Experienced these throws? Magpie, hummingbird, and/or outlier?

Hmmm interesting, how powerful and stable is the magpie, I’m hearing not very? I’m hoping it’s not exactly the case.

Wider does seem to be the trend today. I half expect us to see 60mm (diameter) x 50mm (width) x 5mm (gap) yoyos as the new competition norm by 2021.

But I tend to prefer yoyos that are on the not-so-wide side, to be honest. 43-45mm is the sweet spot for me, and the Hummingbird comes in at 42.9mm (which is 43mm for all intents and purposes), and I just love how it feels in the hand as well as on the string. In fact, I just bought a second Hummingbird because I just couldn’t pass up the lovely purple one that just came out.

3 Likes

I’ve never tried a Magpie.

1 Like

When did you get the purple? I would love to have a purple

I just ordered it this morning from Monthly Throws.

(Shout out to @Tvelto for the heads up on that.)

1 Like

So what’s the size comparison to other yoyos? Smaller, average size?

@zslane – I tend to agree re: width. I think 44 is a really good spot, but 43-45 really works totally fine.

@Saiyan_Zero I don’t think a ~64g monometal yoyo that is wide like this will ever be extremely powerful. It has plenty of spin time though and I don’t find any trouble with stability (the width helps with that). I think it is in a similar position as the ND and Cadence, so it mostly comes down to preference.

I didn’t mention, but the finish on the magpie feels silky smooth.

3 Likes

They’re both so different but my budget allows me only 1 and I need help choosing lol

Always tough to choose just one haha. I think you will be happy with whichever one you choose. The quality of the throws coming out from nearly all companies is extremely high lately. It has not been kind to my wallet.

2 Likes

I’ve never tried the Magpie, but to my mind the Hummingbird is a no-brainer winner in every way, unless you have a thing for wide yoyos. It isn’t especially narrow–I would call it “normal”–but given the trend towards ever wider yoyos, it is starting to inadvertently fall into the narrow category. Regardless, it is a tremendously good bimetal and worth its price tag, IMO.

5 Likes

@zslane @ferrocile your words have helped tremendously. I have found a seller for a hummingbird and a wolf

1 Like

Always happy to help :smile:

1 Like

One last question, if you found a used with no box, but mint hummingbird on bst, what would be a fair price??

I would think 85-90ish is a fair price if it is completely mint w/ no box.

1 Like

I see, kid wanted 110, so I’m going with the other seller. Thanks again.

Yeah, you can get a new one from Monthly throw for 110

1 Like

I’ve never had the chance to try/buy the Outlier😢

2 Likes

I have a thing to try that maybe helps this. Try a thinner string. I had some throws that had this weaker feel, and when i tried different things (like you did with the bearing), i found a thinner string increased my sleep times without having to throw any harder. It seemed to make tighter binds that allows for more energy given to the yoyo, and less “thunk” at the last part of the string on each throw like I had when i was using a fat string.

It may or may not help you, but it did me.

ps-this comment is not related to the Magpie, just some yoyos in general.

2 Likes

Totally agree, varying the string (thick, ultrathick, thin) is always worth a try. It’s kinda like tweaking the gap a bit, really!

1 Like

Something else that I, and others, have found to help is silicone response. If the response is too grabby (e.g. Snow Tires, natural colored pads), then siliconing the response (or using response pads with less friction, like YYF white) can significantly improve power and stability (less tilt from rubbing on one side of the response). I’ve found this to make a significant difference in the Manatee, Stale Bread and Lust.