Yo-yo Enthusiasts Against Racism

I don’t know what’s up here but let’s keep this on topic and anything direct and personal can go to direct messages.

6 Likes

Something that I caught myself doing a long while back with a coworker was completing their sentences. English was their third language and sometimes they would hit a word or term that didn’t translate and I would hop in like I was saving the day to come up with the right word.

What I didn’t realize was I was undermining him and hurting his pride every time I did that. It took a fair bit of effort to stop responding like that and allow him to articulate what he was saying in his own unless he requested help finding the word to use.

This isn’t direct racism however it was a micro transgression. The man is significantly more educated and smarter than I am and here I was trying to complete his sentences for him as if I grasp English better on some fundamental level when I only know one language and let’s be real I failed English at least once in high school.

This is just an example of self reflecting and realizing your words and actions may come across with unattended meaning to others and reflecting on what your doing and how it can be interpreted can help everyone feel better and interact better in a group.

8 Likes

PTA MEETING
Only cause i am aged to have grandchild…

When i am done with these two
My fee to time not paid for…

I ask you start with this.

In So You Want to Talk About Race, Ijeoma Oluo guides readers of all races through subjects ranging from police brutality and cultural appropriation to the model minority myth in an attempt to make the seemingly impossible possible: honest conversations about race, and about how racism infects every aspect of American life.

When i am done i will ask for you come on my youtube then post my review.

I met you in the middle no promise
Protests against racial injustice and white supremacy have galvanized millions around the world. The stakes for transformative conversations about race could not be higher. Still, the task ahead seems daunting, and it’s hard to know where to start. How do you tell your boss her jokes are racist? Why did your sister-in-law hang up on you when you had questions about police reform? How do you explain white privilege to your white, privileged friend?

For the youtube on subject from voice herself.

Okay going to leave it here.
Now it up to you do your part.

2 Likes

Can we expand on this more? I am struggling to rationalize the institutional power portion of this.

I dont think “Power” is needed for the racism to exsist.

I agree with this; “If you are the part of the dominant majority group, you can still be the victim of prejudice.”

My example; I am White

I went to Louisiana for a Military Retirement of my Father from the Navy.

We got in late at night to the town, we were hungry from the travel.

This towns population was predominantly dark complexion. As we walked to the gas station to get food, the hatred on the peoples faces around the gas station could be Felt.

The disgust was thick.

“Hey guys, whats going on?”

Confusion was the next look on their face. Apparently I have a accent, Especially in this area.

“Where are you from?” - California

“Why are you here?” - We just flew in for a retirement at the base. We are hungry, was going to pick up some bread, peanutbutter and jelly to make some samwiches.

“Ah, Naw Man. I will be right back.” - One guy walks off as we start talking with the group.

A short wile later he comes back with Paper plates full of food. “Moms had left over fried chicken and fixings.”

Southern Hospitality at its finest.

However, the Key was it started off Racist towards me. Why? Culture? Experience?

Why did a potential bad situation turn into a positive?

People being open to talk. Mutual respect at a “Human Level”?

Apparently our skin color DIDNT matter. We were invited to the towns high school football game the next night.

The situation was very similar; Why are there white people here? Oh they are cool!

9 Likes

So I’ll preface this by saying that I am in no way an expert in this topic but have spent some time learning about it in my professional and personal capacity. These questions about the institutional nature of racism are very important and hard to understand intuitively due to the way that many people first learn about racism in the U.S., which is as simply a matter of personal belief or prejudice - “racism” in this framework is a matter of your personal opinion or actions towards people of another race. This fits very well into the mindset of independence and personal responsibility that many people hold dear in our country.

For sure, this is an important aspect of understanding racism and is the one easiest to point out and condemn, for example when a person uses a slur against another person. But, these personal beliefs and opinions don’t come from nowhere. They are usually created by and reinforced by institutions that benefit from them, whether that is a family unit, political party, business, or the government itself. We can see this in the history of the U.S.A.

Sometimes, these institutions formally and explicitly endorse racism - such as in the case of formal slavery in the U.S. and Jim Crow laws. As time went on, of course, these institutions were formally abolished and most people today would probably say that they oppose racism - which is good! However, in order to effectively do so, we must also acknowledge that the impact of these policies have historically not been corrected. Reconstruction in the South ended earlier than many would have liked, and even after Jim Crow laws were abolished our institutions did not usually make efforts to correct the racism of the past, so this racism still effects people today, whether in the form of hiring practices, school equity, gentrification or other areas. For more detailed examples of this, heavier reading is probably better than what I can lay out here.

This is why anti-racism is important. One does not have to personally be racist to be affected by the racist policies of the past and present. Oftentimes, those who participate in these systems are not aware of how they might disproportionately affect people of different races. This does not make a person inherently “bad” or mean that they personally hold racist views against another person. If they do hold such views, they might not be personally aware of it, or be aware of how they formed these views. This is why understanding these matters is important, so we can uncover our own biases and strive to create a better world for everyone. This is why anti-racists also often highlight institutional racism, because it is institutions that have the most effect on people’s lives and changing these institutions is important to achieving a more equal society. If you are a member of a majority group, and someone makes a hurtful comment towards you in the basis of race, this is wrong. But we should also realize that it is not as likely to affect your daily quality of living - your job, where you are able to live, what kinds of food you are able to access - as those who suffer more institutionalized aspects of racism. Those who are marginalized by society are impacted in these ways, and that is why I think some people focus more on the institutional impact of racism rather than the personal, because it is where the most improvement remains to be made.

