What is yo-yo vibe and how do I test for it?

After reading this thread, I am not a “Vibe Elietest”.

There was a very noticeable change, so started looking for answers, but ended up asking the question.

This is not a expensive yoyo, but not the cheapest either as far as beginner Plastic goes.

Thank you for the feedback. I will take a look at the bearing, maybe try to center the axel as best I can? I guess its try and repeat things as necessary.

Not too tight, Not too loose? I will see if I can find that spot.

I will look into the suggested needles.

1 Like

Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, only in some yoyos, the bearing seat is so tight that my normal method of screwing the yoyo down (with one resting on my palm and the other twist the yoyo until it slips on the palm) doesn’t totally close the yoyo halve causing vibe. The quick fix is to just tighten it a bit more.

Other reason could be the anodizing wear out a little on the bearing seat causing the position of the yoyo halves slightly different. You may want to try flipping the bearing or axle to reduce the vibe.

I would suggest against opening the yoyo unless it is totally necessary, just to minimize the chances of wearing the bearing seat and or the thread. A knot can usually be undone with a toothpick, except very few nasty ones where you just have to open.

1 Like

I find that with most yo-yos the axle partially loosens when the yoyo is unscrewed. Theoretically, it will re-tighten when the halves are screwed back together, but that isn’t a guarantee. I suspect that with some combinations of axle length, axle seat depth, bearing post depth etc. it is possible to reach a point where the axle threads are fully engaged but the bearing seats are not.

I always confirm that the axle is fully seated on one side before screwing the yoyo back together. Flipping the axle could achieve the same result, and simply unscrewing and re-assembling the yoyo could eventually correct the situation.

I think that using a needle/toothpick wherever possible to undo knots is a great recommendation. I have a very heavy gauge rounded-tip sewing needle that works well without scratching the finish.

Edit: I am also very cautious about over tightening, and sometimes the solution is just to tighten the halves a tiny fraction more.

2 Likes

Sorry to bring this old thread up but I’m curious about something. Does initial throw vibe before doing the nail test mean anything? I dinged my peregrine off the carpet yesterday and I think from what I recall it seems to wobble alot more now in the initial throw. Once I do the nail test though it’s almost “dead smooth”. Is it just something I may of not noticed that is just from my sloppy throws or could dinging it off the carpet caused the initial throw to have more of a wobble?

1 Like

Sounds like a sloppy throw to me. @Yooo

2 Likes

a good test is to smooth it out with your finger in the gap first, once it stabilizes out any bad throw you should try the nail test. never failed me

2 Likes

Usually not an issue but also companies packing things appropriately so shipping companies have minimal chance of screwing it up. This one had a mean bend in it (as did its box) and manhandling it a bit reduced the vibe somewhat.

2 Likes

Yeah I think it is. It does seem to have the slightest amount of vibe than it did brand new but nothing really to care about.

Thanks, yeah thats what I’m doing and it goes smooth. I just notice it more with the Peregrine for some reason compared to my other throws so it kinda had me wondering. I’d rather believe it’s the throw anyway so I don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Yup! This is how I check for vibe as well.

1 Like

When my Peregrine arrived, I noticed a bit more movement towards the rim.

Not a physics major, but perhaps it is due to the composition of the yoyo and the amount of rim weight. A sloppy throw probably exaggerates the motion as the yoyo attempts to find its ‘center’ as energy disperses outward?

In either case, what a fantastic yoyo.

1 Like