What’s the best front style yoyo...for you?

The only time it makes sense (to me) to really think about using a different yoyo configuration based on style is when you’re comparing 1A vs 2A/3A/4A/5A/etc. Within 1A itself, there just isn’t a strong enough distinction in terms of the techniques and skills involved between “front” and “side” tricks to be basing yoyo decisions on it. I think this is especially true when you consider how many front tricks are also performed sideways.

As @andy569 mentioned, the conversation changes if you’re talking about horizontal play. Grinds and fingerspin tricks also put special demands on a yoyo’s design. But to my mind there simply isn’t enough difference in the nature of the techniques involved between, for instance, The Matrix and The Zipper to change the yoyo used for each.

A larger conversation could arise from this: how many different yoyos should you play with? Is it a good idea to just use one or two, potentially putting yourself in a position where you can really do well with only those throws? Or is it better to play lots of different configurations and be more versatile?

2 Likes

I understand that. It’s just that I have a preference for certain yoyos and sizes for front and was wondering if anyone else did. That’s all.

I usually have these conditions for “good frontstyle yoyos”

not so narrow width

not snaggy/not small gap width

stable/does not tilt easily

not slow speed, not heavy weight and not “rock” weight distribution

long spinning

shape that is open, not too beefy rims

The “perfect” frontstyle yoyo for me would probably be:

45-46 width
4.5-4.7 gap width
bimetal-stable
Fast and light
Long spinning
Rounded/hard H or V shape

1 Like

Gap width can vary. String and pads still do have a big difference so gap width is definitely not specified but around that range, at the very least.

1 Like

Any yoyo.

“Front style” is the OG way, seriously basically anyone works.

String up a 4a throw, will still work.

No need to overthink this; throw yoyos, be happy.

2 Likes

I quite like using offstring yoyos for 1A, and yeah, especially frontstyle. Offstring yoyos can do 1a as long as ur using a thin string so it isnt responsive. String wraps are hard though, as the gap is smol

1 Like