What trick are you working on?

I love the 650b, Deep State, and the Weekender. All kina similar. However the weekender is little and wider like a wooden fixed axle. But for me I don’t any other serious responsives. I have the Dark Magic 2 one is responsive and one unresponsive. I’m not sure I would get a slimline responsive right off the bat unless the “modern responsive” approach is what your looking for. I think the more “normal” sized responsive may be more helpful.

Edit: I’m a fan of the Replay and Freehand.
Edit: I don’t have any experience with the Neo but it looks good.

1 Like

I just learned Mondial, did you ever get it down?

2 Likes

I had the same problem when learning Kwyjibo, always landed on multiple strings. Concentrate on undercutting the yo-yo with the tip of your index finger, and you might need to work the strings back toward your knuckles, which is a skill that takes a lot of time and is often overlooked, and just practice practice practice. It gets really easy with a little time. You also want the pop to be really consistent which helps with the catch.

2 Likes

No, not yet. I have a plan though…

One thing I find frustrating about YouTube is that you can’t scrub through a video frame-by-frame. Sometimes I really need to see what’s going on at 1/24th of a second increments because of how fast things are moving.

4 Likes

I’ve downloaded YouTube videos just to scrub through them. You going to do something like that?

So what’s happening when you land the yo-yo? I did the same thing as Durfee and can’t figure out what could be going wrong.

2 Likes

I am going to have my GF take a hold of the yoyo while it is in the Mach 5 position (and bringing it to a stop), then have her slowly lift it straight up into the “pop” position, and then have her slowly bring it back down while I uncross my hands and try to see what I need to do in order to land it back in the split bottom mount. This gives me the opportunity to examine the positioning of everything–yoyo, strings, hands–in as much detail as I need, and with everything frozen in space as necessary.

4 Likes

You talking about pop n fresh? When you pop up cross your Non throw hand over your throw hand not under. If that helps. I messed that one up until i realized i was crossing my hands wrong

3 Likes

Mondial

2 Likes

Gotchya my bad!

3 Likes

working on a combo that involves the string going through my hoodie pocket

4 Likes

Thank you.
Yeah I think I’m going to stay away from slimline for now as learning modern responsive isn’t exactly what I’m looking for right now. Just something that will help me learn to smooth out my tricks and control better.

2 Likes

Thanks Ryan, I’m going to keep practicing.

3 Likes

I’ve also found Eli Hops is a great foundation for Kwijibo

6 Likes

Noel Kunz taught me how to do my Eli hops really well and my kwyjibo got more consistant for sure.

6 Likes

Brent Stole. Gonna be a while.

5 Likes

2.5 beef hook

4 Likes

Okay, finally landed Mondial.

@shatterFX gave me an invaluable tip, and with my GF’s help I was able to slow the trick down and figure out exactly what I needed to do. Success!

7 Likes

Awesome! Glad my video helped!

3 Likes

Just spent the last 7 hours practising one trick, Kwyjibo, doing nothing else other than occasionally replying to posts here :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

So Mondial is a trick that you can just continuously cycle, right?

I can’t seem to do two in a row (off the same throw). For one thing, the string is no longer forward of the TH index finger after the first iteration.

Edit: I guess you can flow it continously, but you add a string wrap around the TH index finger with each iteration.

3 Likes