Experienced these throws? Magpie, hummingbird, and/or outlier?

Has anyone here played with eather or any of these, outlier, magpie, and hummingbird? What is your honest opinion if them?

1 Like

Well, hummingbird is very bimetal, and by that I mean rim-weighted. I didn’t care too much for the magpie but the hummingbird is :heart_eyes: in my top 5 bimetals.

I ordered an Outlier but they never shipped it to me. I tried using their contact form, no response, I eventually had to submit a paypal dispute over it :frowning:

1 Like

The Hummingbird is one of my favorite bimetals as well. It is so very well behaved. It goes where I want it to with minimal effort and it spins straight and true, even with my lousy throwing technique. I recommend it very highly.

1 Like

Really??? That’s crazy, I wonder if it was of inventory??

Does the hummingbird play like anything or close to it that you can think of? Same for magpie?

I think @andy569 would have more to say about that. He has far more experience with the Hummingbird (and other yoyos in general) than I, and therefore knows better what it most closely resembles (if anything).

2 Likes

I see the Hummingbird as YYF’s attempt at making a better Draupnir. The shapes are very similar but YYF used 7068 aluminum to thin the walls to an even greater degree than that of the Draupnir. The material and the weight(Hummingbird is 2g lighter) are the two major(if you can even call them major) differences between the two. Despite this, I find that they play fairly differently. They “perform” at a similar level, but it’s two different experiences.

The Draupnir is THE competition yoyo. It will handle the most extreme of tricks with more ease than anything else, but it’s a yoyo that demands to play fast, almost like it dictates how you should play. The Kenshin and Corruption are two yoyos that come to mind that also play like this.

The Hummingbird is different in a unique way. Since it’s lighter, I feel like directional changes are even easier than with a Draupnir which makes speed play just as good if not better. However, for some reason I don’t feel like I’m being forced to go super fast like the Draupnir or the Corruption or Sengoku that I have. It’s not a cruiser by any means but I feel content going at a more medium pace with the Hummingbird, something I can’t say about some other yoyos.

I remember I bought the yoyo from William Murphy(sponsored player of 2sick), and when I told him it was 62g he was actually in shock, he thought it was 64 or 65, which was my initial impression as well. I guess in a way when you “compete” you know its a 62g yoyo but if you were just playing around you would think its 64 or 65, which is the most unique thing I’ve found about the yoyo.

I’ve been curious about how the Hummingbird would play if it had 2g of extra rim weight to match the Draupnir’s weight. I’m not sure why the Hummingbird feels less “extreme” than the Draupnir. I thought maybe its the 7068 but I have a Sengoku 7068 bimetal prototype that plays even more extreme than the Draupnir. Then I thought maybe its the weight because the Sengoku prototype I have is also the same weight as the Draupnir, but it doesn’t really make sense to me why being 2g lighter would make it more “chill.” I still don’t understand it but I sure do love it.

I didn’t talk much about the actual “performance” of the yoyo because I feel like I don’t really need to. It’s one of the best yoyos in the game and it rivals what the Draupnir is known to be, just in a pretty different way.

6 Likes

it think it’s cause the Outlier is limited to Aussies…?

I’ve owned all 3 and I still have my Hummingbird. I completely agree with Andy’s impressions. The Hummingbird is just as fast as the Draupnir, but somehow is also able to slow down and chill. As Andy said, many throws aren’t like that (Corruption, Kenshin and I would add Grasshopper X to the list of examples). It’s also more forgiving, probably due to the gap and response pads. That said, the Hummingbird is obviously a very light yoyo and reacts very sensitively to inputs as a result. This may or may not agree with you. If you like light and fast, but also versatile, the Hummingbird is in a class of its own.

The Magpie feels like a faster, but less powerful and stable Cadence to me. It’s not a bad thing, but I didn’t find it outstanding enough to keep. If you want a wide, fast, but not overly stable or powerful throw, the Magpie would be a good choice.

The Outlier played very strangely for me. I enjoy Brandon’s videos very much and I’ve made purchased based on some of his recommendations. So, I was happy to support him. The Outlier played strangely heavy and sluggish for me unless pushed. When pushed it can go fast, as Brandon demonstrates with skill far beyond my level. But, I didn’t find it enjoyable to play at all. It’s stable and powerful enough for a competition bimetal. But, the feel was very strange and speed was far from effortless. The only throw that is somewhat similar is the 2Sick Promotion. I think it will only appeal to a particular segment of throwers.

2 Likes

Saiyan, I just saw you ask for something comparable to the Hummingbird. I don’t think there is anything that has its unique mix of attributes and feel. I think for Draupnir shaped throws, another highest level recommendation would be the Atomic Crash. It’s closer to the Draupnir than the Hummingbird, but the balance, agility and feel are simply fantastic.

1 Like

The thing I like about the magpie would be its width and catchability, I was seriously considering getting the magpie, but you say it’s not stable or powerful I guess that’s out, because I like power and stability, because i am a new player, i find I like power because it helps me through the whole trick that I’m learning. So I’m guessing the hummingbird is my choice.

The Hummingbird is an excellent choice. I really don’t think you’d be disappointed with it.

As an aside, if you are looking for something even closer to a Draupnir at half the price, go in search of a G2 Elite.

1 Like

Arent the g2 elites kinda hard to find at the moment. They do look awesome

All G2 yoyos are hard to get. You’re best bet is to keep an eye out for one in the B/S/T. That’s how I got mine.

1 Like

I knew it lol, I’ll keep an eye out

Elites(and banshees and other g2s) pop up on the BST very often. It’s interesting(and kind of stupid) how they can sit on the BST for a while but if G2 is selling them they’re gone instantly. I get people want to support G2 directly but it’s a little ridiculous imo.

3 Likes

I would concur, Cadence > Magpie. Heck, for that matter, Cadence > Bliss.

I just received one of the new Cadences from YYE and I’m a little surprised that it doesn’t spin as long as my other monometals. I’m seeing a noticeably lower spin speed (compared to my other monometals) at the end of my usual practice combo, making the bind at the end a bit of a struggle.

All the reviews I’ve seen make a point of praising its long spin time, but I’m just not getting it for some reason. At first I thought maybe the stock bearing was over-lubed or something (it is very quiet), but after putting in a different (new) bearing I’m still not seeing much of an improvement, if any.

The yoyo looks and feels perfect in all other respects. Smooth as glass and quite stable.

2 Likes

I have both the Magpie and Hummingbird and I love them both. They are different beasts, so you kind of need to decide what you are looking for.

The magpie is a great throw that can do about anything you throw at it. It is nimble and has a moderate spin time, though it can sometimes be a little sharp on the catch if you get one of edges in your palm. It is wide, which I feel makes it very good for 1a. The gap is a little wide, so you will want slightly thicker strings.

The hummingbird is also nimble, but it is a bimetal and as such has bi-metal properties. It has an ample spin time and should be able to power through any of your combos with spin to spare. I find it is extremely comfortable in the hand and I gravitate towards it when I want to throw a bi-metal. I do find it could be a tad wider – I think that is my only criticism of it. It is a gem of a bi-metal throw.

3 Likes

How do you like magpie against a cadence

1 Like