What's up with the FH1's?

What made them so wildly popular? and if they where so popular, why did Duncan discontinue them?

They became popular as the first yoyo to be specifically made for 5a. Also, they are darn good yoyos (especially for the time). The reason they stopped making them, is because the mold broke that makes them. This is why we have the Freehand Zero and Hyper Freehand.

3 Likes

I think (if I’m remembering right) that these were some of the last “Made in USA” Duncans, not that quality-wise would make a difference. I so wish that I bought a Freehand yoyo back then when the shelves were flooded with them at Target, just so that today I can say “I have an FH1!”

after finally playing with a FH1 for more than a month I can tell you it makes me sadder that the mold broke, the FHZ feels cheap by comparison. :frowning:

The freehand was not only popular due to the 5a designed shape, but it was a overall revolution when it came to yoyo design due to the use of caps for added weight. Although the use of pads were already in place (SB2), the response mechanism was cutting edge because it provided a different type of material/responsiveness. That classic original gangsta shape would prove to be one of the most classic shapes of all time.

Yes, unfortunately the mold broke for that particular throw, and so they had to develop a different one to which was the hyper freehand as well as the Freehand Zero.

Its so dang weird though, because it really is a psychological effect about the difference between fh1 and fh0. Both the same shape, both made of plastic…I remember how when duncan came out with the “new” freehand response sticker known as “friction biscuits”. All that was different was the colours. The old ones were grey and the new ones were black and people were swearing to god that the black ones wore out faster and yet they were made by the same type of fabric/production way.

~Z

I don’t get why they are so popular, when you can get a WAY better quality yoyo from YYJ or YYF. I have one and it sleeps for like 15 seconds and it dies. I just use mine for testing mods.

Don’t know why. They just are. I don’t have one. I have a couple of FH0’s though and a couple of FH2’s.

IF you’re only getting 15 seconds, either your throw needs work or your bearing needs a serious cleaning.

Yea nowadays you can, but back in 2001 when the FH1’s came out you couldnt.

FH1 is still an amazing yoyo, it has been used to win world titles.

I love anything freehand. The FH1 started it all and thats why its so popular. Why are classic Mustangs so popular?

2 Likes