What’s your favorite looping yoyo?

Recently I’ve been thinking about picking up a looper. Seeing people loop around and shoot the moon on these thin plastic yo-yos looks like a lot of fun. Of course there’s the highly regarded Loop 720, but I’m curious, what is everyone’s favorite?

1 Like

This is my list from cheaper to high priced that I’ve tried and owned.

• Blitz Ball
  • Pulse
  • Hornets
  • Loop 720 (JP Version)
  • Initiators
  • Loop Up

If I choose one for my favorite it would be the blitz ball

5 Likes
  • Duncan Pulse - Best light up looping yoyo so far
  • Oracle yoyos - Good for a beginner and for getting consistent loops, Use thicker string like kitty fat.
  • Match - Loop 720 but with larger bearing
  • C3 Initiators - Great for 2a if you are looking for something different. Some people prefer the Initiators because the loops are more stable.
  • Sochi 2a Looping yoyo.

So far the Sochi Loopers work the best for my 2a

If you get the Sochi Loopers I wouldn’t recommend spending extra on the light up version since it only has lights on one side and unbalances the yoyo.

4 Likes

Currently, Blitzball.

The price to feature ratio is unbeatable. It comes with spacers/shims (depending on where you got it) so it is adjustable without having to buy extra components separately nor mod it. They are easy to setup and are consistent one another so I can just buy multiple (for contests) and have the same setup every time. The cap is easy to pop with suction caps so switching colors is also easy.

Maybe the only downside I can think of is they come with unshielded bearings that doesn’t contain lube very well.

A close second would be Surges, someone said they come with shims, but mine wasn’t. They cost about the same as Blitz, but play a bit more solid (loops slightly more upward) with the same response setting. Surges plays closer to a 720.

5 Likes

Dang, it really seems like blitz balls are great. I see so many people using them now.

I really wish the 720 shipped with an additional blue spacer, or offered different stock setups out of the box. That’s like my singular gripe with 720s.

3 Likes

This is a great thread. I’ve been wondering which one of these newer loopers was good.

What about string for loopers? Any preference?

4 Likes

I was heavily debating the Blitz Ball, but now I’m sort of on the fence. It’s funny, originally I was drawn to looping because of the apparent simplicity of it, but as I research deeper it seems like anything but.

Edit: Just saw the Blitz Ball takes loop720 bearings. If the 720 has shielded bearings maybe I’ll give that swap a try.

3 Likes

I’ve been throwing OTS normal, OTS thin, and Mugen. I think my preference of those is the OTS normal, but I think that’s mostly because I use it on 0A throws too so it’s the most familiar.

2 Likes

I’m throwing Loop 720s with the Sunrise kit, which I believe is the same configuration as the Match (B bearing Loop 720). I really like them. I don’t feel a ton of difference from the JP style Loop 720s.

I kind of want to try a pair of Hornets but I wonder if it’s better to just play a consistent set of throws for 2A since consistency is key.

1 Like

Most modern looping yoyos can fit size K (mighty flea) or E (raider) bearings but these two kinds of sizes have different width specs. Overall they are compatible and you can experiment in different setup for your looping preference.

Ball Bearings | YoYo Wiki | Fandom.

2 Likes

My advise is remove only one metal shim per yoyo and use a thinner string (plus lube the bearings and axles of course), trust me your looping experience will be awesome.

Additional note: this also works on modern pulse.

1 Like

Currently my string setup for looping is the Ivory MUGEN that is made of cotton+nylon, but if I want to learn a new 2a trick I switch back to standard type poly+nylon since I don’t want my mugen supplies to be quickly consumed from learning looping tricks :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

My favorite is the Loop 720 with red/blue or stock spacers and kitty normal string. I like Loop Ups a lot too, but the price point of the 720 makes them better.

I’ve tried the following yoyos:
Blitzball 2.0s
Loop 360s
Loop 900s
Loop 1080s
Loop 2020s
Loop Ups
Modded Raiders/Fireballs
Sochi Loop Spinner
Sunrise
Sunset Trajectories
Unleasheds
Hornets

Out of the box the Loop 720 plays the best imo, but blitzballs, hornets, Sunrise, and the Loop Spinner are also great first looping yoyos.

2 Likes

Yeah the bearing is the regular MR84 bearing (size K), you can get those from YYE or just get in bulk from regular bearing supply stores.

The original bearing is good to be honest, I made it sound like having no shield is a big deal but it isn’t. Mine still runs the original bearing and I don’t feel like swapping them is worth the hassle. With slightly thinner lube like Singer oil, yes you will notice you need to relube more often, but with YYF looping oil (thicker) it lasts long enough that it’s practically a non issue.

What I’m getting from this thread is: if I’m just 2A curious and want to test the waters, a Loop720 may be the best option. And if I’m into it, I can upgrade to something more tweakable.

3 Likes

If you really want a low barrier for entry, I double looped Imperials for Fixed Axle February and it was ok. The Loop 720s are definitely a major upgrade.

3 Likes

Loop 720 are more popular, if you want a loop 720 with customizations included the Topyo Macaron is a loop 720 with a transaxle “for beginners,” and comes with a bearing with 2 sets of spacers when you are ready to use the bearing.
Its the same price as a loop 720.

The Loop 720 has a good level of customization too which is nice.

You have the following options:

Red spacers (stock)
Purple spacers (sometimes stock, higher precision red)
Blue Spacers
Sunrise Conversion kit (B sized bearing)
And the TopYo spacers @MarioMaker17 mentioned

Even though the 720 is great stock, there’s lots of setups to experiment with.

1 Like

Can someone please tell me what the Sunrise Conversion kit (B sized bearing) dose over the stock bearing and red spacers that come in the 720’s.

I bought the kit when I bought my 720’s but never did anything with it.

2 Likes

If you already own the kit… why don’t you just put them in your 720s and find out?

3 Likes