BST Sub categories?

I feel that it might be easier @AndreBoulay @YoYoExpertGarrett if there could be a sub category for selling, one for trading and one for LF:

2 Likes

does that mean that someone would have to make 3 separate posts when they would normally just make one?

3 Likes

Well no, it would be if you are looking for some thing put it just in LF. but you can also put it in 2 categories at the same time

Strictly personal opinion…
I disagree. Much better to have it all in one place. Easier to find stuff as I see it.

5 Likes

Like its be in BST catagory, but also in a separate category More like a filter

Or maybe you could just run Kyle’s posts through a filter that would keep them all in just one place?

5 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

I personally think there are to many BST posts in the first place. I did propose sub categories, but the only real benefit is you can find specific stuff a little bit easier, like with my style subcategories I proposed, I mainly wanted it because in the search bar you can’t just type ‘4A’ you have to type more, but I just wanted to browse all the 4A threads or something. Personal opinion though.

3 Likes

I agree. The rule used to be “one” active BST post per user. That changed a bit ago to “two” per. My opinion is it should be one. That’d help a bit.

6 Likes

At first I thought having FS, FT, and LF sub categories makes a lot of sense. But after thinking about it some more the problem is that a number of people posting FS stuff also don’t mind trading in the end. Of course some of the LF posters mention having things they are willing to trade if someone has what they’re looking for. So, while separate sub categories might be helpful for browsing in some situations, it all ends up being jumbled together in the end so might as well all be in one place. As long as people continue to put FS FT LF in the beginning.

Sometimes when browsing it would be nice to filter out one or two of the categories (example: shopping on YYE for string then selecting the check-mark to show only one brand). I think this is more of what Kyle envisioned above when he mentioned filters (I could be wrong). But, a filter like that might take some work to get running for a forum like this, if it’s even possible, and the benefits wouldn’t outweigh the programming work (I don’t think anyways).

I agree there are too many BST posts. By far that category has the most posts per month. Other forums (guitars, darts, golf) I’ve been on have had larger requirements before being able to post in BSTs, whether it be 50 posts, a number of forum browsing hours, or number of topics read…sort of like here before being able to send private messages. That might help, and would cut down on the “can we trust you” aspect as well.

3 Likes

well, id say 2. one for selling/trades, and one for looking for/trades, but only if you are LF and selling at the same time, other wise stick to one

I’ve advocated for the concept of stricter requirements for a very long time. Worked very well on TheYo forums (30 days and 30 posts). Here all it takes is a couple of days and a couple of posts to qualify for BST privs.

5 Likes

nope! this is exactly what i was thinking of, something that would help, but only if you wanted it

1 Like

[quote=“rumstove, post:10, topic:324581, full:true”]
…I agree there are too many BST posts. By far that category has the most posts per month…[/quote]

Part of the issue is with the way discourse list topics with subcategories. When I go to the BST forum it shows all for sale/trade etc as well as trader feedback and archives. To just see the BST posts I have to click on the “none” flag in the filter box. This clears up some of the items.

In fact the way discourse handles subcategory posts may have a similar effect on what kyle is suggesting - they all show up intermingled.

2 Likes

I wish there was a filter for BST so I could view all posts but BST. Some days there is such a flood of BST posts that it drowns out the other categories.

2 Likes

if you view by ‘categories’ instead of ‘latest’ that should resolve your viewing experience

2 Likes

Except that I have to go to each category separately which takes a lot of clicking.

1 Like

The filter is none, trader feedback or archive. None removes everything but the real BST, trader feedback gives just that, archive gives just that. Doing nothing gives you the whole jumbled mess. Welcome to discourse…

2 Likes

and to think all of this is free @jhb8426!!!

3 Likes

YES, and it’s worth every penny. :+1:

3 Likes