What was your first non-budget metal?

There’s a topic for first budget metal, so why not :man_shrugging:t2:

Mine was a brand new Top Deck right here from YYE. I snagged the very last unengraved solid black one.

… and yes, it blew my n00b mind…

EDIT: How did you end up liking it in the long run? Did you keep it? Did it live up to the hype?

7 Likes

Mine was the bassalope… my 12 year old hands were definitely not ready for it, but I’m glad I got it because it is one of my favorites now

7 Likes

Werrd Tre 2k15

2 Likes

*Googles One Drop Turntable…

Did you mean Yoyofactory?

3 Likes

YYF Horizon Ultra! One of my smoothest throws till this day.

4 Likes

YYF Edge for me. I started out with a Canon and almost immediately checked out the Edge. It was definitely an upgrade, and to this day I underrate it because I bought the red/blue halfswap, and for some reason it always put me off.

My true first non budget love (2nd non budget yoyo) was the 2sick Promotion, and I’m still blown away by it. It surprises me that basically nobody talks about this amazing yoyo. It plays light and nimble, is extremely stable but not rigid, and just feels like class.

5 Likes

Mine was the YYF Edge. The only problem was always afraid to throw it anywhere. I felt like it was too good and I would damage it. Looking back I wasted alot of opportunity with it.

3 Likes

February last year I purchased a second hand Smashing Yoyos Interlagos. First new non budget yoyo I purchased was Onedrop Benchmark O 2016 which is still one of my favourite yoyos :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was the same way with my Top Deck lol. I eventually started using it over harder less forgiving surfaces and one night I was using it to test a new string recipe in the garage, when I beefed a bind and heard a shrill PINGGGG. My heart stopped and I was devastated for the rest of the night.

1. I never replicated that string recipe (it was cursed lol)
  2. I finally felt comfortable making it one of my daily carries

Damaging it ended up being a huge relief. And the ding didn’t even penetrate the ano, just left two scuffed flat spots.

5 Likes

My profile picture-a black 2018 G2 Banshee

3 Likes

I played a Playmaxx Turbo Bumble Bee, GT and Tornado as my main yoyos for over a decade, then when I discovered the “current” yoyos that were used I bought a CLYW Puffin, then literally tracked down every One Drop within the next few weeks :rofl: Figured out shapes that I liked based on that.

3 Likes

Nice :sunglasses:

Pretty fresh to the modern throw game, first mono was/is the Retic Boa. LOVE IT!

10 Likes

The atlas as that was back when I was like “wow this was used to win the world yoyo contest, this will now make me the best ever!” Now I’m like, “everyone has their own taste, mine is the terrarian which somehow I prefer over the beyond (my secondary)”

3 Likes

First metal was the general yo Hatrick in like 2010ish

1 Like

Higby flamed all blue BapeZilla.

5 Likes

I’m still pretty new so I’m still not comfortable with paying over $50 for a throw. It was pretty incredible when I got my 2016 One Drop Benchmark. First big boy yoyo for me. Still my favorite. To my very new mind, anything over 40 starts getting past budget. It’ll be interesting to see if that changes by next year. This comment will be here to chronicle my descent into madness. Seeing all your fancy super yo-yos makes me wanna try them all.

4 Likes

Anti-Yo Fluchs

size-matters2

5 Likes

What price point constitutes “non-budget”? Or is it merely what I consider non-budget?

5 Likes

Here we go lol. @zslane with the technicalities

2 Likes