Whats up with the Avant Garde 2 hate?

The Avant Garde 2 is a feel throw in my opinion, which is surprising coming from YYF. When it came out I wanted to hate it for being unstable, (or rather just not up to the level of stability I’m used to now) but It’s what I’ve been looking for out of YYF for a year or two now. It doesn’t feel like just another hunk of metal that sleeps well.

That said, it sucks.

I am going to be honest and say that I haven’t tried the AG2 but I have tried the OG AG and I really liked it in the beginning but I alway go back to my V shapes because that’s what I like. I eventually sold it off but it does not mean it “sucks”. I have been seeing a lot of similar threads lately and most of them are about personal preference.

I can tell if I will like a Yoyo by the shape and specs. Because I know what I like and what I feel comfortable with. I will still buy weird shape yoyos because it’s for fun and I still like throwing weird things but eventually they go into my b/s/t but again it doesn’t mean they suck.

I had a GE too and I sold that off after I went past the “new throw” phase. it doesnt mean that the GE sucked. The shape of the AG2 n GE are similar but specs are a bit different. Like the guys from yyf said this was a weird shape and I am glad they are taking risks because they can… They are big enough to experiment or try new things. Instead of saying bad things about it and saying it sucks, say that its an extreme shape which does not suit your preference. Also you should encourage them to keep coming up with revolutionary designs that will push the limits of yoyoing. There are other companies too that are pushing the boundaries but I mentioned yyf because we are talking about the AG2.

I try to support yoyoing in general, trying hard not to be one sided or just about one company, but I get it… It’s hard not to … And even I will fall into that category sometimes but I realize that if you keep playing with the same thing over and over, it gets boring and you don’t get to experience all of the different favors of throwing.

So kudos to yyf and every other company out there pushing the boundaries. Just know that you are appreciated.

Bwahahaha that made my day

If I were Steve Brown I could probably afford to look at it this way and still be awesome.

As it is, if a yoyo doesn’t jive with me almost immediately it drastically affects my play. I end up relagating a lot of cool yoyos to the display case, but some yoyos are just immediately more fun when you’re terrible.

I agree. In my case, I don’t care for the original AG or the AG2. Preferences. They didn’t work for me. So, I’m glad I got a chance to try them and as a result, I’m glad I didn’t spend money on either of them.

Not every product will connect with every player. Not all players will like all yoyos. I can be stated that I flat out hate the Popstar. Have I said it’s crap? No, I’ve just really stated that I really, really don’t like this yoyo. If it was crap, I doubt YYF would keep making it. If it was crap, I doubt people would keep buying it too. However, YYF keeps making it and people keep buying it. So, it’s not crap, but I still don’t lke it and I don’t have to change my opinion on it.

Unless there was some sort of quality issue or some design flaw, I think this declaration of “crap” is just unjustified.

On a similar note, YYF Ben had to make an announcement postponing the OneStar since what was produced wasn’t up to standards. I suppose they are crap. Oops. Crap happens. The thing is, the guy in charge decided to declare crap for that batch/run and avoid selling it so as not to dump crap on the marketplace. Thank you, Ben. I gotta respect you for that. I do have a ONEStar, got it at BAC, and it ain’t crap. In fact, I was playing it a lot the past 2 days. It’s a great yoyo, so I can’t wait until properly made ones can hit the market so others can enjoy this every bit as much as I do.

So, with the AG and AG2, YYF took a chance. Hey, people gotta take chances for this to continue to evolve and progress. Not everything will take the market by storm.

1 Like

I threw it at BAC and I liked it!
Wish I had the money to pick it up at the time!
Also I had money to pick up AG (the b grade 50$) in some awesome brown and goldish yellow while I was there and I’m kicking myself for not because that was also cool!

Let us be fair, I never used either of the words “garbage” or “crap”, nor would I ever use such words as those in reference to any yoyo. What I did say is the “AG2 isn’t absolutely horrible, I’m just saying if you have $125 to drop on a yoyo I’d spend my money differently.” That comment I stand by. For the same money one could buy both a YYF Genesis and Duncan Raptor and have two throws which I prefer over my Avant Garde 2. I do agree this is just my preference. It is also probably true I haven’t given my Avant Garde 2 a fair chance as I don’t take it out of my case and throw it very often. The OP’s use of the word “hate” is most unfortunate as I do not hate any of my throws. (Although some do just barely make it across the line.) I certainly don’t hate my AG2 nor do I think it’s “garbage” and I think it’s unreasonable to imply I said such.

