What happened to the forum topic list layout?

It used to put the category in its own column, but now the category tag is jammed under every topic title, which breaks up the topic titles (vertically) in a really unreadable way. Is there a way to configure this in my user settings?

5 Likes

I thought it was just me.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by this, can you take a screenshot or explain a little more what you mean?

1 Like

Looks like this now:

yye

1 Like

Well, I don’t really remember the categories being in their own separate column. So you’re saying that this is more unclear to you?

It is less readable to me, yes. It is a poor use of vertical space, IMO. The old layout fit more topics on the screen vertically. Having the category in its own column made the layout look like a proper table layout, but that’s gone now.

3 Likes

I’m sure @codinghorror will see this later this afternoon, he’s your man

2 Likes

Hmm, this is how it always looked on my iPad. I’m not sure if there is a setting that can change that.

3 Likes

It never looked this way in Chrome on my desktop PC. It suddenly switched to this new layout this morning upon a page refresh.

1 Like

Same thing here. It’s definitely changed

1 Like

Another here who noticed the change. I don’t like it this way, as mentioned you can’t fit as many topics in the vertical space with the categories underneath the header.

1 Like

Most monitors are widescreen landscape oriented, and with tabs and bookmarks taking up space at the top and task bars and such taking up space at the bottom, vertical space is at much more of a premium than horizontal space, which is comparatively abundant and not taken up by anything except the web page contents themselves.

It is a new default, details are at

1 Like

You know, I don’t think this was unreasonable at all. It’ll take a little bit of getting used to, but I kind of like having it set up this way. It’s not a deal-breaker either way, really.

Nope, I don’t like it. I understand I have no agency here. But personally I would prefer it the way it was before. Being able to sort by category is whatever, but the placement of the category tag was better before IMO.

However, if this is going to be a permanent change (based on the discourse provided in codinghorror’s link)…

This guy’s theme is way more slick than the way we have it now IMO:

1 Like

Well I hope you never browse on mobile, because it’s always been category-under on mobile :wink:

1 Like

Yes, I do browse on mobile. The categories being highlighted in box makes them the primary focus of each item, rather than the title of the thread. A more subtle representation would be easier for me to browse (like the example I posted above). My eye is drawn to the category, not the topic. If the intent is to focus the user onto topics primarily with categories as a secondary focus, then currently it’s working the opposite way for me when I look at any of the views (other than the category one). For mobile I’d also rather not have the category below the title which would allow more titles per screen, but this is a minor gripe. It doesn’t prevent me from browsing the site (the “it looks like an excel spreadsheet” argument in the Discourse thread you posted is more an argument of form over function in my opinion).

But as this is all within your sphere of influence, I defer to your expertise.

Again, my $0.02 isn’t worth the metal the coins are minted from! :smiley:

Honestly this is the first forum that I have visited that puts everything under one view. If you wanted to browse various subforums, you would have to go back to a more general menu and click the heading in which to view the posts under it. The general feel of this method provides all subforums with appropriate views instead of being buried underneath more rare subforums. I like this setup for forums that dont have an extreme amount of activity (aka the best forums).

This new setup is easier to parse and I like it better. Granted ive only been here for a month or two so I was never used to the old setup to begin with, but just scroll if you want to see more. I get 9 topics in one window now vs 11 from before. Not really a big deal at all.

1 Like

Ah yes… good points! If you want to see the category view it is there, click the CATEGORIES link at the top

Ive noticed that I could, but on forums like this that arent hyperactive, this is by far a more superior format. This forum has quite a unique format from the ones im used to, and whoever is in charge has made some good choices imo.

1 Like