Finally finding a shape/weight I prefer.

So lots of trial and error, a few exchanges and mishaps, but I’m (ignorantly) narrowing down my likes and dislikes. I have a Dread, which I exchanged for a DreadG. The Dread is SO much better. So what shape is the Dread? Is this shape why it is so stable? I could throw that yoyo while sky diving into a tornado inside of a hurricane and it would still spin dead straight. Would the One drop diplomat in that same shape and the kountach both have that same stability? There’s two shape types that SEEM similar but one is more stable than the other? I getting ready to expand my throws, I’d like to buy another four or five, but I want to narrow down exactly what and why I’m buying. I have a horizon. It’s ok… I use it as an "if the string breaks over concrete I’m ok with it " yoyo (but I change often). I head that the DV888 is one of the most stable yoyo’s available, yet the shape is different than these (h shapes?)

Stability is mainly weight distribution, there are other factors but weight distribution is the main part. High concentration of weight on the rims creates the stable feeling. Smaller yoyos also tend to be more stable, most likely because of the size to weight ratio.

More rim weight and lower wall, more stable. I’d disagree if smaller yoyos tend to be more stable, it’s the opposite. Since the rim cannot be pushed outward, it will be basically the same as bigger diameter with less rim weight, though it depends on the design too.

Ok, solid probably wasn’t the right word. Smaller yoyos tend to feel heavier, which may make it seem more stable.

Agreed that small yoyos have a more solid feel, yet are not as stable (in terms of staying on-axis during play).

Regarding the specific yoyos you asked about, I love the Kuntosh, but I don’t think that I would be leaping to proclaim its superior stability or anything. It has plenty of stability, but not that “holy moly, this just will NOT go off-axis!” feel to it.

TO MY KNOWLEDGE (which isn’t very much, as you will soon read), it’s not so much the shape as the weight distribution across the yoyo that affects stability. I could give you two yoyos with a somewhat similar shape, for example the psg and too hot. Both have a similar shape but the psg is relatively unstable where as I feel the too hot is very stable. The weight of the too hot is more based around rim weight whereas the psg has a higher ratio of center weight to it. It depends more upon the weight distribution then the actual shape.

You’ve compared two yoyos of a similar shape, but with different weight distribution, so your comparison doesn’t actually take shape into account! It may very well be that weight distribution has a greater effect on stability than shape, but both effect the stability. I know you didn’t say the shape doesn’t effect stability…

Here’s a blurb about the Gauntlet that hints at how much shape (and width) can effect stability:

“The second unique feature is the rounded, organic shape. Organic shapes have several pros and cons; They are very comfortable to hold and throw, they handle rejections easily, and move at an easy pace. On the other hand, organic shapes tend to be less stable and sleep for less time than more convention V or H shaped yoyos.
What makes the Gauntlet such a special yoyo is that while it is an organic shaped yoyo, it has none of the down sides of its shape. The extra width seemingly cancels out the negatives of it’s organic shape, making the Gauntlet Yoyo transcend classic design wisdom.”

Then again, maybe it’s just that it’s harder to push the weight out to the rims with an organic shape, but I suppose the effect is the same regardless.

So on that note… what are some known dead stable throws? I heard the DV888 is really stable, any others? I went from the Dread, which I liked a lot, to the Dread G thinking the extra heft would produce even more spin and stability. It was so heavy, it labored down the string and seemed to just lumber there at the bottom. It also, 95 percent of the time UFOed. (I wasn’t my throwing). I’d even throw it off my index finger, off of one side (opposite its inversion) and it STILL would UFO. So weird.

DV888 is not really stable when you’re looking for ‘the most stable’, although it’s plenty stable on its own.
If there is any yoyo that is a little ‘too stable’ yet still lightweight enough to maneuver easily, that might be Draupnir.
After a while, you’ll be able to tell if a throw is going to be very stable on the specs alone. As long as the weight is concentrated on the rim, it has low wall (area where the string usually wound), it will be stable. Bonus if it is oversized it’s going to be insane.

Typical stable yoyo: thick/heavy rim, low wall, usually but not always v-shaped, full size or bigger.

Is that the Draup? Did you polish that? I’ve noticed that some say “nickel” but they seem to be painted nickel. I’m getting a bonus in January and I want to go up to the shop (it’s about an hour away) and drop a few hundos…

I guess that right now, my tricks are pretty basic, not walk the dog basic, more like man and the trap, man and his brother, double or nothing. So a nice stable and long spinning yo2 seems good for those. I can see the need for a nice light throw with advanced tricks. It’s funny how many grown men get all excited when I have my yoyo out at work. (Can I try it, can I try it, I’ve never seen a yoyo like this before).

Any bimetal should be crazy stable. Maybe try a superstar2016? It plays great and is attractively priced for sure.