Difference between 1A yoyo Shapes.

So I have been throwing for about 7 months now. I feel my skills are coming along nicely. I have been able to complete some decent string tricks during the short time I have been involved in this hobby.

However, now that I am getting serious about this hobby and am now spending 100 to 200 per throw it made me think of a question… Are there differences between different 1A yoyo shapes?

For Example: O-Shape, V-Shape, H-Shape. Is the O-Shape better for speed over lets say the V-shape? Or is the H-shape better for balance?
Or for Example: Does the Size really matter all that much? Example 60mm, 55mm, 50mm?
Or for another Example: Do sharp edges make a difference over rounded edges on a throw?

Since I haven’t been involved in this hobby for as long as some of you… I haven’t been able to experience that many different throws in order to determine a trend (One Shape over another)

This question came to me because while I enjoy all sorts of tricks, I am more drawn to the technical ones like Grandma Kimmits Sandwich or Rancid Milk.
Is there a shape and size that yoyo’rs have found to be better for these types of tricks. (Of course Personal Preference aside.)

Thanks

i am playing 7 months and i have shutter :-
if you like tech trick i will choose a small yoyo

Undersized yoyos will work best for tech. Something around 48-52 mm will work good. Of course, all yoyos will work fine though.

Thanks guys… I appreciate it.

Anyone else care to comment on different Butterfly shapes affect play.

Usually the different shapes are just for preference, same for sizes. However, H-shapes are general more rim weighted, and V-shapes are often better for speed. The shape is just one part of the weight distribution of a yoyo, which is what gives different yoyos their different “feels,” that and the weight.

Weight distribution is really the main difference between throws. In my experience more rim weight means longer spins, more stable, heavier feeling. Where as center weight makes it lack a bit in spin and stability, but makes up for it in ability and float. A lot of companies will place the weight in between, for a compromise between these qualities.

And between size, larger yoyos are much more stable due to more mass, and smaller ones are a bit less stable. But that also depends on shape and weighting!

no.
A smaller yoyo can have just as much mass as a bigger yoyo. It can even have way more. It all depends on how the weight is placed. A bigger yoyo can have the weight placed where it is more necessary for stability while a smaller yoyo can’t. It also depends on how much of the cup is cut out.

Well typically yes.
But usually a 50mm 70g yoyo would be MUCH less stable than a 60mm 70g yoyo.
I’ve had both and Honestly it really depends on the shape and weighting.

Plus in the thing you quoted from me I even said
“But that also depends on the shape and weighting!”

I design yoyos and have had one machined
And have played well over 150 yoyos. I think k I know my stuff :wink:

Just for an update… I bought a new throw to try out some of the suggestions here.

New Throw Type:
One Drop Cascade “Hairband” (Last one YYE had in stock for that color :stuck_out_tongue: )

It came down to this throw and the last CLYW puffin YYE had in stock.
I chose the cascade because it was different then what One Drop usually makes.(So I wanted to give it a try) Plus the size (53.0 mm) and way its cut seems to be what a lot of people are suggesting for more technical tricks.
Not to mention the reviews say its pretty versatile between play styles. So I’m going to give it a go and see if I notice any difference between this throw and some of the larger ones I am more used to using.

Thanks for answering some of my questions guys.

Yes, there are differences between 1A yoyo shapes, both in playability and look of a yoyo. Putting preference aside, shapes and sizes (dimension) will affect spin behavior of a yoyo and eventually come to how you feel it moving at the end of the string. The effect/product of shapes x sizes x weight x weight distribution x materials (metal, delrin, plastics, hybrid etc) of a yoyo can be countless and complicated. But personally I think your own preference (manufacturer, dimension, finishing, color, etc) should be a more important consideration in choosing a yoyo, unless you are choosing one for competition purpose. Let the manufacturers take care of the playability of their yoyo, which I think most of them are doing very well nowadays. And don’t worry, I strongly believe that you may eventually have your own preference one day…

1 Like

You know this is probably the best advice I have heard about this hobby in awhile.

Thanks

Nice the cascade is great I actually got a hairband cascade this christmas, I love it im very tech as well and I can say that ita probably my favorite great choice man!

-Dylan

The last thing I kinda wanna mention actually.
3 maybe 4 types of weight distribution.

Rim, middle, center, and if this counts even.

Rim weight is like this

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSy0vncyYMACx8JpcJxr9674-jKN9uLKuW9pKjG81xxh8HkYSo5

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKsb4k5kD2jsh_SEOjXGbHjg3FmQjxIjPSrXrkKno8-jjAf9kN0A

Why I chose these 2? It shows Material difference too.
The Sleipnir, Made of 7075 can be made thinner and thicker in other areas without compromising Durability. the Sasquatch is 6061 and is still very thick rimmed, but isn’t quite as thick due to the less dense material not being able to be molded quite as thin on the inside, and as thick on the outside without compromising durability.
Rim weighting is typically the most stable :slight_smile:

Middle weight. (My personal favorite :slight_smile: )

http://birdinhand.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/g/e/generalyo-m10-clear.jpg

So, the Cascade. see how the thicker area happens to be right between the rim and hub?
That gives it such a lovley flowyy feel on the string.

The M10, is middle weighted, but the V shape makes the weight even more in the middle, if you can get what I mean? (If not, then let me know, I’ll draw a picture to help you all understand!)

Center weight.

I don’t have too many examples of this.
but generally older plastics have this

But this is a VERY drastic example, the 3yo3 cloud 9

Not as stable, but has a really cool, super light feeling. very interesting to play.

and Even weighting. as in the same thickness through the entire thing.

The Avalanche and Mr. butcher bother appear this way, but the avalanche seems just a little ore rim weighted.
So here is the Mr. Butcher

This is a really interesting one. It has Characteristics of Rim weighting and center weighting.
But I feel like This gives it a bit more heft on the throw, and light on the string.
Super fun, and very cool!

So, Where am I going with this?
Shape, mixed with these weightings, can all create something really cool.
But Specs also help.
The Overdrive, large dia, low weight, and rim wieghted, V shaped
Plays nothing like a messiah, small, heavy, small dia, and still V shaped.

Hopefully someone will read these ramblings haha!
And I hope you guys can choose yoyos more easily with this, information!

1 Like