What throw is overrated/you just don't like, in your opinion?

Grasshopper gtx destroys all lmao

2 Likes

Welcome to an internet forum my guy.

1 Like

This one is like a cruel joke for small children who want to grasp a “ring”.

1 Like

Touching on @Exmime’s suggestion about a ‘Throw I Finally Came Around To’… I hated the Replay Pro for ages. It felt big, lumpy and unrefined, vibed a lot and it was really hard to get it to bind even though I tried various strings. I put it away and tried to forget about it but, weirdly, it kept calling to me such that, after a few months, I dug it out, put a string on it (one of my own poly strings) and started throwing it. Now, I won’t say it clicked immediately but somehow I began to enjoy it and when I did, I relaxed with it and then it got better and better, it stopped feeling like a potato on a string, binds were easy (I still can’t understand why I struggled with it) and I came to really like it. It’s not my favourite throw by a long way (given that I’m mainly a 0A player and favour oldskool Butterflies) but I do really like it and still throw it around occasionally.

3 Likes

Your opinions are allowed however saying that hummingbird>draupnir will start fights in the yoyo community

Geezer was saying the opposite tho

3 Likes

(This user has been censored by forum moderators)

3 Likes

Every yo-yo that is not the Good Life Mantra is overrated.

One that disappointed me recently is the Sudo. Sudo is completely whack, loves to tilt off axis any chance it gets–s/o to the creep for being similar. A solid follow up on a different end of the feel spectrum is the Chief. Every weight I’ve played, its just a rock, lifeless with a thud on the end, also susceptible to tilting off axis from regular play (Im talking that slow turn that causes you to angle your body to follow it if you wanna keep your hands parallel).

Honourable mentions to the peak and triton, both are unstable and too snappy on binds. The OG bape is also a mess, thicc axle makes it a pain to tune, slim pad recess gave it sticker-only response so it had slippy binds; there were plenty of undersize options that played waaaay better at the time (see wooly marmot series).

3 Likes

Panorama and Freehand One (Al and other versions).

Both scored absurdly well on the “yoyo of the year” vote that was on facebook, and I can’t help but not see it. Just in general I disagreed with most of the top votes. We had yoyos like the Hinemosu, Wish, JDS Shutter, Code (yoyopalace), Journey, Laevateinn (and many others) come out last year that was just, ignored or forgotten.

Everybody has their preferences, or something, but idk, I just don’t see it.

3 Likes

Hilarious thread.

6 Likes

I really wanted to like the Peregrine. I honestly did. However it just wasn’t for me. It’s like mayonnaise and I greatly prefer mustard.

1 Like

This is what I’m talking about. Even if I disagree (Peak in my heart), I appreciate when people qualify their opinions instead of just listing stuff.

2 Likes

That’s all good, but explain pls. Why?

1 Like

Okay. So… I like the Rebirth but think it IS overrated. Could be my preference for bigger and lighter yo-yos talking. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Considering it is neither light nor big, i think you hit the nail on the head lol. love my rebirth but i will say I was absolutely shocked to see so many people talking about it recently. I got it last year thinking it was something not a lot of people paid any attention to. And yea its cool but its just hard to find an unresponsive that stands out these days imo.

1 Like

I think the Deep State is, i dont wanna say overrated, just has its own feel. Its my favorite one drop but from an out of the box experience its pretty bad. I like mine nice and snappy, not scared for my life not knowing when and when it isnt going to respond.

2 Likes

I suspect a lot of yo-yos we “don’t like” just needed a different bearing, response, or a different string. I’m guilty of it, like saying a guitar is horrible because it’s out of tune. Of course the guitar may just feel way too heavy for you, or hard to play, so both things are true. I have essentially said very little in my post. Anyway, I dislike snaggy yo-yos, but I should have thinner string on hand for the situation…suddenly it’s a good player with a simple change.

5 Likes

The rebirth is a nice change of pace. For what it is, its good. Its not the best performer, but it feels good and satisfying to throw… imo.

2 Likes