What is the BEST ......

way to determine what is best? Every time I come to the forum everyone is asking, "What’s the best string? What’s the best yoyo? What’s the best bearing? What’s the best trick? What’s the best? What’s the best? What’s the best?

I find this interesting as at one time I often had the very same questions. What is it, about our nature that we have to know what the “best” is? Does the best even matter? If so, when does it begin to matter? What makes it the best? Is it because someone won a contest using it? Is it because someone says so? Is it because the hype makes us believers?

I don’t ask this question much anymore, I’m not certain why, I just don’t. I’m more likely to ask how one thing differs from the other and what the overall effect is. Maybe I’m looking more for understanding and knowledge, rather than a quick answer. Maybe I have grown a thicker skin to hype and fad. Maybe none of that is the reason, it just is.

I’m not certain the best even exists in the yoyo world. Even if it does, I’m not certain what standard measures best. Can best even be agreed upon? It’s fleeting, ever changing, evolving, it’s perception.

However, I know without anyone telling me, without any studies, without any hype, yoyoing is the best!

So when you ask “What’s the best?” I’ll answer, “You tell me. What’s your best?” You’ll be right until you find your next best!

2 Likes

If you ever question what is best just think about the yoyo in your hand right now, thats the best. think of the trick you just did, thats the best. think of who is throwing that yoyo and doing that trick. whos the best? you’re the best!

1 Like

I always think of it like this.

Instead of “What’s the best”, I think of it as What’s the best for you.

People are naturally competitive, especially us guys. It’s only natural to want to be the best, or compete with the best, or use the best gear, no matter what sport/hobby it is. Most people just don’t like searching on forums for stuff that keeps getting regurgitated, but that’s what forums are for, new threads…otherwise it would just be an archive.

This yoyo community really strives for acceptance for all people and levels of play, and that’s what keeps it going. Let’s face it, there’s always someone better.

Dave

Here’s what I think about “what’s the best”: I don’t care.

I want good stuff. I see what others say. I read recommendation posts. I check other forums so I get more input.

Bottom line is so far, I like everything I throw but I do have preferences. I have some I don’t like as much as others, but others I simply have to play almost every day. I think the DM2 is my most favorite yoyo and one I have to(or want to) throw every time I throw. I have stuff more expensive, such as many CLYW’s, a Phenom, Phenomizm, Code 1, 54, MMN and others in the $100 category, as well as inexpensive models. I can have tons of fun with any wing-shaped yoyo I have until I learn looping, and by then I can enjoy modified shapes even more.

So, truly, it’s not “what IS the best”, but “what is the best for you”. If you like it and are happy with it, then honestly, it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks.

As long as there are many brands and models, we’ll always have the “what is best” debate. So here’s a concept: Yoyos that aren’t that great don’t stick around long. I’ll make exceptions for the YYF dv888 and 888.x models as those go through regular tweaking annually as part of the concept behind these yoyos apparently. That’s cool, I won’t say anything bad about that. It’s like car model years… But, back to my point: bad yoyos don’t stick around and get discontinued fast because people don’t like them. Plus, personal preferences vary. A guy I know just detests the dv888, but I like my dv888. This is merely proof you can’t please everyone and companies know this.

So, rather than look for “What’s the best”, I’d rather try to compile data and then through calculated purchases, figure out what is best for me. Right now, it’s probably the Phenom, but I like throwing my DM2 better. Now that I am screwing around with 4A, I’m liking my Fiesta XX over my Big Yo and beater Aquarius. I’m playing around with 5A and am limiting myself to Duncan stuff because that’s what I have that came with counter weights and I’m happy to say I’m pleased with the results, performance and feel of the FHZ and FH2 as a 5A yoyo.

There is no best yoyo its all about preference :stuck_out_tongue:

There IS a best, and there is also a worst.

There has to be.

Think about it.

Did you even read the first post??

I just don’t see the same volume of postings and threads for discussion of the WORST.

And since it’s all about preferences, it’s all subjective anyways.

Yeah…

There are just too many variables to say for certain one is the best. Define best…best for string tricks, best for looping, best for price, best for color? What’s best?

I believe all those “what’s best” questions are just not relevant. like going to a grocery store looking to buy a car.

expect this or that to be the “best” and you’re setting yourself up for disappointment