What yoyo is this? Looking to learn responsive play

I have been reading up a lot of old threads on the forum and found a great quote from the great @Markmont.

Which got me thinking, while I am in the school of thought for most hobbies that the game/skill/tricks itself is hard enough why make it harder on yourself use the tools that gives you the easiest way to learn.

But at the same time I do notice that sometimes my tricks are not smooth as I am not maintaining string tension the whole time and ruining what little flow I have.

So while I still plan on learning new tricks on easier yoyos i.e. a modern unresponsive yoyo built for stability and power like the Dove I’m currently using or the VTWO that is on the way.

But I do see a lot of wisdom in Markmont’s advice and I plan on incorporating it into my practice by practicing tricks I can already do on a responsive yoyo to smooth things out and learn to feel the yoyo and strings better.

Coincidentally while contemplating modifying one of my existing yoyos to play responsive, I found a yoyo I had from a while back that I gave my daughter to play with. Perfect! I can use this to pick up and try unresponsive.

But curious to what this yoyo actually is.
Anyone can tell me what I am looking at from just the photos? (I don’t remember buying this one, and I vaguely remember receiving it as secret Santa from one of the forums back then)

1 Like

Not that it’s unexpected, but apparently I suck at yoyos ^^
Even just doing the trapeze and his brother or barrel rolls, or buddha’s revenge without the yoyo coming back in the middle is not an easy feat.

Now I realise just how much slack I have been allowing on the strings when doing little things like slowing the yoyo down to make it easy to land on strings.

Not that I ever thought I was good, but that was a more humbling experience than I anticipated.

Back to the practice board and start from rock the baby again

1 Like

Not all responsive yoyos have a gap/response that easily accommodates 1A string stricks. It might not be you; it could (also) be the yoyo.

1 Like

Pretty sure that yo-yo is a Duncan Freehand Zero. Spingear is a big yo store in Tokyo.

1 Like

I think learning how to do something and learning how to do it well require different approaches. I’d say learning responsive saves people frustration down the road at the cost of more initial frustration.

One big thing that learning unresponsive will cost is smoothness/flow.

6 Likes

Thanks dude!
But I’m pretty sure it is me :sweat_smile:
As it’s possible and things like split the atom seems to have no problems so I don’t think I can blame the yoyo too much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah awesome, thank you for the info!
Can anyone confirm this as a second opinion? Hehe

1 Like

Yeah I’m kind of glad I’m doing this now rather than later, I should try and practice all my tricks on this after I learn it first as long as it’s not a slack or whip tricks

So does anyone know if this is a good yoyo to learn on?
The response stickers seem super super grippy and even the slightest hint makes it come back.
Not sure if that’s normal or this yoyo is more responsive than most.

1 Like

If you really want to practice 1A with a responsive yoyo, I’d recommend throwing something like a First Base, Arrow, or Sage.

2 Likes

There is a reason Markmont has the style and flow he has. He learned on old school Yoyos. That said, I “learned” Buddha’s Revenge on an unresponsive. When I tried it on a responsive yoyo I learned why the trick has that name. That said, while I’m mediocre at best, fixed axle and modern responsive really helped my game

4 Likes

Bruh man this is a great testimonial. And that is a very good thing that you picked up on when trying to do rolls. The continuous motion that responsive requires literally damn near codes into your hands. You’ll have a better frame of reference for how to move the throw in a unresponsive (open source) arena as a result. Knowing when to be loose vs taught is a very integral part in developing style, timing and technique. Boingy, Eli Hops, Seasick, Vertigo, Spirit Bomb, Kamikaze, White Buddha - these are all great tricks to do on responsive that will have varying tension requirements. Get these comfy on responsive and you’ll legit enjoy your throwing ‘so’ so much more. Keep it up sir.

7 Likes

Agreed - you were right to assume it was ‘you’ and not the yoyo lol.

4 Likes

Stock friction stickers on a FHZ are ‘very’ responsive. You can wrap an offstring style string around the yoyo like your gonna offstring, then pull the string all the way clear to break the pads in some. First Base is def a good additional consideration because its a better yoyo that will last longer between pads. Plays amazing with slim bearing.

Also yes - a lot of prominent players got nice on Freehands for years back in the day - so if you wanna have that kinda same ‘walk like they do’ approach to your method of learning, then I would say stick on that for lil bit.

8 Likes

Preciate the kind words sir.

3 Likes

I had zero intention to go responsive, but your words above that I quoted in the first post inspired me to actually as it made a lot of sense as I already felt that my tricks were no smooth but I assumed I will be able to smooth them out the more I play.
Although this responsive thing is super frustrating and I feel a bit hopeless right now to be honest :frowning:
But at the same time actually this doesn’t seem too much like a long way round, it feels like a shortcut to getting smoother. In a “this is Sparta sort of way forcing me to learn it smooth.

Actually your videos are part of what inspired me to get back into it, discovering my old yoyos triggered it and your video made me want to reach some level I have in my mind.
(We had a brief interaction before on the day I first started)

I do agree it’s rarely the arrow not the archer, but at the same time I feel like this isn’t how responsive a responsive yoyo should be? Is there a way to make it a bit more forgiving instead of reacting to every vibration in the string that is less than perfect? Maybe I should try another sticker or pick up another cheap yoyo?

1 Like

Ah you kind of already answered my previous question. But I do have some spare stickers from back in the day that is now obsolete for my use given I am using a Dove (with a VTWO and a Ti-Vayder on the way)

You are right sir, I do want to get better but I don’t need to “walk the road of legends” or play in hardcore mode :slight_smile:
Responsive to get better agreed but would like it to not be like a day out with Professor Snape.

Any of these a better match to try?

1 Like

This is how I feel as well. And while I respect those who want to take the long, hard road to mastery, training like a kyujutsuka who isn’t given an arrow until they’ve spent years just drawing the bowstring, that just isn’t for me. I would get way too bored and discouraged with that approach.

3 Likes

Me trying to attempt a cold fusion on the Freehand Zero.

I don’t think I can get much more out of one throw as the yoyo was already almost dying and running out of sleep when I hopped back on to that trapeze.

(Helmet just for laughs ^^)

3 Likes

Yeah agreed, I don’t want to make it any harder on myself than it needs to be, but I do think this is helping me smooth out tricks faster.
I don’t plan on learning new tricks on a responsive yoyo and will use the Dove as I need all the help I can get, but afterwards going over a trick I already learnt again on the responsive, with the immediate feedback on errors it seems to help me smooth the trick out a little faster than if I were to keep practicing on the Dove.
Placebo maybe might look at investing another $20 and pick up another responsive plastic like the first base or the sage both of which you recommended to try.

1 Like

Couple videos done on stock, responsive Freehands. A lot of people used a new pad and 1wore out pad, so they weren’t as grippy. From memory, I believe that’s what both of these videos have going on. You can scrape off the silicone from the Duncan pads with your finger nail.

3 Likes