Yo-yo Enthusiasts Against Racism

[ Before anyone asks, I have already talked with Andre about starting a discussion about antiracism on the forum, and he has given the okay. I would not be posting this if I did not get permission first. ]

In response to some recent problematic events, I think we are long overdue for a much needed discussion about antiracism. To be clear, this topic will not be the place for outing and bashing any racists we may encounter in the community. The goal will be to educate people on what it actually means to be actively opposed to the ugliness of racism.

Now if you are unfamiliar with antiracism, here are some books from my collection that I highly recommend:

(If you have any other antiracist books that you would recommend, please share them.)

Also, if people discussing antiracism triggers you in any way, I kindly suggest you take a long look in the mirror and figure out why that is. Please don’t pollute this discussion with any divisive or antagonistic nonsense. I do not want this topic to get derailed and locked. Thanks.

26 Likes

Something that helped a lot of stuff click for me was a book called The possessive investment in whiteness - mostly arguing that there’s so much baked in, long-term investment in whiteness that the only option is to be actively anti-racist. Otherwise you’re perpetuating a situation built on and steeped in racism.

Haven’t reread the book since I was a teenager but the framing did a lot make things click.

9 Likes

Thank you for the book suggestion. After reading the reviews, I will be ordering a copy and adding it to my never-ending book pile. :+1:

6 Likes

Yo! Thank you for doing this. Are there any quick bullet points for those of us who haven’t got time to read books at the moment? I am wicked interested in learning more but rarely have time to commit to reading, between raising two toddlers and work.

I like to think I’m anti racist but I also know that a lot of racist stuff goes right in front of our faces and we miss it, as we’ve been steeped in it. It’s what our country was founded on and the basis of most of our laws, after all, from what I understand at least.

9 Likes

Thanks to start discussion.

I know only reflect love they will show themselves then you know when time one own being is welcome and or not.

Its your choice to stay when they said no just do not reflect the feeling your problem solved.

2 Likes

I love Discussion!!!

Can we start by setting common baselines?

What is Racism?

8 Likes

I think you said on IG that you had stickers coming? Let me know when you do!

I’ve tossed a few of your recommended books on my Library Holds. Excited for them to come in.

There’s been a few bad eggs brought to light in the community recently, and not enough done by brands to publicly discourage this kind of thing. It seems things happen, get brushed under the rug, and eventually forgotten.

The yo-yo community should be a safe place for all.

5 Likes

I’m just chiming in to say that I have ‘allowed’ this discussion right now on the forum. While people can have an opinion and argue that this forum should be a place to stay on topic which is yo-yos and avoid discussing hot topics like this - in this current moment in time - they reached out to me and I am allowing it but will be monitoring it.

It is in the unrelated discussion and for those that find it helpful to take part in this discussion please do. But otherwise please keep your comments to yourself and move on.

Thanks.

35 Likes

Why is there Racism? Great Question.

Racism in MORE than Black and White. That is why I have asked for a base line definition for everyone to stay on track.

“What is Racism?”

I feel we need this guideline to keep this sensitive and potentially volatile topic on track.

It shouldnt be about pointing fingers but working towards that first question.

There is huge potential in this topic for growth and ultimately making Progress towards the topic of this thread.

6 Likes

im gonna be honest. its disappointing that a post asking to combat bigotry ended up self destructing so soon. with that said, my definition of racism is any sort of language or action that takes a stance, intentional or unintentional, that is harmful or biased in terms of race and ethnicity. an example may include such things as the recent yyf controversy, “wow, _______s are so smart/ethical/diligent/etc.” type comments, profiling, unwanted singling out, certain dogwhistles, and general buttholery. please note that this list is not complete. furthermore, i would like to add that almost everyone, especially in non-diverse countries or locations, has absorbed some sort of racist or bigoted ideas or attitudes that take active work to grow out of. i would also like to propose a rule for this discussion. if you are called racist, do bot blow up or deny it, but ask for clarification. that way, we can keep things civil and perhaps even learn more about our preconceived ideas and biases.

2 Likes

also, please try not to be reactionary or inflammatory, it just makes things worse for everyone and i promise you that you have better things to do that making internet randos feel kinda crummy.

Pleasant dreams may your wake up to feel my pain

I’m sure he meant nothing by deleting your post Big-O. I tried to read it and had a hard time following along as well.

I’m curious. Is English your primary language? Or do you speak other languages also?

3 Likes

Respectfully I know all languages I study the root worded etymology from the dictionary and then I have to go ahead and interpret everyone’s words if it does not match the dictionary I don’t need to talk to you so my primary language is silence

Thank you for asking I appreciate that much

7 Likes

For me, a big part of my antiracist journey was reading and learning a lot of the history lessons that were never taught to us in school. If reading isn’t an option, maybe audiobooks would be a good alternative. Many of the books in my recommended stack are available in that format. Being informed about the history of racism, and the oppressive systems that are still in place today, is a super important part of it, IMO. But it does sound like you have a basic understanding of the history, at least.

As for bullet points, antiracism is an active and conscious opposition to racism. It goes beyond just not being racist, and there is some work involved. Individually, it means pushing back when our family, friends, or coworkers say anything that is racist, regardless if it was malicious or just a joke. As a voter, it means staying informed about your elected officials and their policies. You should support the politicians who are pushing for antiracist policies, and use your voice to put pressure on those who aren’t.

Also, I know that time is an issue for you with a job and two toddlers. I get it. But if you can find the free time, see if there is a Standing Up for Racial Justice (SURJ) chapter in your area, and if there is, see how you can offer your support. They often need help with canvassing and phone banking, and their work does have a positive impact in the communities they operate in.

8 Likes

What is racism? I think they Oxford Dictionary definition works best:

“prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.”

I also personally define racism as prejudice plus power. If you are the part of the dominant majority group, you can still be the victim of prejudice. But in order for it to cross the line to racism, it needs to be backed up by institutional power.

4 Likes

Yes, I put in an order for Y.E.A.R. stickers a few days ago, and they should be here by the end of the week. I will make sure to let people know when they are available, and will probably post an announcement in this topic. There will also be a bunch of them getting shared at Worlds in a few weeks. And if there is enough interest, which is looking likely, I will be printing more of them in the future.

As for your last sentence, we are 100% in agreement there. The yo-yo community is a global melting pot of people from all walks of life, and it needs to be inclusive by default.

4 Likes

Honestly, it didn’t really self-destruct all that bad. As was mentioned earlier, I just removed more or less confusing wording.

I have to compliment the posts that have been made here. Compared to what else I have seen across the rest of the internet, this is one of the more respectful conversations, and I am thankful for the community here for that.

15 Likes

My dad married into an old Missouri farm family, I will, and have, had to leave family events when slurs start getting flung. It’s crazy how they try to justify it when you tell them they sound stupid. But now, at least when I’m around, they refrain from showing their racist side. I know they are still racist, but I like to think they are afraid to be racist around me, and I see it as a step in The right direction.

I want racists afraid to be racist.

Now I need to educate myself more on the WHY of it all, so next time it comes up, I can tell them why they sound stupid.

Being in smalltown, Missouri, I’d be very surprised to find any kind of SURJ chapter or anything like it, but I will definitely look into it.

Again, thank you for doing this. Im definitely interested in some stickers when they come in.

7 Likes

personal letter Respectful customer is undermined made instead uncomfortable for other must remain silent.

heartfelt questions meant to reflection and discussion.

speculating as to the exact and correct meaning

You need to learn to apology

I do not argue.
I post youtube.

They can rave all they want there.

1 Like