What your ETHNICAL composition everyone?

Just curious. Im about 80% Filipino and 20% Spanish (SPAIN not mexico!)

title edited

Irish/French/French Canadian

Korean/Hawaiian, Chinese

african
south korean
brazilian
russian
acknowledgements
Thanks for the history Grandma

Woah, talk about racially diverse! :o

Racial composition… I guess just straight-up caucasian. Nationality-wise, it’s Irish/Scottish/British.

My last name SEEMS to be an erosion of the french word for small, so it’s logical to assume I have some French back in my family history as well, but I have no record of that.

100% Puerto Rican

dutch, welsch, german, greek, like 1% irish, etc.

Diluted irish, my last name used to be O’ sexton.

(Edit idk it think I will go ask my parents)

Homo sapiens

Some of you are confusing race and national origin or ethnicity

1 Like

Agreed that some people are getting it wrong. However, Homo Sapiens is a species, not a race. And although I shun Wikipedia as a reliable source, the very article you link to starts with this:

“Race is a classification system used to categorize humans into large and distinct populations or groups by anatomical, cultural, ethnic, genetic, geographical, historical, linguistic, religious, or social affiliation.”

I mean, I personally disagree with this definition (religious and social affiliation as a “race” classifier? Not a chance!) but it’s one of the sources you selected. :wink: Point being that race is a pretty gray area. The takeaway, though, is that race is a subclassifier of species.

1 Like

http://www.aaanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm

4 Likes

Love it. For the TL;DR crowd: “Race classification is useless and has caused more harm than good in the world.”

Perhaps ethnicity is the proper term here.

Half wizard
Half super saiyan

1 Like

My racial composition is perfect for me as, I’m certain, yours is for you. Now you know! :slight_smile:

Well…

My Nationalities are:

Irish, French, American Indian, and English…

Wait… Scratch that.

I’m AMERICAN!

This part is also crucial:

From its inception, this modern concept of “race” was modeled after an ancient theorem of the Great Chain of Being, which posited natural categories on a hierarchy established by God or nature. Thus “race” was a mode of classification linked specifically to peoples in the colonial situation. It subsumed a growing ideology of inequality devised to rationalize European attitudes and treatment of the conquered and enslaved peoples. Proponents of slavery in particular during the 19th century used “race” to justify the retention of slavery. The ideology magnified the differences among Europeans, Africans, and Indians, established a rigid hierarchy of socially exclusive categories underscored and bolstered unequal rank and status differences, and provided the rationalization that the inequality was natural or God-given.

It’s important to point out too, though, that although “race” is a social fiction, it is a powerful one that has real effects in the world.

When I teach about how race works I like to show this video, which captures pretty well how arbitrary physical differences can become the basis for discrimination and then be made to manifest as a measurable difference in ability/achievement:

3 Likes

You are wise beyond your years my friend!!!

100% pure A-grade Asian.
South Korean.