What's the point of have multiple yo-yos?

This is like going directly to a Car Show (Yo-Yo Site) and asking Car Owners (Yo-Yo Owners) why would they buy more Lamborghini’s, Porsche’s, and Ferrari’s (Yo-Yo’s) when they already own 10 or 20 of thelm.

Or asking Rockefeller why he kept going and questioning how much does he really need after becoming a multi-billionaire, at which he replied to “Oh…Just a little more than I had yesterday!”

The truth is, a lot of us don’t need anymore Yo-Yo’s…That’s right I said it. If you have over a 100 Yo-Yo’s like I do, you realize the space they take up could probably go towards something more productive.

But it’s not the Yo-Yo that’s important it’s the experience we had with that Yo-Yo and the memories it created for us, the Tricks we can say we learned on that Yo-Yo, the fun times we can look back on.

It’s completely fiscally irresponsible.

But that hasn’t stopped people from doing things - ever.

It’s still enjoyable. It’s also a pure and lovely thing to pursue. A great art and a great hobby.

Maybe a good thing for more people to think about… but overall, I wouldn’t sweat it.

2 Likes

This is what I was going to say, but Adam beat me to it. You could be completely fiscally responsible if you want. That’s pretty boring though. How you spend your money isn’t always sensible or logical, but it is always one thing - your choice. And frankly, it’s a better choice than throwing your money away on drugs.

The last yoyo I bought was a Chief, just about three years ago now IIRC. I scooped a second with anno blur in the bearing cup lol. Once you find a yoyo shape and style that appeals to you, that yoyo will use likely be used for 95% of your yoyo play there is really no reason.
In my opinion Yoyo design peaked a couple of years ago, every single yoyo made now is likely a copy of a yoyo, quite literally given they are all machined by a computer that has already been made, maybe a little bigger smaller lighter heavier, but essentially they are all the same. I guess it also depends on your definition of large, a lot of people think i have a large yoyo collection ?
I stopped at about 20-25, have like 20 quality throws and a few beaters and plastics I let the kids use, I probably throw the Chief and a Supernova the most, but i try to use them all, I enjoy every one of them so…
If you just started, then i feel you owe it too yourself to explore the yoyos available a bit, I bought almost every yoyo i own off the BST, so I paid a good deal less than buying brand new yoyos.
Something to consider.

I agree with this, for the most part. I mentioned people disappearing from the forum, in the past, because of yo-yo spending. I view it the same way, and that we’re all basically hanging out in a store when we’re logged in here. So, I try to keep things in a “buying” mood, and generally post with that attitude, because that’s a lot of the reason I’m here. I’m always reading up on what’s out there, what’s coming next, and what I missed that was out long ago that I might still be able to find. So, I can see why someone trying to save their money might tune out logging in here for awhile.

I will never stop buying multiples due to “space” though. For some of the younger people posting, they only have their bedroom closet, and under their bed, to store their stuff. Older people might have a whole house, basement included, to store stuff. I have several hundred yo-yos, and they are not even taking up 20% of one closet in the house. I don’t think “space” will ever be the reason that I cut down. Yo-yos are so small, and inexpensive, that I have more reasons to give the OP for buying them, than not buying them.

Well, you kinda don’t count. It says you’re a Manufacturer guy. :wink:

My wife asked me once why I have 3 canoes. All I could say was “Why not? They all do different things.” And yes, it’s fiscally irresponsible. :wink:

First of all, I’m a shopping addict. Second of all, I suspect many of us are on the never ending quest to find the perfect yoyo.

Owning exactly 3 yoyos today doesn’t make me any less happy than when I owned 30 or 130 but I’ll happily keep buying yoyos to try new things and sell/trade them if they aren’t something I feel I need to own.