What Is The Loudest Bearing Noise You Don't Mind?

I thought of a question that I would like to get a general idea of in of the yoyo community. That being, what is the loudest bearing noise that you personally don’t mind? I don’t mind loud bearings much at all as long as I’m not yoyoing in public. How about y’all?

I like mine silent/near silent. Makes my yoyos seem smoother :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

If it sounds like this:

Then I like it.  ;D

Most of the time when I’m throwing I have headphones in anyway, so a little noise doesn’t bother me as long as the performance isnt affected.

1 Like

Is it just me, or when a yoyo is near silent, it makes it a heck of a lot harder determining if a yoyo is running out of spin? And that “crunch” that that bearing noise has in that video is so… gross XD

Any bearing noise that is not from a problem that has rendered it responsive.

I don’t mind noise unless it is screaming like a banshee.

On this issue I have gone through many phases, when I first started throwing I didn’t mind a loud bearing. Now that I have a baby I have to be a real throw ninja. All of my bearings go through a very serious cleaning process. My cleaning regiment is done every Thursday night and the results are a smooth sounding bearing with just a light buzz. So to answer the question best not silent but not screaming, a happy medium.

I really don’t mind any bearing noise, it’s the people around me that seem to mind it…

I like to hear it, but not have that crunch sound that you get when grit gets in the bearing. A slight buzz, but enough to tell when it’s running out of spin. As nice as a super silent bearing is, it can get kind of annoying when you bind and it hits way too hard.

Yeah I like the noise my terrapin ceramic makes after its spun for about a minute. It makes change in sound and actually seems like it starts spinning faster. Besides that as long as it’s not a terrible grinding sound I’m ok lol

I like mine damn near silent. I feel like im bothering co workers when they get noisy, so I have a bottle of acetone and a bottle of one drop lube at my desk. actually just cleaned a bearing this morning as it was starting to make noise!

plus my wife appreciates the quiet throws!

Aha! So its not just me who thinks silent bearings make spin time harder to notice!

So I see alot of people looking theirs really silent. I can’t say I’m too surprised.

I prefer a light/mild hiss. Not silent, and not crunchy. My preferred bearing is terrapin ceramic and my preferred lube id terrapin dry. thats bound to make a little noise even after the acetone drop finisher…

Definitely silent. I find absolute dead silence and smoothness just a BIIIT too much, but “pretty close” is good enough.

I don’t tend to run particularly long combos, so I usually just trust that I’m not going to run out of spin. But when I’m working on tricks, it’s good to have a weeee bit of audible feedback.

The most important thing is not disturbing others (mainly my wife, if I decide to throw a bit while watching TV together) but I admit, when I’m all alone, if that bearing is crunchy, rattly, or even too hissy, I’m put off. A gentle and consistent hiss isn’t so bad, though. The erratic noises always make me think the bearing is somehow defective, even if it hasn’t gone responsive yet. :smiley:

I throw a lot when my wife and I are watching TV. Seems to be a good time for me.

1 Like

this is my favorite sound ever

You’ve GOT to be kidding XD

Put a factory-fresh CTX in a Dogma. The near silence and smooth operation was lovely.

The string chasing the axle and the yoyo occasionally responding… not as much. Haha! Still not broken in. Occasionally I give up on a CTX and just clean it…

I will definitely put that on my to-do list, thank you for the suggestion