What trick are you working on?

Continuing to “do my own thing” and so far I’m actually pretty pleased with what my approach has been. I decided 2 weeks ago to stop learning tricks as a whole. Instead I’ve just been watching videos, looking at #trickcircles on Instagram, and taking some tutorials and picking out some elements that look cool, that I can play around with.

Basically, I’ve just been trying to get that one little spark and go from there. And this happened after watching the opening move Luis Enrique of YYF did on his WYYC 2015 finals routine (by accident, clip is on instagram)

Borrowed from the very first move Luis did in this routine:

I’m still in the experimental phase to see where this could fit in or what I can do with this.

1:44 - 1:52

AG, run with this new approach for as long as it makes you happy! But if one day you’re frustrated and think, “I just want to learn someone else’s complete trick” (be it a classic or something newer), allow yourself to do it. :wink: Do whatever is fun. Right now it seems like finding elements and making your own stuff is fun! And maybe it will forever be that way. :slight_smile:

Trying to learn Candy Rain

Also learning Candy Rain, the Magic Drop that is used in one of the tutorials I’ve been following seems much easier than a normal magic drop.

But I learned this unnamed trick last night from a friend, now working on getting it smoother and getting that slack to whip around and catch it rather than me having to stop and grab that string segment.

Been working on making a combo that flows together…
What to you guys think?

Definitely flows together. Nice work!

Thanks Greg, its the one thing I been working on all month long. I know I have only been yoyoing for 6 months, but I figured id try to get a head start on making up my own combos and all.

Learning Breath…I’m 1/4 there. I’ve reached the first slack and get it inconsistently right now, but I’ll get better.

Trying to incorporate more flashy tricks into some of the trick lines I do. Right now working on getting Jade and Iron whips more consistent

Whips! Any whip or slack I’m terrible at lol if the trick has one of these elements i have epic fails at that point but in the words of Joe Dirt “keep on keepin’ on” sorry had to go there. I can do jade whip consistently but that’s about the only one.

Enigma remix. Sooooo hard.

Not sure if one already did this or not but I kind of thought of this in my head when waiting for something at work to finish up…The idea of…What if I took that last “suicide-like” move in Branding and incorporated that in a Magic Drop. Voila, it worked and…we have what I call a “Magic Suicide.” It’s really rough right now so I’m trying to smooth out this slick-looking element so I can incorporate it into a little routine I’m throwing together for fun.

Paul Kerbel’s PAOBRS. I haven’t attempted it yet, but maybe “I just studied the tutorial” counts as “working on”. Doesn’t look too challenging but it looks rad as heck.

Going to go give it my first attempt right this instant.

[edit: yup, trickier than it looks. Can’t seem to invert without losing the yoyo!]

That looks awesome! Gonna now try my hand at this. I can guarantee it will take a few runs before I “get it” but I watched it about 3 times now to get a good feel of what’s going on.

darn h2o. You’ve gotten so much smoother than the last time I saw you play. Keep the progression up.

1 Like

I was also toying with a little routine, finding that next element to throw in. After watching ThinkH2O do his flowy combo I decided it’s time to take what I know and just try something…and listening to music helps you just “let it go.”

Of course (insert scratched record sound), I bombed my little groove when I tried to spontaneously throw in a Magic Drop. Thoughts on what I have so far?

And update with Kerbel’s nifty trick…I couldn’t quite get it the way he did, gonna take some more watching closely as he doesn’t really explain, so I stumbled upon an alternate which does the same thing.

Pretty cool there, AG!

I got the Kerbel’s trick, super-sloppy once. The way I was holding it, the loose string segment that allows the side-to-side movement tightened up, thereby ending the trick a bit early. Haha!

Trying to work on my chopstick game. One of my favourite elements but I’m nowhere near as good at it as I would like to be. :-X

Yeah, I was trying to learn Augie’s “Dominos” for chopsticks practice, but I failed out so hard, time and time again, that I accidentally forgot to keep practicing it. Haha!