5 Likes

I would like to add the book Fault Lines by Voddie Baucham to the reading list.

2 Likes

I encourage quality for statement again you made yourself heard and been edit… You should be…

Let others speak on the suggestion books and make to point that heals your internal argument.
Thank for sharing that part.

I do not know you but you used this platform i going through PTSD so yes you gaslighted me that i had to question your own personal trats.

I keep it simple when USA force treaty to be signed it is a war crime.
When i have speak in the real world its the bible…

So of course many will not know what iam saying unless i reply.

For what most part everyone i listen took my time with out my fee.

You caused me mental duress that is tort the white privilege is the platform that you used yes that is white privilege.

All else what are your personal trat to use yourself to be opinions to be Authority you lost that when i started listing to others life experience and you edit my own the abuse stop
You caused tort.

Used puncher thread for others to start where i am currently reading.

Voddie Baucham Fault line Video Series
YouTube · Seek things above TV
Mar 28, 2023

Thank you for your reply.

Jdrabik’s post was amazing.

While we may disagree, due to our life experiences. That is OK.

It is having these conversations about difficult issues that really open the door for learning and growth.

For me these things answer some of the “Why’s” for this to continue.

I apologize if you feel like I “Gas Lighted” you. That was never my intention.

I hope you can find some peace and grace with this apology.

3 Likes

Oh no worries i was using your point yet i am referring towards Profile - ThrowHeat - YoYoExpert Forums

So forgive me most part it is thank you at pun1sh3r for sharing.

It on others to learn to apology

You talking about the south…

I have to play with ex neo nazi and kkk.
Easy for some i see the tats. The smart one no ink on body to such not seen.
The blacks again they did what Profile - ThrowHeat - YoYoExpert Forums
Needs to learn your opinion only value on trat…

All else realistically is a Jehovah Witness knocking on my door soliciting the Bible and they don’t even know what they speak

Honestly this doesn’t sound like racism toward you, although I can understand the feeling.

A lot of communities are distrustful of strangers, and that is what you were. They were curious about you, approached you, fed you, and invited you out to have a good time. That’s like, the opposite of racism.

It isn’t racist to distrust someone new, especially when life experience has taught you to be distrustful. Racism is blindly and blankedly making assumptions about people, and not being open to opening up to them. These people displayed a level of hospitality that honestly should be commended.

6 Likes

I would say check the video…

Other members suggested and your words hit scars i am aware…

I am grateful for other suggest i feel that your Point to view is appreciated. What can you too refer…

How do you all let that energy clean out the hate that ancestors make you feel my hate right now…

I enjoyed most anti racism is racism…
Video word not my own…

Thanks for suggestion
When he talks about tone i say its more like they do not like the mirror i was saying yet he says clearly to be accepted…

If i continue i feel that someone benefit on this total post is again help me write my essay for my master phd degree.
How i feel
I can thank you later…

Going over the video brought me to my dictionary i have to share…

Went to church on my sabith day my study is said

In video he note 1619…

I share Isaiah 61

Here we go…

8 Likes

It was an honest question to a statement made. But if this was the feeling it gave off, I’ll go ahead and delete it

1 Like

It came off a little personalized, but I agree with you. I don’t think “power” has anything to do with it.

4 Likes

Is this what you trying to say…

Private thought then wanted to delete his post.

Now i am the third wheel it sound like A b conversation so i c my why out…

The quote Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely” is attributed to 19th century British politician and writer Lord Acton. In 1887, Acton wrote to Bishop Creighton that the same moral standards should apply to everyone, including political and religious leaders, because of this quote. Evidence of this idea can be found throughout history, from ancient civilizations to modern politics, business, and entertainment.

1 Like

Yea wasn’t meant to be but I can see how it could have been construed that way - hence why I deleted it.

Before anyone makes assumptions this wasn’t anything bad or racist or inflammatory but worded wrong and could derail the conversation which was not the point. But geared toward open and honest discussion and in an effort to keep it that way. I deleted it

2 Likes

I was trying to lighten this up a bit. Sorry if people thought I was being too serious.

Please feel free to un-delete. I was in no way targeting your post other than to point out it was… well, going down the rabbit hole. Maybe I should delete?

1 Like

No worries my friend.

I don’t wanna rabbit hole this so I’ll keep it deleted. And add my own little boost to lighten it up too

4 Likes

Honest said more then what the poster could say.

He playing politics and in real life treat him like the deaf would hate when they speaking in sign language and you then turn your back that is to say it disregards them to much say the user to hand gesture can only speak you can type.

Poster only piss me off and being edited with out anyone to ask what do i mean us the same.

So yeah i really want to show how much i can leave him in that void that power when he and the white privilege user apology.

Going over and over many speaker say one thing clear…

People like the poster may is uncover racist.

So in real world he had no power to even make address.

Did not sound at all like Asian boss so no you fine no need to apology

I said it and i ment it

We can go on and on as to such that why it is call gaslighting when i get to my point they caused tort.
And can not even accept they too are in wrong to edit discussion they started.

Again you are fine.

Truly i can say what i mean…

I do not trust when i feel your hurt.

1 Like

Wow it took me literally hours to unpack this acronym.

Also, that is an awesome acronym.

6 Likes