What's the thing with fhz?

Why does everybody like it so much, and why are there many versions of it?

Its a classic and very capable yoyo.

And somewhat of a standard set for many yoyos to follow in a sense.

Version wise, its simply because it was a yoyo that such could be done with it, and with it being a very marketable yoyo with a high chance of sale, it was done, has been done, and will most likely continue to be done.

Haru

1 Like

'cause itā€™s awesome.

because its been around for 10years

I have a recessed one with a 10 ball and flowable itā€™s awesome!

The general idea is that one, they are OG as one might say, and two they are cheap and great for modifying.

And yet theyā€™re great to play stock too

mmmmm Zerosā€¦

Another reason they are so popular is because sick bastards like me keep buying themā€¦over and over again. Iā€™m still looking for a bionic and yodel one.

Donā€™t forget Steve Brown! Also, Tyler Severance used it to win Worlds 5A in 2007.

They are the heart and soul of yoyoā€™s to me.

They have more soul in that 66* grams of plastic than any other throw Iā€™ve had.
*yes, I do infact know itā€™s not exactly 66 grams of plastic.

Whereā€™s Brandon Jackson??

anyhowā€¦ hereā€™s his collectionā€¦ http://www.flickr.com/photos/yobrandon/sets/72157621585949327/

They are just a favorite! Almost any FHZ can be modded to about anything.

Itā€™s classic, part of yo-yo history and since its so cheap, everyone should own at least one. And itā€™s really fun to play wiht.

FHZs are awesome and timeless! And itā€™s FHZ Friday today!!!

Yeah, Iā€™m getting my first one soon, itā€™s going to be a Mongu!!

Got a strange feeling he wonā€™t be running out of counterweights :wink:

Alsoā€¦ I canā€™t believe it hasnā€™t been mentioned yet (orā€¦ that I forgot to mention it earlier)

Itā€™s the yo-yo that broke the mold - literally.

But when the Original FH1 was introducedā€¦ it set the bar for modern performance yoyo play. It was untouchable. It was smooth, consistent, and could be tuned responsive/unresponsive enough that it pretty much MADE all of the ground-breaking tricks that made the 2001 era of trick innovation possible. (also, much thanks to the Renegade via SuperYo)

BUT! then the mold broke in the factory. (It was only a test mold anyhowā€¦)

Duncan didnā€™t have the cash for, or didnā€™t want to put up the cash for the new mold to bust out a set of high-quality yoyosā€¦ for a few hundred players. The market wasnā€™t ready for it.

SO! in 2004 when the FH Zero was introduced - and it was an almost perfect replica of the FH1 in every way, but tweaked w/ some slight improvementsā€¦ it became an overnight legend.

And I would say that for THAT reason, more than any other, it is the iconic yo-yo that it is.

1 Like

i still have about 20. what i love is the extent to which players have applied minor structural mods to give them a really interesting and ā€˜diverseā€™ feel. i still have about 20 or so, and almost all of them are set up a little differently. my favorite remains the deep 1-side takeshi recess with kentaro pad.

such a good yo-yo. really overlooked in the days of ā€˜if itā€™s not metal itā€™s crap.ā€™
hereā€™s a fhz video i made years ago.

Brandon Jackson gave me a FHZ of his,too bad I didnā€™t get it signed