercut wouldn’t be as extreme but would still have the M-shape to it. I know very little about yoyo design but would like to download some CAD software to mess around with some ideas I have

Wouldn’t the C22 count as an H shape? I don’t really see any drastic tapering on the rim. I’ve never seen one in person though

Check out FreeCAD, it’s a free program that’s very easy to use and I’ve been quite happy with it for my needs. There is a series of walkthrough videos on YouTube to guide you through the learning curve.

Ivan

1 Like