I am very uncomfortable speaking ill of any manufacturer’s product and it wasn’t truly my intention to speak ill of the AG2. I only wished to express I find it to be a disappointing product for the chunk of change one has to lay down to own one.

It’s almost impossible for a yoyo to be considered garbage nowadays unless it cannot perform the fundemental functions it was designed to do. Most of them can. The rest comes down to preferance. People that haven’t realized this by now are either bored and want to stir up drama or get something for free from Ben.

1 Like

YYF craps excellence, so maybe it is crap…

this thread → Bunch of attitude, then a few people say pretty much the same thing (truth), and this up there ends the thread pretty well

The real issue is that a lot of threads aren’t general enough. This thread could have simply been about the overall shape of the yoyo (is it an H? “I-beam”? whatever). It is clear to me some people look at the AG2 and GE and say “huh, those are kind of similar.” ILYY Fury seems a bit along this track here too.

I’d love to have a discussion about yoyo shapes, where they’re going, and perhaps the more uncommon ones which regularly fall behind the mainstream.

1 Like

:smiley:

I will definitely say the Ag2 is a love/hate throw its not meant for everyone. I also feel though that people don’t give it enough chance, did you try to like it? Or did you throw it once and say, “wow another crappy yyf”. I absolutely love both of mine, they work for me but I did have to like it. I swapped bearings, tried different string, different playstyles and I got used to it. So while it may really not be for everyone I believe not a lot of you have given it a fair shot (not directed at anyone)

Well, it is called the avant garde :slight_smile:

Is the original one better

Price wise it is a little expensive but it is an odd shape so it may have to be milled diffrently since there is a cut on the inside. More mill time and even more than one run on a mill is costly so there is that. Annodizing may be harder, not sure.

I played one and it isn’t bad but one thing I know for sure is that the yoyo community does not (as a complete whole) favor really wide yoyos. I know because they are the hardest to trade next to yoyos that no one even knows about and most people have smaller hands than others in this teen and pre-teen activity. Big or wierd shapes are not the favorites of many yoyoers, (noctu for example).

I like wide yoyos and the extreamly wide yoyos that other manufacturers put out so I did enjoy it. It was just a bit too heavy for me. The yoyoskeel stalker is a great wide yoyo and the YYF monster is one of the best wide yoyos ever. The zeus by x^3 is in my top two favorites of wide yoyos as well. It is ALL prefrence and EVERYBODY will have diffrent ones.

If someone dislikes something they will often over exagerate what they don’t like about it to make it seem like they just didn’t decide that on a whim and to validate themselves. Not saying everybody does that but it definitly happens. I allways try to like a yoyo even if the shape doesn’t appeal to me, I give them all a fighting chance.

The Avant Garde 2 is a good yoyo for me since I do like wide yoyos and I have big hands so the shape isn’t uncomfortable at all. Just my little two cents.

One of the best yoyos I’ve ever thrown. Honestly.

It’s WORLDS better in my opinion. Everyone really seems to love the first one.

Honestly I don’t like the original avant garde. To bulky for me, I just love a floaty and light yoyo even though the ag2 is heavy to me as well I do like it a lot more than the original. Prefrence prefrence prefrence, haha.

I want to try both the AG and AG2, just because the AG is similar to the Volume, which I loved for its shape, but wished it was a little rounder. I rarely like YYF, because of their pricing…I like the Super wide way more than the Monster, mainly because SW plays more me, due to roundness…But YYF makes a Less machined version (Thus, should cost less) but add a Ten dollar bearing and Charges almost 40 dollars more? I just done like that. But I do like the Ideas they try to improve with. I loved My Counter Attack, I personally like it more then the North Star, But I also prefer the Proto Star. either way, I like the looks of Both AG’s, but that’s me.