Is B/S/T too dominant?

One question from @smileypants707 I wanted to answer in public because I thought a public discussion would benefit more people:

Not that it bothers me so much that I don’t want to be on the Forum, but I was wondering if there’s any way that you could separate the BST from the other categories in the feed.

Like, have all of the BST stuff in a separate part of the form so that it’s not part of the main feed. That’s like all I see most days when I check in, is BST stuff. I don’t really buy sell or trade very often and I feel like it just kind of dominates the forum most days.

I hear you. One thing you can do is mark that category as muted in your user preferences under Notifications, Categories. Once you mute the category it won’t show up on the default latest feed, but bear in mind a mute is pretty nuclear… even if you are mentioned in a buy/sell/trade topic, you won’t get notified about it. :hear_no_evil:

You can still visit the Buy / Sell / Trade category manually of course if you want to see those topics. Not quite sure if this meets your goals but it’s one way…

Second question kind of unrelated but I’ll answer it here for the same reasons.

Also, is there any way that the OP can be visible on the posts in the feed? Or am I missing that somewhere? Usually, all I see is the profile picture of the last person that commented on a certain thread. Sometimes it’s kind of confusing.

On mobile, that is indeed the way it is, because if you only ever saw the avatar of the topic creator it gets super onerous and repetitive after the 150th reply since you would only ever see one avatar: the topic creator avatar.

This is a non-issue on desktop and laptop and tablet because there’s room to display more than one avatar. That is sadly not the case on mobile, just no screen room to do anything else. On top of that, I’d argue pretty strongly that the topic creator isn’t that important in the big scheme of things… the topic matters, and replies matter, but “oh that’s the topic Sally started” just doesn’t matter that much as far as actual conversations go.

2 Likes

You know, I had no idea I could mute categories. That’s perfect, thank you

1 Like

The other place to set your category preferences is to visit the category, then press the notification control at top right, like so

1 Like

Really helpful. Thanks @codinghorror. :slight_smile:

And I know what you mean @smileypants707. I use the BST so it doesn’t bother me at all having it in the feed but I suppose if I didn’t it may.

2 Likes

The other way is to sort by category rather than latest, which is my preference.