I don’t understand the love for all the “organic” throws

“Since using the WM though, I think my tricks have gotten a lot smoother and consistent. I’d recommend using a similar throw for ironing out any kinks.”

This is the meat and potatoes. Too quickly people get locked into the lane of preference vs instrument (and the learned benefits of said instrument). Yes - ‘some’ organics may in fact be more difficult to learn on, but that is definitely ‘not’ all and that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Me learning on more challenging plastics back in the day got my technique, feel and ability across the board way way way closer to where it needed to go. If I’d learned on an advanced super stable throw, my style and everything woulda been entirely different.

ALSO FOLKS SHOULD LEARN ON RESPONSIVE - PERIOD - AND SHORTER STRING

I personally wouldn’t recommend that anyone even learn on a metal nor un-responsive (that’s just me). Getting your primary basic 10 (honestly 10 - 40) tricks good on an actual beginner responsive yoyo teaches you and your hands a PRICELESS amount of information that is ‘much’ harder to retrofit learn/feel if you start with a more advanced throw. No diff then it would be a horrific idea for a beginner skiier to get wide skis that are also long, to learn on. They’d have great stability on foot and horrific control nor sense of control when carving based on the difficulty that those types of skis have in turning (since they are for deep soft snow vs a beginner flat packed trail). Learning how to ride a bike on a BMX instead of a bike with tricycles - weird results. In any scenario the results are odd and large. It’s the fact that we have sssooooo many options at our disposal, that we gloss over the value of ‘instrument’ and replace it with ‘want’ tied to preference.

Also yes - Not all organics are presumably ‘good’ just off the merit of being an organic. So if you’ve tried one or some that you don’t like, know that theres a whole lot more to try. The minor differences in design between them all warrant a ‘large’ variety of play feels.

Enjoying those basics on an advanced setup, if thats all you really want out of the craft, then by all means do you. Most all the suggestions I give are for those who wanna maximize their experience in throwing to the fullest. Not everyone wants to take it that far - and thats fine.

21 Likes