New Freehand project

I saw a post recently on IG teasing a new freehand. Anyone have any additional info on this? Apparently it gets released on the 18th

19th at 8PM for the USA actually.

1 Like

Yeah I did see that as well. I think it’s just a plastic version of the Duncan freehand Al the main difference is that it’s more of an organic shape compared to the freehand pro which was Duncan’s freehand plastic throw for a while but I guess they wanted another plastic and made a cheaper more affordable version of the freehand Al

1 Like

It’s actually a recreation of the original Freehand/Freehand Zero but updated to more modern playability, so I guess you could call it a plastic version of the Freehand One AL Small Bearing.

1 Like

Oh I thought the freehand al was based on the freehand

A freehand based on plastic to make a freehand al based freehand on the freehand al :thinking:

Sorry my bad :sweat_smile: I’m not very good at remembering all of the Duncan freehand yo-yos :joy:

3 Likes

The Freehand Zero (which was made because the original molds of the FH1 were lost/broken) is one of my favorite plastics and was hugely popular in the modding scene so I’m really excited for this one, especially since they’ve made new pads for it and are updating it to be a bit more modern playing.

2 Likes

Is it unresponsive?

It was a very ubiquitous yoyo at the time. One of the classics. Still a very fun one too.

1 Like

That sounds pretty neat I might pick one up and try some 5a with it we’ll see :grin:

It will probably come semi-responsive like the Freehand One AL Small bearing, but I don’t doubt it can be made to play unresponsive like that and FHZ’s could be. While the FHZ required a pad or silicone recess, this one will likely just need a clean bearing and/or a centering bearing (for extra unresponsiveness).

1 Like

Interesting… very interesting.
Might be a fun 25$

4 Likes

I would say so :wink:

Does anyone know the bearing size on the updated version? And if it needs spacers like the original?

Really excited about these!

3 Likes

Still uses spacers and on this run at least it’s size A

3 Likes

Like @OhDavidBowie said it used spacers which are very similar to the original so it’s A-bearing. Not sure if there are plans for a C-bearing version since that would require a new mold which is expensive :money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

I’m sure I heard somewhere that they might do various colours too.

I hope they do, then I won’t have to keep searching for clear ones to paint!

2 Likes

It’s been posted to the store.

I’m on the fence of being super stoked and also being cautiously optimistic but also slightly apprehensive to get super excited for fear of being let down by my own hyped up expectations, lol… I hope it feels true to the FH1. It seems more like an update to the FHZ than FH1, but at the same time it has a mix of both elements. So it may be pretty sweet.

I have always wondered why Duncan had gone so long to put out another real FH1. With all of the different iterations they have released over the years they could have paid for another FH1 mold instead and have been pumping them out all along. Years ago the story was that it was too expensive to have new molds created… but we’ve seen 3 or 4 other variants with the FreeHand name. It’s always been a mystery and kind of perplexing. Either way, it’s great to see it’s finally happening! I will definitely have to pick one or 10 up :stuck_out_tongue: