What was your first non-budget metal?

Well I could easily name a yoyo that half the forum will say, “That’s a budget metal, dude.” even though I might consider it a non-budget yoyo. :man_shrugging:

It really depends on the time frame. Top of the line Dif-e-yos were in the $75-$85 range way back when. I believe I paid $80 or $90 for the Fluchs in the same time period. Those were about the most expensive yoyos available at the time.

4 Likes

Okay, well, when I bought my first metal yoyos last Fall, it seemed like the Shutter was considered a budget metal throw at $45. That being the case, I’d say that my first non-budget metal (purchased at the same time as the Shutter) was: a YYF Edge (1.5).

3 Likes

Mine was a second hand Luchador back in 09. Still one of my favorite throws. I keep it on my bedside table.

2 Likes

There you go! That’s it! You did it! I’m proud of you @zslane.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

First non-budget for me was a CLYW Arctic Circle

3 Likes

I just discovered this one too and I’ve already decided I need one for every day of the week :star_struck:

Before the Boa the most I’ve spent was on a Recess Komodo and I think that was like a week before. So within a week (give or take) the two throws I’ve spent the most on and they’re both reptile related :yum: LOL.

[Edit] You know another post reminded me something I completely forgot about, probably because I don’t like remembering, my very first premium metal throw as a teenager was a Dif-e-yo Wide Load. I was never so excited about a new yoyo up to that point and I left it in Tokyo from a family trip, ahhhhhh :sob:

3 Likes

CLYW Manatee :whale2:

2 Likes

YYF Nightmare. One of the best playing bimetals i’ve tried. I still have it and it’s still in great shape.

9 Likes

Spin Dynamics Nickel Plated OG Flow…still love that yoyo!

1 Like

I went and looked up my first YYE purchase in my YYE account … :rofl: it was a matte red Draupnir, Oct 20, 2017. Order #20199074

12 Likes

A Groovy Black Werrd TFL88

4 Likes

Mine was a YYF nightmare too! Stripped the axle treads long ago😥. Still think about it sometimes though!

6 Likes

At the time (2011?) it may have been my RecRev Fig4 (Which all along I thought was a No.9 until recently when I found out that the 9 is slightly larger). I got it at a budget metal price but it felt like a premium throw compared to what I was learning on - my Yomega Maverick, Metal Drifter and Pocket Pros Zombie. I still have my Fig4. It has had a ton of mileage as I would grind through the trick list. As you can tell, I have a soft spot for it.

My first “Triple Digit” throw…I believe it was my YYJ H3X, also my first bimetal! Also learned a lot with this throw.

5 Likes

Where’s the line at? Is it $50? My first $50 throw was the SK from the OD site. First $60 is the par avion from here, first $70+ (and only for now, except for a used dang2 on the way right now) is the Float, from here. I got yye’s last float :). Bought them all February/March. Lol.
Edited to add the pick of the float :wink:

5 Likes

My first metal was a custom axl elite, at least it seemed expensive at the time. When I got back into the hobby late last year my first bimetal was the Edge Beyond. Also, a YYJ Bill de Boisblanc freestyle was my first hybrid.

7 Likes

That’s awesome. I have my TBB and Turbo still too (glow in the dark for the win) and came back and just started snatching stuff up :joy:

2 Likes

still did not buy one.

1 Like

I got a OD Prescription, OD Terrarian, and CLYW Manatee for Christmas two years ago. I still have them and I don’t play with them as often as I should. I still like the OD throws, but, now that my taste in yoyos has changed, I don’t really throw the Manatee that much at all. I still think it’s a great yoyo, it’s just a little wide for me.

4 Likes

Have a hard time calling the YYJ B de B a hybrid. It’s a just plastic yoyo with a metal weight ring. Not much different than the custom axl elite, a Duncan FH2 or a Spintastic yoyo with a fat rubber o-ring. Let’s not embellish things… :wink:

3 Likes