Ask yoyo questions here

ask other people yoyo questions that have gone unanswered.
here’s one of mine:
is it viable to 3d print response pads with tpu?

2 Likes

You could probably just try that out if you have a 3D printer. I don’t think it’ll do too much harm to try, but I think the response would be more slippy than your typical response pads.

2 Likes

Is it okay to hate front throws ?

5 Likes

what do you mean? do you find it harder to do a front throw?

Yes, Breakaway and only do Sidestyle

5 Likes

Only if you do some horizontals. XD

1 Like

Of course, it’s not OK! You MUST love EVERYTHING about yoyos!

1 Like

yup, i never focused on front style, not to say people don’t or can’t make front style look amazing and can switch to and from side style, etc, i just prefer to learn side style stuff. but i would be a better player with those skills added in.

2 Likes

anyone else find that early 80’s and 90s Duncan butterfly and Wheels are like plastic model kits that were just thrown together without any prep or glue, and that you have to pull them them apart (if they don’t fall apart when opening the package) and tune them up to make them work out of the package? they certainly have come along way since then if you’ve been playing the latest ones, but its kinda fun to setup an old one to be really functional on day 1. like most yoyos from that era, they needed tuning or outright modding to play well and had limitations you don’t see much today.

Tried and can not recommend it due to layer lines and structure on the top layer. It works no doubt but my tpu was not ideal softness wise and silicon is so much easier :smile:

4 Likes

I’ve got a question, I’m not sure if this is the best thread for it or not…

What’s going on with Yomega?

They used to be one of the top names in yoyos. The brain was incredible for it’s day. And they were known for their loopers. Now it’s just the same rehashed stuff from decades ago. And after the first time I threw a Glide, I promised myself I would never waste my money on another Yomega.

Why aren’t they in this space anymore? Why haven’t they tried to keep up with other companies or even the times for that matter?

ok I have another one, why haven’t I seen any brass/stainless steel bimetals?

they’ve transitioned from being a yoyo company to being a toy company. quality is no longer the #1 goal, or at least that’s my take.

2 Likes

Yomega has changed owners a couple times since they made the classic yoyos.

1 Like

theres a recent brass component one from yyf miracle but incased inside of plastic rim, using brass material on the yoyo will undergo a “patina” color-changing effect as it oxidizes over a prolonged period of time unlike stainless steel.

Maybe yoyo companies only choose the safer side using SS and not making a big batch of brass rim yoyos due to oxidation.

1 Like

Brass and stainless steel bimetals, so with brass as the body and stainless steel as the rims?

That wouldn’t even work as a bimetal because brass is more dense than stainless steel. You’ll just end up with a yoyo that has a massive amount of center weight, which results in an unstable yoyo that doesn’t spin very long.

Then what about the body being stainless steel and the rims being brass?

With the current trend of throws getting lighter, not many people will enjoy an incredibly heavy yoyo, which a stainless steel yoyo with brass rims will be. A full sized stainless steel yoyo like the Topyo Steel, with its body machined to be extremely thin, about 0.7mm, still weighs 65.8g. A stainless steel and brass bimetal can’t afford to have its body machined so thin, which means additional weight. Brass itself is very dense, much denser than stainless steel so those rims would just add on much more weight to the yoyo. The resulting yoyo would probably end up in the 80-90g range or maybe even more, which isn’t exactly popular with a lot of people. The cost of machining stainless steel is also quite high, so expect such a yoyo to cost as much as monometal titanium yoyos or even tiss yoyos. With all of these factors, a lot of companies won’t bother making such a yoyo since there wouldn’t be much demand and they wouldn’t make bank.

Most interesting …. If you scroll down a few posts after yours, there is a guy named Mario. Click on his avatar to pull up his profile . One of his favorite yo-yos is the Yomega Glide…

Most interesting…

3 Likes

I used to be sponsored by Yomega.

If you have been modding the old Raider/Fireball vs the new ones, you’ll see how much difference the plastic quality is and how easily they break/crack. I used to ask for a new old stock (USA version) if they had one. There has been some quality issue that they didn’t address well (that I told them of course). Maybe they have an agreement with the factory that prevents them from improving the quality or change the material quickly enough, or maybe they already have too many in stock, I don’t know. Point is they don’t or can’t react quickly enough to feedback.

Also since the yoyo community is pretty small, the market cap is also small, so focusing selling yoyos in toy stores instead of to enthusiast / community might make more sense business wise, especially since they already have the brand recognition anyway.

Well, they did try to modernize by sponsoring Daniel Dietz, with the hope having a well known player will help (maybe with the design), this was also the time when they released the Glide and Prodigy. The Glide by itself was a good yoyo that I won a few local contests with, but it was probably too late since there are already tons of good quality metal yoyos back when it was released. Maybe had they released it in 2010 it would’ve been a hit. The Prodigy was the first design that really feels “modern”, but they suffer the same fate and fell into obscurity. They also made some cool “innovations” like the interchangeable yoyo (I forgot the name) where you can change the parts to change how it plays, but again most of them is a little too late. Not to mention, the today’s Yomega is not really the same as the old one, there has been changes in management, so there is that too.

tl;dr: Yomega could’ve been as big as Duncan had they innovate quickly enough and more responsive to quality issues.

5 Likes

The Prodigy was a good yo-yo. It was machined by One Drop and designed by Daniel Dietz and Nick Gumlaw.

2 Likes

That is absolutely true!