What’s the best front style yoyo...for you?

It’s hard to find people enthusiastic about front style like I am and I can understand that. My recent purchases of the Top Deck and Shutter have made me realize they were designed exclusively for side style. One day, when I have exausted front style and possibly become interested in side style these yoyos will be my go-tos but I find myself reaching for my Magic Yoyo Locus V6 or Sharks Honor N12 after using the Top Deck or Shutter and feeling such a relief especially with the slightly smaller V6 which seems perfectly geared for front style since there are no long distances catches and bouncing from string to string which the Top Deck and Shutter seem designed for. Does any of that make sense?
Edit: I changed the topic title because I was really asking about personal preferences. Sorry if I was unclear.

1 Like

Not sure I don’t really do front style. I’d say wide and fast yo-yos are what seem to work

2 Likes

Not really diggin’ wide since there are not a lot of intricate catches like side style.

Hmm I like wide because it makes front style speed easier

2 Likes

I find the opposite to be true. With the same throw I found my V6 had much more speed and spin time than the Shutter. That’s just my own experience!

:thinking: what makes a yo-yo designed for ‘side style’, exactly? Can you elaborate?

I’m having trouble with this

3 Likes

okay i dont mean to be rude but usually the “side style” you refer to is called horizontal. front style can also be confused with frontstyle combos in the split bottom mount. its getting confusing

Pretty sure he’s talking about a regular throw (front) vs breakaway, trapeze etc (side)

I really don’t think your shutter or top deck pose ant issue at all to front style tricks man.

I’ve got a shutter and I use it a ton for the type of tricks you’re talking about. I think you might just be over thinking it a little bit.

If you like smaer yoyos, then buy something small, but if you feel like a shutter/top deck aren’t capable of your goals, I don’t think buying a new yoyo is gonna solve the issue.

Keep at it, dude, I’m sure you’re gonna accomplish what you want if you really practice with thosd

You shouldn’t really be having any trouble with front style tricks on any unresponsive 1A yoyo. I would say it has more to do with the strings, bearings and response you’re using.

Have you tried using different strings? I like to use a shorter thinner string than I normally would for break away / side style. Could just be my preference but I find front style a lot more comfortable with a super slick unresponsive setup.

Let your response pads break in a bit and have a play around with different setups until you find something that works better for you.

Shutter is pretty much a solid all-around yoyo, not really specialized for a specific thing - I don’t have experience with a Top Deck though.

2 Likes

When I came back to yoyo last Christmas I find ‘side’ style really difficult to get used to because all of my previous yoyo experience when I was younger was ‘front’ style. I now find myself doing side style far more however I must echoe what others say in that all 1A yoyos are just fine for doing front style. For example I have no difficulty at all doing any front style tricks with my shutter.

3 Likes

Wide gap and a design for easier catches.

1 Like

Side style, sidestyle, horizontal. Anything beginning with a breakaway. I’ve seen all 3 terms used. Semantics.

2 Likes

I wasn’t looking to buy anything new…I already have found a few yoyos with dimensions that work perfectly for me. I wasn’t putting any particular yoyo down. It’s like shoes…if another person gave me a pair of their most comfortable shoes, they may feel UNComfortable to me.

1 Like

I’m all unresponsive and concaves. I wasn’t complaining about what I have, I was just wondering if anyone else had an ideal front style yoyo. It took me a lot of purchases to find exactly what I was looking for. I’m a happy camper.

I can do everything I know how to do on my Top Deck and Shutter but I find I more greatly enjoy doing everything I can do on my V6 (unresponsive, of course).

1 Like

I never really thought about what yoyos are good for frontstyle. If it’s good for sidestyle it’s good for frontstyle.

I’ve never had a yoyo that was great for sidestyle but not so great for frontstyle. Including the Shutter and Top Deck. I’m going to have to agree with a few others and say I’m not really sure what makes a good frontstyle yoyo that’s different from what makes a good sidestyle yoyo.

Horizontal is of course a completely different story.

2 Likes

Just fishing for opinions. I stated my preference. For me, it’s not that a yoyo is able to handle front style, it’s what yoyo feels most comfortable and enjoyable doing front style. I’m thankful for all the opinions.

1 Like

Any throw medium-sized is my favorite :’)

2 Likes

Me too. Medium to 56mm tops.

1 Like