Ask yoyo questions here

i found an alloy that is insanely dense and is used for bearing assembly, other than the relatively high price, why isn’t it used?

(is is called tungsten iron nickel alloy)

1 Like

Tungsten may be more dense than steel, but it isn’t as strong. Brass is already more dense than steel, but brass isn’t commonly used because it’s also not as strong as steel. Brass (and tungsten) are more prone to warping during the machining and press fitting process, leading to a much higher defect rate. If a company doesn’t really care about a defect rate and is fine putting out a significantly more expensive yoyo design, sure it could be used if they really wanted to.

It’s already been used in the Eli Dert and ResTi-W, and I’m sure there’s others. So it’s not a new idea, it just doesn’t make much practical sense.

3 Likes

That’s a question with something that bother me from when I started yoyoing, this thing drive me insane everytime.

There is no way to remove the bearing shields easily? I watched thousand videos and technique and it’s always a mental struggle, I take at least 20 minutes to take out one side.

Today I had to clean the bearing of the yoyo I bring with me in Italy, it was so humid that the bearing get messed up during the end of the holidays, I went back today in London setup myself and ready to do it I had to give up.

Please help me my friends!

2 Likes

really? i took me 6 minutes to remove the shield on my a bearing? maybe you need a finer tool? i used the back of an old remembrance day poppy and that seemed to do the trick.

other than that i completely agree with you, bearing shields suck.

1 Like

I hear you brother, some clips come off easy some I guess I’ll never take off. No trick that I know of just persistence the other day I spent like 20 min trying to get the clip off and finally gave up, I thought to myself “I could be playing yo-yo instead of messing with this nonsense”, good luck I hope you get it and have a great New Year.

1 Like

How are swirls and splashes applied during the anodization of a yoyo, and why are they more uncommon than solids? Does the process generate more B grades?

They’re anodized, masked, stripped, anodized again, the masking is removed, then they’re finally sealed. There’s a lot more variables that can go wrong with more complex anodizations, but the more complex anodization will hide the flaws. People will notice immediately when a solid color has anodization flaws, but a more complex pattern will make them blend in.

But yes, because they’re anodized multiple times there are more opportunities for things to go wrong. So a higher rate of flaws is inevitable. Again though, it’s simultaneously a lot easier for splashed/washed/multicolor anodized yoyos to get away with having anodization flaws on A-grades, because it’s easier for minor ones to blend in.

The real reason you don’t see more swirls is most likely because of how labor intensive they are. This video shows masking off an entire rack of yoyos fairly quickly for a regular splash style. Now just imagine carefully masking off a swirl on each individual yoyo. 【C3 VLOG】C3yoyodesign | How Simpson Anodize C3 YOYOsssss?!?! - YouTube

2 Likes

Use sharper / smaller needle, even sharpen it with 1000 grit sandpaper if necessary. This used to be my problem too until I realized a new sharper needle is all I need, and then it’s just prying at the correct angle.

2 Likes

Oh wow! Thank you for the video, it was really eye-opening. Anodizing is truly an art and way more labor intensive than I realized. I can also imagine a ton of tests are done to figure out the right color combo and technique to use to achieve the desired design.

1 Like

Anyone remember the site from back then that explain yoyo tricks with words? I faintly remember but can’t find it by Googling.

That’s a good idea thanks a lot for the tip, I will try this today, is unbelievable how much time I waste on this simple task, it has to be done also because I use a yoyo a lot as “regular” so after a while it get messed up, also all the humid that the bearing take those weeks it kill it, I love to siliconing but that take out the bearing cage drive me really insane, I was swearing against it in Italian my girlfriend though I am crazy :rofl:

Thank Yo very much for sharing this way cool video. I absolutely love production facilities and the peeps who maintain them. I wish YoYoFactory Ben would shoot production videos. Like how many molds does a YYF 720 have…how many parts are made in a mold at one time…What does a YYF mold look like?

Always been curious?

1 Like