What is the float goat in your opinion

C3 BTH
Or
JT Shaqshine Bros 107/109

Float GOAT guaranteed :penguin:

Luftverk 000(7068/Ti) & Yoyofficer Orbis

None. Despite my extensive experimentation to make a yoyo be pulled by the earth’s gravitational pull to a lesser degree than another yoyo, I haven’t been able to.

Since I don’t think floatiness is real I’ll just describe the most wacky light yoyo I’ve ever played

I played with an Alu Float that was printed to Ti Float wall thickness and it was literally like playing with an aluminum can on a string it was horrifying

3 Likes

Yoyojam new bread is the most floaty i have tried.

2 Likes

Floaty is absolutely an attribute to yoyos and a valid feeling that certain throws have.
It’s not necessarily that the yoyos are “hovering” more than others, but it’s a certain built quality and method of weight distribution combined with the yoyos size that creates the “floaty” feeling that many will describe.

I’ve been throwing for over 25 years now and two yoyos specifically come to mind as being more “floaty” than any other yoyo I have tried (which from that time of throwing, that’s a lot of yoyos! :grimacing:)
The Yoyojam New Breed
And the ART Grail.

Both of these yoyos have a unique build quality that really gives them that unique light and “airy” feel. Whats interesting is that both yoyos are not actually very similar at all. One is a full metal with very little rim weight, and the other is a hybrid plastic with side caps and a metal rim. One thing they do both share in common is that they are both oversized yoyos which I feel contributes to their feeling. And both have a large inner bowl area that extends far from the inside walls of the yoyo body itself.
Both those attributes I feel contribute a lot to this feeling.

I always experiment and try out new yoyos whenever I get the chance, but as of now, these two throws are my “Float Goats” for now :slight_smile:

G̷͈̦̞̭̬̈̈́͐̈́͋̋͆͒ ̴̞̈́€̴̰͒̂̆͘ ̸̡͓̠̤̤̑̌͌T̵̨̯̲͉̣̩̹̈́̂̀ ̸̨̛̬͙̆͋̔͋̎̅͝5̴̛̅̀̈́̒͂̚͜A̴̧̙̬͕̠̹̬̪̮̿̍͊̒͗͋̉̃̂͐̃͜F̷͉̲̱̹̖̣͕̗͋̄͗͆̿̑ ̶͍̿̆́̑̚͘͠͝Ĺ̸̛̻̣̹̦͖̩̯͖́̈́̌͑ ̷̝̼̃͌́͌̒͘Ô̸̭͓̣̯̲̿͗́ ̶̹̺̆̀̅̂∆̴̡̟̤̫͈̖̋̈́ ̶̡̧̛̰̩̟͗̄͑͗̔̕+̵̨͚͙̳̮͙̿̋͝ ̶̨͈̿̋̉͘͝¥̴͓̭͇̺̻͓͔̅̈̾́͛̒̕

10 Likes

Smashing Yoyos Crucible (50g organic).

To me, floatiness is basically the antithesis of a yo-yo feeling “solid”. Aspects of a yo-yo’s play which usually lead to this in my experience include:

1. The yo-yo feels light (note: the feeling of lightness comes just as much from the weight distribution as the actual mass).
  2. The yo-yo isn’t hyper speedy. Floaty throws tend to have a relaxed, medium pace where you don’t feel rushed.
  3. The yo-yo can change direction reasonably easily, giving it a flow-y feeling.

The combination of these traits often leads to an overall floaty feeling to me where the yo-yo feels lighter than it is which can be very enjoyable. In my experience, oversized yo-yos and yo-yos with either more centre weight or more even weight distributions tend to lead to this feeling.

That’s how I’d break down what leads to a yo-yo feeling floaty in terms that are a bit more concrete and less vague. “Float” is definitely one of the more vague and ill defined terms people commonly use to describe yo-yos (similar to how people used to describe some yo-yos as having “soul” to how they play).

Note: these are just my thoughts and are not a definitive definition, I just don’t find descriptions like “extra hang time” helpful or particularly descriptive since, as Gingie said, all yo-yos are affected by gravity equally.

Edit: I think there’s been some misunderstanding of my attempt to describe how I view floatiness so I’ve reworded my post to hopefully be more clear.

1 Like

I’m confused by the description of “easy to change directions”. This should simply be an issue of weight, as weight is the only one of two physical attributes that impact inertia. Inertia is mass x speed, so the slower or lighter an object is, less force is required to affect its velocity (speed in one particular direction). Since speed is variable to the particular style or trick (or section of a trick) then objectively speaking, the only attribute of a yo-yo that can have any effect on the force required to change a yo-yos direction is the weight of the yoyo.

However, when it comes to perception, there is obviously an issue of density and how that affects our perception. When I had an El Mijo (original 7075 al) and a Respawn Lite, the respawn lite felt heavier to my brain, despite being at least a few grams lighter. Also, I would say the single 4a yo-yo I have (Duncan pandamonium) feel’s lighter than most of my other yo-yos.

1 Like

Atmos Pomelo is really light and airy to play with. It’s just massive for how light it is.

3 Likes

One issue that I have with the term floaty is that there seems to be two separate definitions that are used but to me are completely different.

The definition that I would term as floaty is: a yoyo that feels as though it has extra hangtime when playing. When you pop the yoyo up, it seems to fall slower than other yoyos.

The other definition that is used is: A yoyo that responds quickly and easily to the movements of a yoyo player.

These two terms cannot be combined to create one term for floaty, as a yoyo with extra hangtime will respond slower and less easily to movements of a yoyo player than a yoyo without that feeling in play.

I use maneuverable for the second definition rather than floaty.

5 Likes

A super underrated, organic, floaty boy is the Throwing Sideways Sistine. I’ve heard that some people have compared it to the grail in terms of feel. I have not had the opportunity to throw a grail BUT the Sistine is well worth a try

1 Like

Rotational inertia might add nuance to change in direction.

1 Like

I also thought floaty referred to the hang time effect or how light it feels on the string despite being heavy. Light and maneuverable does not equal floaty.

Out of all the yo-yos I have or have tried, the floatiest one is probably the OPYoyos Peach. YYF Sugar also has a surprising amount of hang time.

2 Likes

Agree, I think of Michael Jordan when talking about float.

2 Likes

our definitions line up pretty nicely, the second is a description of maneuverable or agile to me

1 Like

I think A-rt Inhaler

2 Likes

Ywet

16cad1041a38dc48ee988f389a8c6e10_edit_809843622600905

17 Likes

Buoys float.
And the TRT buoy lives up to its name.

3 Likes
  1. A-RT Grail
  2. Duncan FH1AL with Plastic Caps
  3. MK1 Contact