What Yo-Yo should I get, any ideas? :S

They are VERY different. Other than they are both YYF, they are very different.

dv888 is undersized, metal, CAN grind(ain’t great at it, but can do it) and is kind of light to me. It ships with a flat bearing. It’s smooth and stable, but being smaller, well, I just like bigger.

The Protostar, while at 67 grams, is a nice weight, plays great, super stable, but the smooth surfaces mean it can’t grind good. The size is fullsized range. It also includes a center track bearing if you’re into that. I think it’s a good match.

These are just completely different yoyos. It’s not possible to say which one is overall better, because preferences play a major factor here. It’s not a like to like comparison.

I have both. I choose the Protostar over the dv888. Why? I tend to prefer the upper end of the full sized range, and stuff 67 grams and up. And I choose the Northstar over the Protostar, and I have one of those too. So all I can say is MY preferences.

I know people who hate the dv888. I know people who dislike the Protostar.

If you were to say “which is better overall, the Protostar or the Norhtstar”, now you’re getting into almost identical yoyos. Some people say the protostar feels a bit hollow compared to the Northstar. I don’t agree. It just performs different. I only choose the Northstar because I like the weight better. The Protostar plays a bit faster than the Northstar as well. But you didn’t, you said dv888 and Protostar, and which is best overall.

If we want to get kinda “technical”, the Protostar is the better value. It plays like a metal but at a plastic price. The weight ring, which IS metal, really helps it perform as good as it does and helps keep it stable. The center track keeps the string away from the sides if you have a good throw. It’s also a full $10 less than the dv888, so that let’s you use the cost/value angle.

But, the dv888 is also solid and pocket-friendly, which has advantages as well. It’s a great priced metal. It’s great as a first metal, next metal or just another metal to have. It’s fun, it’s affordable, it’s metal. I can’t speak for the other colors but the aqua looks really pretty under the sunlight.

Am I adding to the confusion?

I am glad I have those three models a lot. But, knowing now what I know, and since I’m currently not into grinding(because I haven’t learned it yet), I’d have to say the protostar might be the “overall better”. Price and value. A very cold way to make a decision. I think you get more yoyo for your money with the Protostar.

1 Like

I truly Thank everyone :D… I think I will get a Yo Yo Fac Protostar then!.. THANKS AGAIN! :smiley:

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :smiley: you have helped me in unbelievable levels, I’ll buy a Protostar then! :smiley:

Have you had a look at the Shinwoo line? There is some good value in those.

You’re most certainly welcome. I’m happy to be able to provide assistance.

Re-visit this thread when you get your Protostar. I’m interested to hear your impression.

Think about the g-funk dv888 or somethin’ in that area. Also think about getting a centertrak or a 10 ball baring. That will really help the spin times and increase the spin.